+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 2/5 Finale Show Discussion

Fan Favorite goes to . . . NINA!!!! And she accepted it very graciously.

It really seemed as if Tom was gunning for Nick during Judges' Table. Clearly there were disappointments among the diners while they were eating, yet at Judges' Table Tom didn't have a negative thing to say about Nick - he didn't even take off points for lack of seasoning (!!!!), which is nearly the ONLY problem Tom ever has with peoples' food.

So, I'm so disappointed that Nina made the missteps that cost her the title of Top Chef. She clearly outperformed Nick (and everyone else except Shirley) throughout the season but her finale meal missed the mark.

Back when Stephanie beat Blais, and when Kevin beat Angelo & Ed, I was ok with those wins because Stephanie & Kevin had been quietly impressing all season. When Hosea beat Stefan, that was Stefan's own carelessness, but Hosea hadn't been impressive either all season. The difference with Nick is that he has not only not impressed, he had failed miserably several times during the season and should have been booted more than once but unfortunately for Nina, she made her mistakes at the wrong moment.

After a season of rockin' the competition....Nina was robbed!

Clearly, Tom wanted Nick to become Top Chef. It's his show and, in the end, if there's not a majority decision, he gets what he wants. (I think Emril was on the fence and couldn't, in all good conscience, make a choice....therefore the tie.)

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    Fan Favorite goes to . . . NINA!!!! And she accepted it very graciously.

It really seemed as if Tom was gunning for Nick during Judges' Table. Clearly there were disappointments among the diners while they were eating, yet at Judges' Table Tom didn't have a negative thing to say about Nick - he didn't even take off points for lack of seasoning (!!!!), which is nearly the ONLY problem Tom ever has with peoples' food.

So, I'm so disappointed that Nina made the missteps that cost her the title of Top Chef. She clearly outperformed Nick (and everyone else except Shirley) throughout the season but her finale meal missed the mark.

Back when Stephanie beat Blais, and when Kevin beat Angelo & Ed, I was ok with those wins because Stephanie & Kevin had been quietly impressing all season. When Hosea beat Stefan, that was Stefan's own carelessness, but Hosea hadn't been impressive either all season. The difference with Nick is that he has not only not impressed, he had failed miserably several times during the season and should have been booted more than once but unfortunately for Nina, she made her mistakes at the wrong moment.
    Nina? How awesome is that? Lovely lady--as are Shirley and Stephanie, in my book.

FORT Newbie

I'm very disappointed in the ending. If they truly want to have a top chef, they should take into account how they have performed all season. It definitely seemed like Tom was defending Nick all night. Too bad. I would have been happy with either Nina or Shirley. One thing I did like about this season was Emril. I've never been a huge fan. Something about his "bam" just turned me off earlier on in his career, but after this season, I am a huge fan. He was so sweet and personable to the contestants and I loved the connection between him and Shirley. What a mentor he is! He just seems like a big teddy bear but yet knows his stuff. He just "has a way"...
    dzigner and Dragonlady like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    After a season of rockin' the competition....Nina was robbed!

Clearly, Tom wanted Nick to become Top Chef. It's his show and, in the end, if there's not a majority decision, he gets what he wants. (I think Emril was on the fence and couldn't, in all good conscience, make a choice....therefore the tie.)
    It's very clear that Tom makes all decisions and the rest of the "judges" are superfluous. Not only this season but in previous seasons.

During the dinner, when Tom proclaimed Nick's scallop noodle soup the best thing he had all season, one of the guests (another chef/restaurant owner) looked shocked and said "really?" Tom wanted Nick to win. He saved him numerous times from elimination, when others have been booted for continual underseasoned food, a capital offense. Only Gail, for some unknown reason, seemed to be on Tom's side. Padma was rolling her eyes at many of the things Tom was saying to try to break the so-called "tie." It was clear that both Hugh and Emeril preferred Nina in an overall sense, along with Padma. There's no way on Earth that Tom could have brought any of them over to his side. What we didn't see was Tom bulldozing the opposition and pulling rank. I can't recall any elimination decisions that haven't gone Tom's way. He always gets his way.

Then you had the cheftestants participating in the final decision of LCK. Boy, was that stacked to ensure that Carlos wouldn't win. Every single person would have known which dish was Carlos's, and the other cheftestants would naturally have chosen anybody else's dish except his.

The diners were practically licking their plates for Nina's dishes, whereas no one (except for Tom) had that level of enthusiasm for Nick's meal. So Nina's zepole dessert wasn't a showstopper. Nick's panna cotta still wasn't a panna cotta according to all the diners/chefs. And, all of a sudden, Tom is telling everyone to not take Nina's showstopping extra courses into consideration. A total crock.

Much as I've licked Tom's straightforward approach to the show, he's a bully. Nina was robbed, as was Shirley from being in the finale or even Carlos.

I stand alone, but I liked Nick's win. His food is what I would choose to eat at a restaurant. I also watched a little of What Happens live, and I distinctly heard Tom say that Padma agreed that her serving of Nick's duck was cooked perfectly. I aslo suspected he would win when the editing started making Nina look like she would win. These shows are known for doing that. They think it heightens the suspense, but they're wrong.

Even professional chefs have different palate when it comes to seasoning. I really don't like overly salted food and Nick probably is also sensitive to it. Emeril's seasoning is generally way to much for me to eat. I have a cabinet full of spices, but I don't use his. I do use salt in all my cooking, but I really limit the amount more for taste reasons than for health reasons.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by provenceguy View Post
    Nina? How awesome is that? Lovely lady--as are Shirley and Stephanie, in my book.
    Well that's a really pleasant surprise.

I like it when America doesn't infuriate me and piss me off to a huge degree.

I still think Nina should have won. IMO the finale should be based on the entirety of the season, not JUST the food served that night. Oh well, it's not my show...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Gotta agree with the above, although I wasn't horribly surprised or disappointed by Nick's win. Part of what I like about Chopped, when they get to the last course, the judges take the previous courses into account. So even a bit of a miss on one dish doesn't rule them out. I would have liked a side-by-side of the major dishes throughout the competition. I am glad Nina got the Fan Favorite award, but really, I think Shirley was my absolute favorite this season.
    dzigner likes this.

As has been the case throughout this season, I've felt many on the forum found Nick lacking talent and professionalism and agreed with most Nina was destined for the title. Like Peyton Manning discovered last Sunday and all the oddsmakers betting on AMERICAN HUSTLE for the Oscar might discover in a couple weeks, it ain't over till it's over. Nina is going to have an amazing career and deserves to. However, throughout this whole season, Nick has had my total support from the gate. I just really liked his mixture of strengths and weaknesses, his balance of failures and successes, and those little glimpses of who he was out of the kitchen. When his wife and mom showed up for the pre game dinner, I was totally moved and felt the emotion right through the TV screen. When he lost it over the flaky servers on the big night of his life and screamed like a kid heard in the dining room, I recognized a personality I'd come to know the last few months. Not Nick at his best, but the real deal. I felt the bond of mutual respect between Nina and Nick that was special and genuine. As an audience in life, on stage, in Washington, or the big screen, America loves a good comeback and a second act. Nina was the favorite all season long. She earned that status through her great cooking and consistent professionalism. Even though Nick wasn't that popular here on the forum or on Bravo's instant polls, he is the American story. Picking himself up after he repeatedly fell on his tail, finding that strength to keep pressing on despite the experts suggesting he resign, and believing in himself while spending most of the season in the bottom three inspires me. I applaud his win and felt it lifted reality TV to something better than bachelorettes and toy dogs in purses en route to the beauty parlor. It said with a lot of hard work and faith, we can all be our own personal top at what we love and apply ourselves to.
    Last edited by AWfielder; 02-07-2014 at 04:57 AM. Reason: grammar
    Florimel and Tmull2013 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast