+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

"Oui Si a Challenge" The chefs tackle French and Spanish cuisine; Jacques Pepin drops by.

Enjoy the show!
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 01-08-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

Andy Cohen just posted on Facebook:

"Really incredible episode of Top Chef tonight. Doesn't even matter if you're watching this season.. it's one of the best - and most dramatic - we've done in 11 seasons."

Hmm...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

IMO Nick should have given it up. He clearly screwed the pooch on two dishes. But, I suppose, as Tom said, rules are rules. It just makes me root against him now. Shirley or Nina FTW.

I loooove Jacques Pepin and have for years (thanks, PBS!!), but I was kind of disappointed on how short shrift they gave John Folse. He's not nearly as "big name" as other LA chefs featured on TC, but he literally wrote the book (all 850 pages) on cajun and creole cuisine. (Check Amazon if you don't believe me! And wear a back brace to pick it up!) Sorry if I get a little too home stateish on this season.

Well I had the opposite position. I thought it was out of line for them to ask Nick to resign, and it made me really fed up with the judges. He won immunity fair and square and I didn't think they should have even brought up the possibility of him "falling on his sword". I don't recall them proposing this in the past, am I just not remembering correctly!? I didn't really believe the other chefs would have given up if they had been in his position - easier said than done!
    Kip, babymay, Florimel and 5 others like this.

FORT Fogey

I can count on it like I can count on it like I can count on the sunsetting each day. I ALWAYS leave the room during important parts of movies and TV shows. I completely missed the drama leading up to the question of whether or not Nick should resign. Without knowing the background, I will go out on a limb and say WTF?!?!?

He has immunity! That is what immunity is all about. There have been plenty of times the worst chef stays because he/she has immunity. Why is Nick so different? I will have to watch on repeats.
    Kip likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

He should stay.

I don't want him to win, but he shouldn't quit.

FORT Fogey

I thought it was fair of them to put the possibility out there for him, and I also think it was fair (and right) for him to decline to resign. Part of the reason he did the worst dishes was that he volunteered to take the courses that were going to be the biggest risk BECAUSE he had immunity. Without it, he may not have been willing to be the one doing those dishes, and he may have been just as successful as his teammates. Honestly, I was impressed that he could think on his feet so well to give the answer that he did. Jexter, there was not a great deal of lead up to the drama. The judges said that they thought Stephanie and Nina's dishes were outstanding. It was entirely Nick's dishes that made them the losing team, which is why they put the offer out there. I think the whole thing was a lesson for Stephanie too. She said that she didn't approve of the nest being put on the plate, but didn't fight for it because it was Nick's dish and "he had immunity". If she had it to do all over again, I think she would have recognized the need for team success and fought that stronger.
    ryansmommy likes this.

The difference between Nick's immunity and other immunities is that Shirley's and Stephanie's dishes were not merely outstanding, they were nearly flawless. Neither chef could have done any better except to have the luck of the draw and have been on the other team. It's a shame she was the scapegoat, but it's also a nearly no-win situation when the competition is that narrow and there's a team challenge and one of your team members has immunity. I didn't expect Stephanie to win or make it to the final but I wish she had the opportunity to go home for her own dish, not Teflon Nick's dish.

FORT Fogey

I think the big mistake in the entire thing was to still have immunity this late in the competition. At the start of the show all the cheftestants were even talking about thinking that it would be gone at this point. Since we're down to six and it was a team challenge, production should have just made it a quick fire for a money prize instead of immunity, and there would not have been an issue. That said, after Andy tweeted about the drama and they have emphasized so much the second chance that Stephanie has with last chance kitchen, I wonder if some of this was not set up to try to boost viewing for that.
    Kip and dondiego like this.

For one thing, I'd bet Jacques Pepin regretted choosing Nick's recreation of his dish over Shirley's!

While it didn't look intentional, it would have been a brilliant move on Nick's part because both Shirley and Stephanie had received far better critiques on their food throughout and winning challenges. By causing his team to lose, one of the stronger chefs in the competition would have been taken out.

Suzanne Crenn appeared to be calling all the shots in menu development. They made what she told them to make and Nick did assume the riskiest dish. Crenn should have fallen on the sword, taking responsibility for the horrid dish that even Justin wouldn't have served his own mother. It did not seem to be a problem with execution but with the basic concept of the dish and that was Crenn's fault. I thought it hysterical how the Spanish chef (Serrano?) was so vehemently appalled at the dish and didn't even try to be civil about it.
    Arielflies likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast