+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

FORT Newbie

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 1/8 Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The difference with the LSU challenge (at least if the editing is to be believed) is that each chef was allotted one cooking area adjacent to their station, and they were to stick to them unless someone felt like being generous and had free space/time. Nick had the oven, and Carlos took great pains to make sure he got the grill.

To be honest, this debate is getting unnecessarily heated in general -- frankly I'm not overly fond of either Nick or Carlos, and hope they both go down soon, lol. But we're all entitled to our favorites and opinions, and we can disagree without confronting each other as if we're on the stand in a trial. It's a reality TV show.
    Nick claimed all of the ovens, including the ones not directly behind him. So if you are going to make a territorial argument, you would have to admit Nick had no right to keep those other ovens.

And, yes, you are right. This is just a TV show. But I don't see a problem with heated discussions so long as it doesn't become personal. As long as we stick to the facts and use reason, imo, it's OK. But I'm not the moderator, so feel free to disagree.
    Last edited by penne; 01-13-2014 at 06:44 PM.

FORT Fogey

If Nick's dish had been good except for being cold, and he had explained that he wanted to heat plates but gave up ovens to Carlos, I think the judges would have told him he didn't do what was necessary to do his best food. Tom may even say that it's Top Chef and not top nice guy. No -- I don't think he would have been excused for sub-par food simply because he'd done something nice to help out another competitor. I can't recall anytime at judges table I've seen them give "points" for that.
    Florimel likes this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    But anyone who doesn't "Grab" fast enough is NOT left out in the cold. As others have said - Shirley planned to grab a grill. She didn't get it, so she altered her plan to cook her food a different way in order to be successful. Carrie didn't grab any method to heat food fast enough. So she altered her plan and prepared a cold dish based on the equipment she had. The big difference between these things and Carlos was that when Carlos realized he didn't grab the equipment he needed fast enough, he forged ahead. He did not alter his plan based on what he COULD do. That may be because he lacks the creativity, because he's bull-headed, because he saw it as an opportunity to complain about Nick to the judges, or a host of other reasons. We hae no way of knowing exactly WHY Carlos didn't alter his plan to what he could and could not do, and it doesn't matter. He failed to adjust, and that's his fault - not any of the other competitors.
    In this instance, yes, Carlos was able to make an adjustment and finish his fish on the flat-top (and make it into the winner's circle). But what about a venue like the small kitchen in Dookie Chase's restaurant? What if a chef decides to claim 3 or 4 burners for the entire challenge? Burners are a pretty important, basic piece of equipment. Would that be fair to the other chefs? If this idea of active sabotage became common, chefs (at least the smarter ones) would begin planning dishes that use as much equipment as possible. Even in TCK this would become a problem. Ovens you can always take to heat plates. Deep fryers are always good for some crunchy element, especially garnishes. Grills are great for lots of stuff. Burners, too. It's not hard to see chefs making dishes that use as much equipment as possible just so they can deny that equipment to others. Sabotage would become part and parcel of the game, and the arguments over who can use what would become so common and so heated TCK would become a boxing ring and TC a blood sport. Sound far fetched? No. Once you change how the game is played, the arms race begins and that becomes the inevitable end-point: Top Cutthroat Chef.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    If Nick's dish had been good except for being cold, and he had explained that he wanted to heat plates but gave up ovens to Carlos, I think the judges would have told him he didn't do what was necessary to do his best food. Tom may even say that it's Top Chef and not top nice guy. No -- I don't think he would have been excused for sub-par food simply because he'd done something nice to help out another competitor. I can't recall anytime at judges table I've seen them give "points" for that.
    My question was would Nick have gone home for surrendering the ovens to Carlos, assuming everything else on his plate was perfect?

And not being served on a hot plate is not the same thing as "being cold". Remember, no-one else served his food on a hot plate and I didn't hear any complaints about "cold food".

FORT Newbie

I've read several comments about how Nick's actions may hurt his career inasmuch as it negatively shapes the opinions of viewers, especially potential investors or employers. I haven't heard anyone mention the impact his actions, and particularly his feud with Carlos, may have on potential clients. One reason Carlos is on the show is Bravo wants to broaden the appeal of TC to the large and growing hispanic community in the US. I can't imagine that many Latinos watching this show are too happy with Nick right now. To them it must appear that he is picking on Carlos. Now, Nick's clientele probably doesn't include a lot of people in this demographic. But things change. Latinos are growing not just in number but also in economic influence. Nick is still young. At some point, a growing number of people from that community will be in a position to patronize restaurants like Nick's. Will they want to? Will they forget this ugly spat? Who knows. But if I were Nick, I would wake up and realize lots of people are watching and judging me. And the impression I am making will probably have some not inconsequential impact on my career.

Honestly, Nick is such a dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by penne View Post
    Nick claimed all of the ovens, including the ones not directly behind him. So if you are going to make a territorial argument, you would have to admit Nick had no right to keep those other ovens.

And, yes, you are right. This is just a TV show. But I don't see a problem with heated discussions so long as it doesn't become personal. As long as we stick to the facts and use reason, imo, it's OK. But I'm not the moderator, so feel free to disagree.
    This is a recreational message board devoted to recreational entertainment. We try to promote a friendly atmosphere, and the point of posting here is not to talk others into submission and "win" arguments. It's to share ideas and opinions. And yes, I am on staff. Try the decaf.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by penne View Post
    How likely was that given no-one else was heating their plates?
    I honestly have no idea which dishes have or have not been served in heated plates. It seems likely that this is a detail we might not even see post-edit unless it is the source of some drama, as in the LSU challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    This is a recreational message board devoted to recreational entertainment. We try to promote a friendly atmosphere, and the point of posting here is not to talk others into submission and "win" arguments. It's to share ideas and opinions. And yes, I am on staff. Try the decaf.
    I'm not trying to "talk others into submission and "win" arguments". I'm trying to get to the bottom of this question, "can a chef take a piece of equipment for an entire challenge even when he no longer needs it to cook". It's an interesting and important question that doesn't even have much to do with Nick or Carlos. They just happen to be the two chefs involved. It's really a general question for the show itself. Also, I didn't raise this issue. Someone else brought it up and I reluctantly elaborated my opinion. I certainly don't mean to be "unfriendly". But when questioned and challenged, I certainly do intend to articulate and defend my point.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I honestly have no idea which dishes have or have not been served in heated plates. It seems likely that this is a detail we might not even see post-edit unless it is the source of some drama, as in the LSU challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But at LSU we know Nick had the ovens and was using them to heat his plates. In TCK, especially in the quickfires, there isn't enough time to heat plates. The chefs are usually too busy cooking their food to worry about hot plates. Instead, like in Chopped, they just grab the room temperature plates that are stacked in the back.

To be honest, if your food is cold to begin with, a hot plate will not make it hot. Conversely, if your food is hot, a room temperature plate will not make it cold. The only thing that will do this is time, that is, if a dish sits around before it is consumed. At LSU, this was not an issue. The hot stations had heat lamps and probably heated serving vessels to keep the food hot. Even when served on room temp plates, the short time it took diners to walk from the station to a seat would not affect the temperature of the food. That is why none of the other chefs serving hot food thought it necessary to heat their plates. This was just another example of Nick over-thinking his dish. Corn silk nests, oyster foam, hot plates: it all sounds good in Nick's mind, but in execution they all fall far short of his intentions. Plus, I do believe he wanted to shut Carlos out. He somehow found an oven to lend to Shirley, but he couldn't spare even one oven to give to Carlos.

The idea of heating plates at LSU was ill-conceived for another reason. A cafeteria is not a restaurant where you have trained waitstaff to bring out hot plates. There, you're handing plates to a bunch of college kids. At best, you can heat those plates to make them warm to the touch. Warm plates are not going to make a big difference to the temp of your food, when compared to room temp plates.

The idea was just a bad one from the start. Another Nick brain fart.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-14-2014 at 11:11 AM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Judges on the show still judge.. as a Chef, you still cook to the best of your abilities.. and serve the same way. Don't matter what the college kids thought about it in that respect. I have NO problem with how Nick dealt with the situation. I may be the only one here, but I LIKE Nick. A lot. I think Carols was MUCH more at fault in that situation from the go whining about needing the grill station and forcing Shirley to go to the oven.. which did work for her. Not to mention his whining to the judges that Nick stole his oven.. which was not the case. I personally think that would negate the idea that Nick was being 'selfish' I didn't see it as such. He did let him use his knife, which Carlos didn't take care with. Hardly selfish.
    Last edited by FireWoman; 01-14-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    Florimel and TripleGemini like this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

FORT Newbie

I watched the LSU episode again and noticed a couple of things. In the drumsticks quickfire, we already knew Nick helped Shirley who took a tumble while rushing to grab her sticks. What wasn't hightlighted, and what I failed to notice before, was that Carlos and Nick both reached for the goose legs at the same time, but Carlos was closer and got 2 hands on them while Nick managed only to get his right hand on the tray. As Carlos turns to take the goose legs to a work station, Nick continues to hold on to the tray so that his arm remains jammed under Carlos left arm and Nick actually twists halfway around as Carlos walks away. Nick claimed he wanted the duck legs Shirley took, but he actually tried to grab the goose legs Carlos got. This quickfire preceded the flare-up at LSU and may have been the first skirmish in their feud.

I also noticed that each time we got a look at the ovens in the back during service they were empty. The one exception was an instance when one oven had a single tray sitting on the top rack that looked like the same kind of tray Nick cooked his pork in. But even then, the rest of that oven and the ovens beside that one were empty. There is also one scene where Nick loads an arm-full of plates into one oven. But that is the only scene where we actually see any plates in an oven. The rest of the time, they are sans plates, including the scene where Nick is shown looking over at Carlos after he's been asked by Tom about "stealing ovens".

The Maui preview shows Nick slamming his fist on the counter and throwing a hissy fit. Funny thing is he is standing in a kitchen that doesn't look like the one in this week's episode, and there are about 12 empty plates in front of him, yet this week the chefs serve only the small table of judges. So this intriguing scene may in fact be from another episode, maybe next week's. So Nick is definitely on course for a blowup, the question is when? I'm still drinking the TC koolade and thinking Nina is in trouble this week, but will depose King Louis LCK and remain in the competition. Interestingly, thre are only two more episodes of LCK and 6 chefs left (incl Louis), so there will be 4 chefs in Maui. Last season they took 3 chefs to Alaska. So if they keep the 2 episode finale format with a head-to-head cook-off in the last episode, that means there will be a double elimination in the first episode. A team challenge, perhaps? Interesting. I'd love to see Carlos and Nick teamed up. And then a final Carlos vs Nick showdown. Forget the ladies, I want to see the boys drop their gloves and go at it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast