+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

I want to see either Shirley or Nina win. If the next two episodes eliminate both Carlos and Nick I would be completely okay with that.
    TripleGemini and AcookerTV like this.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by penne View Post
    I watched the LSU episode again...This quickfire preceded the flare-up at LSU and may have been the first skirmish in their feud.
    That quickfire was also the first instance where Nick criticizes Carlos, saying "Carlos is self-taught and there are some things he doesn't know". I thought this comment was curious on two counts: one, there were many home cooks who knew what Carlos apparently didn't so this wasn't really a question of a lack of formal training; and two, in the hot sauce quickfire it was Carlos who helped Nick who admitted not knowing anything about chiles, a puzzling admission on his part since you'd think chefs are taught spices and chiles in culinary college. Placed in this context, it's possible to see Nick's criticism as sour grapes that he got goosed, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I want to see either Shirley or Nina win. If the next two episodes eliminate both Carlos and Nick I would be completely okay with that.
    I don't know any of these people so can't say if I like them. But the chefs whose personas I've liked are Bene, Janine, Carrie and Stephanie, all of whom appeared to be pretty nice people who didn't let the competition change who they are. I also enjoyed Sara quite a bit. Of the remaining chefs, Louis seems like a nice guy. Shirley is amusing. Brian is inoffensive. Nick is holier-than-thou. And Carlos is low-key. Who would I like to see win? Probably Shirley. But I wouldn't quite put her in the same class with Bene and the gang of 4.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-15-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post

Welcome aboard penne and I agree about having no immunity in team challenges. Same thing happened in S3 when Casey, Howie and Joey were teamed, and Casey had immunity. She gave a half-hearted effort and her dish was the worst, and Joey went home (not that he wouldn't have soon enough anyway, but still). Funny that nobody (judges or chefs) even thought to bring up the idea of Casey resigning back then...
    Still catching up with this season but I agree with these comments. Only other thing I could think of was that if it HAS to be a team challenge (for time constraints or something) then the person with immunity's dish shouldn't count one way or the other. Or heck...just don't have them cook!

I've been watching with half an eye, I guess, but not really paying attention to anyone's personality. Don't have the time or energy to re-watch, so I rely on everyone else's descriptions.

FORT Newbie

One final (belated) comment on Nick in this episode, and I don't submit this to "get the last word" but only to put what happened in a more familiar context that I think is worth considering. I liken what Nick did to a driver and two passengers in a car where only the driver has a seat belt or air bag. Because the driver has this "immunity", he decides to take more risks on the road, forgetting that there are two other people in the car with him. Predictably, this risk taking leads to an accident where one of the two defenceless passengers is injured. Is Nick at least partly to blame? Should he not have considered his passengers? Was he selfish to forget them?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456