+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/18 Show Discussion

Top Chef New Orleans - 12/18 Show Discussion

Well, we got to see the LSU tiger in residence as well as cafeteria style cooking. They all seemed either too daunted or too tired and were cranky this challenge.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/18 Show Discussion

Cassie wanted a hot station, I heard her say that. I think the fact she had immunity must have come up with everyone and missed the edit. She took one for the team and stepped down from winning a car. That said she could have done more.

If I was in line and could only choose one dish I would have gone for the shrimp cake. It was the students favorite; it must have been delicious.

When the numbers go down more we will see better challenges.

I hate seeing wild animals living in small spaces all alone. Shame on them. PETA did anyone watch this show?

I am glad Justin is gone; arrogance is not attractive. And his food was not favored by the judges in most challenges.
    mayamaisha likes this.

Between the spilled protein on the floor and Carlos hacking away at that goose bone, that was a pretty grisly Quickfire.

Cooking for 500 has to be a new record -- I think they're getting out of hand with the "feeding the masses" challenges. When it gets to the point where the sheer volume makes it impossible for the chefs to make a composed, forward-thinking dish, what's the point of the challenge? They already get tested on line skills in Restaurant Wars and any number of other challenges. Ramping up the number of dishes doesn't make for a more exciting challenge to me. But I'm not saying I agree with Justin's attitude, he missed the point in more than one way. (Rant over)

I don't think I like the chefs seeing the judges debate the dishes in the stew room. Are they seeing the whole unedited debate? (we still obviously see a heavily edited version) I guess it's good if middle-of-the-road chefs still get to hear feedback when they didn't used to get any, but that's the only positive I can see. It takes the suspense out of things when the top and bottom chefs already know their fate when the time comes to summon them to the table. (Second rant over)

So glad Justin is gone. He should have gone last week instead of Travis. None of the winning dishes seemed all that exciting to me. I probably would have gravitated toward Stephanie's soup and sandwich -- I'm a notorious dunker.
    Florimel, Shoepie and AWfielder like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I'm not interested in seeing Top Cafeteria Cook. I think the marvelous thing about chefs is they can combine creativity with exceptional cooking. Sure, I'd love to see elevated cafeteria food, so I wish this challenge would have been for a more manageable amount of a crowd so that the chefs could indeed "get too cheffy" and focus on creating exceptional dishes rather than focusing on Getting It Done For 500 People(!). In past seasons, they've cooked for school children - surely a less sophisticated palate than college freshmen - so I think they could have tried far more elevated approaches despite having a run-of-the-mill cafeteria pantry.

So Justin, I think, had the right approach to this challenge but his execution was apparently terrible. It's too bad the judges thought the chefs shouldn't have tried too hard to cook like chefs but rather should have cooked "down" to the freshman palates.
    Shoepie and AWfielder like this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Who won the pool for how many times this season Justin would say "I'm the best chef here"?
    Shoepie likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Who won the pool for how many times this season Justin would say "I'm the best chef here"?
    I cannot count that high without a calculator.
    Florimel and tinderbox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I hate seeing wild animals living in small spaces all alone. Shame on them. PETA did anyone watch this show?
    Shoepie, I had the exact feeling when I saw that tiger and expressed to my hubby. He suggested that maybe the animal had a health condition or some problem that would prevent him from being returned to it's natural habitat.....and would be a sitting duck for some other animal's lunch.
    So there must be a reason that we don't know and his area maybe me larger than we could see. I really hope so.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Mike the Tiger VI has 13,000 square feet of living space. I'm not on board with a big cat living alone, but he does have it better than some zoos. Seventy-Five Years of the Tiger For all it's faults, LSU does have a good vet program, so he is well cared for.

I call BS on the "freshman orientation" set up for this challenge. This season was shot from the end of May through the first part of July, which accounts for the abysmal heat. LSU generally does freshman orientation in August. The kids eating at the 500 feeding were probably summer students picked by the university or student government. And given that TC paid Texas $500K to shoot there, I'd imagine LSU got a kick back for the use of the facilities. Perhaps that's just my 20+ years of watching reality TV jadededness.

FORT Fogey

I like when they do a cooking for the masses challenge but I'm glad they don't overdo them. I think tom explained it well at judges table. Not all food works cooking for that many so you focus on fat, sodium, etc to make it taste good. That's knowledge that a chef should have. Justin went home because he didn't.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Mike the Tiger VI has 13,000 square feet of living space. I'm not on board with a big cat living alone, but he does have it better than some zoos. Seventy-Five Years of the Tiger For all it's faults, LSU does have a good vet program, so he is well cared for.

I call BS on the "freshman orientation" set up for this challenge. This season was shot from the end of May through the first part of July, which accounts for the abysmal heat. LSU generally does freshman orientation in August. The kids eating at the 500 feeding were probably summer students picked by the university or student government. And given that TC paid Texas $500K to shoot there, I'd imagine LSU got a kick back for the use of the facilities. Perhaps that's just my 20+ years of watching reality TV jadededness.
    Could not find the actual dates for 2013, but my bet is it was early June based on the dates for 2014.

Freshman Orientation, Advising and Preregistration (FOAP) 1

(hope it's okay to post the above link)

I only looked this up because both of the universities my children attend have multiple orientations throughout the summer to accommodate all the incoming freshman to make the #s more manageable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast