+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

Very true - but I've seen plenty of chefs pull things off with a challenge like that and their final dessert ended up better than what was originally planned.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Newbie

So very well said AWFielder! Nick has pulled himself up many times and I hope his
    story gives other the inspiration to fight for their dreams. I think everyone loves a
    good pick yourself off the floor story and in all honesty, most of us have been in
    that position in their own lives at one point or another.
    Nick may have not been a favorite but, does deserve respect for not giving up on
    his dream and passion.
    Again, very well said!
    Florimel likes this.

Yes, Arielflies, that is a very good point and correction. Nina did not make a mistake at the store but assumed their workspace would have an ice cream maker. If they were on the Food Network competing on IRON CHEF, no problem. They use it almost every challenge making ice cream out of shrimp or some other inexplicable flavor. Assuming the restaurant they were assigned to would have the machine without a confirmation was risky and didn't pay off. I disagree with Gail's blog completely there was no underdog. Nick came within a hair's breadth of the exit door a dozen times. I think Tom made an interesting point about Nick peaking at exactly the right moment. Nina's final disadvantage was being so damn good week after week her narrative lacked drama or an 11th hour reversal. Not trying to get too political, look at the fascinating race for the Democratic nomination in 2008. Hillary was labeled inevitable, the front runner long before that endless primary season got under way with its backbiting debates every other week. Obama had the benefit of being the new guy and could build momentum. Four years later, Mitt slammed Obama in the first debate because he was the new guy versus the establishment. Like any good drama, Nina needed a character arc to turn her incredible cooking, respect for others, and cool head in the kitchen into a cliffhanger. Since we weren't flown to Maui to do any tasting, the folks at Bravo and us loyally following via DVR can never forget that TOP CHEF is first and foremost, a television show.
    Tmull2013 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Tom has taken to twitter today to defend Nick's cooking, linking to reviews of his restaurant. It has me thinking that what was dis likable about Nick was his attitude, not his food. I think he came into Top Vhef with unrealistic expectations and was unprepared. The reason he did poorly was not that he was lacking in skills, but couldn't adjust to the constraints of the challenges. After the break before the finale, he got to adjust those expectations. So when he arrived in Hawaii he had a better idea of what he'd be up against and that's why he cooked so much better. That explains why he's not the first winner who struggled through the season. There's pros and cons to the break before the finale. It allows a chef like Nick to adjust and do better. But it allows a chef like Nina to get complacent and lose her edge for the finale. That also makes it tricky in judging the winner for the entire season vs just the final challenge.
    AWfielder likes this.

Tom can tweet, facebook, go on WWHL and every talk show in the world to defend his reason why Nick won. The problem is that most Top Chef viewers disagree. I know I am personally done with ever watching this show again. If most of the viewers do the same Top Chef will be finished & then Tom will become a 'what ever happened to' moment.
    sparklete likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

All I can judge by is where I would choose to dine. Those restuarants would be Nick's, Shirley's, Janine's, Louis', and maybe Stephanie's, probably in that order. Nick was a most deserving winner to me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

People have said the tricky thing about Top Chef is that the viewers can't taste the food so they can't really participate in the judging. It's true. So I don't understand how viewers can say the judges made the wrong choice. They said it was the closest decision ever. But don't the judges who ate the food know better than the viewers?
    Florimel, marauder and mesachick like this.

No of course we have no clue what the food tasted like. I disliked Nick for his sorry excuse for rude & bad attitude. Editing can only be made to go so far. It can't hide your misjudgement that caused a team member to go home only because you won immunity. It can't hide the fact that you thought you & you alone owned the kitchen, you banging pots around & you yelling at your staff.
    I have watched this show since the beginning and did not always agree with the choice of winner but I still watched the following season. I have never seen such anger at the winner. It is a shame to allow one particular judge & his over inflated ego to ruin what once was a fantastic cooking show. I watch The Taste & enjoy it. 4 big egos on that show but no one dominates.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

If Tom wants to avoid this kind of audience reaction from happening again, then he should get more involved in his title of executive producer and monitor how they are editing the chef's stories. It is completely logical for the audience to be turned off Nick based on the edit he got. If it turns out that he wasn't as bad/neurotic a guy as he was portrayed, then Tom needs to make sure that the editors stop letting his own words come back to bite him in the ass.

But my guess is that Nick really was as much of a pill as he was portrayed, and Tom is just going to have to live with this kind of pushback. He failed to make a convincing case in the bits of the judges' table we saw, and he has contradicted himself more than once since the finale in all his defensive blogs/tweets. The show used to be better at making the food the star, instead of focusing more on the conflicts and unflattering moments. Maybe they need to get back to that.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

I think the way to resolve that would be for the judging to include all elements of being a chef and not just the cooking. If they included things like leadership, then as Hugh pointed out, Nick would have been held back for it. But then they'd have to change the competition to truly judge all those other elements.
    AWfielder likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast