+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/22 Show Discussion

Top Chef New Orleans - 1/22 Show Discussion

"Leaving New Orleans" - Don't believe the episode title! The challenges still revolve around NO cuisine...

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/22 Show Discussion

So long Carlos!

I'm actually a little surprised. I thought the creativity of his no-masa tamale might win out over Nick's dish since it needed salt (yet again).

Go Nina and Shirley!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wannasee likes this.

I thought Carlos was going to stay as well -- the "narrative" editing was all over the place tonight.

They finally gave Carlos a few good, humanizing moments, where he talked about wanting to win so he could inspire kids to go for their dreams as well, etc. But then they switched back to the "I'm not here to make friends/In your face, Nick" Carlos that they'd sold us on for most of the season. Also, they made a point of showing each of the 3 other chefs chime in at some point with "he only cooks Mexican" during the hour.

Ultimately, I hope Louis beats Carlos in the final LCK. A finale withy Shirley, Nina and Louis sounds fine to me.
    Kip and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

As soon as Padma said that Shirley and Nina were the top two, I was happy. Throughout the show, I kept on thinking that as long as those two made the finals, I'd be happy with either of the men going home. I was!
    Kip, dzigner and wannasee like this.

Shirley for the win (though I would not mind Nina winning either). Anyone but Nick.
    AcookerTV and sparklete like this.

I'm pulling for Nina, but would be content with Shirley winning it, too.

And, like awesome, gimme ANYBODY but NICK.

PUH-LEESE!!!!!!!!!
    tinderbox and Jezebella like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I DVRd the show and was happy to see Shirley and Nina move on. Nick...not so much. How did that guy get this far???

Anyway, I advanced the previews frame by frame and I think the person moving forward from LCK is Louis. I didn't see his face but the body type resembled Louis.

FORT Fogey

Louis definitely has to have the advantage with LCK. To have as many wins as he did, he's conditioned at this point to the quick demands of those challenges. On the other hand, Carlos has shown he doesn't do as well with quickfires as he does with the elimination challenges. So you've got one guy who is thinking and acting fast and in that mode, and another who doesn't posess those skills. Advantage Louis!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Louis definitely has to have the advantage with LCK. To have as many wins as he did, he's conditioned at this point to the quick demands of those challenges. On the other hand, Carlos has shown he doesn't do as well with quickfires as he does with the elimination challenges. So you've got one guy who is thinking and acting fast and in that mode, and another who doesn't posess those skills. Advantage Louis!
    Agreed. Plus Tom has said that a tie goes to the reigning LCK chef - that the challenger's dish has to be better in order to win.

I'm with the rest of you as to hoping for a Shirley or Nina win - or Luis.

Anybody but Nick. I don't like attitude. He sure was fast running for that eggplant. I have to wonder about the judges always saying his food needs more salt. Maybe the judges' tastebuds are spoiled by years of too much salt. I used to cook without salt and people loved my food and told me I should open a restaurant. A few months ago someone analyzed the salt content at Gordon Ramsey's London restaurant it was super high.

I don't like Carlos's attitude either. But I don't have any problem with him cooking Mexican all the time as long as he puts out dishes that meet the challenges. If he's a master of Mexican cuisine, let him cook that. Shirley challenges him on this a lot, but many of her dishes are Chinese inspired.

It was fun seeing Doug Keene as a judge.

FORT Fogey

Tom has said many times that salt is needed more when cooking for the masses. I've never been to Gordon Ramsey's place, but I'm guessing it serves a lot of tables. Nick has talked before about being a chef that focuses more on individual meals. I'm not sure of his entire work history, but I get the feelng he is focused more on a 20 table restaurant than a 300 table place. If that is the case, he should be creating flavors that don't require salt. Clearly, he hasn't mastered the skill he prides himself in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast