+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/18 Show Discussion

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/18 Show Discussion

Except this is not a contest to have a show. This is for a bragging rights; although I have seen a couple of last year's contestants in a commercial.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Regular

I watch both shows and am well aware of the basis of TOP CHEF and FOOD NETWORK STAR. In reference to your comment "Except this is not a contest to have a show!" I never stated it was however; These contestants (chefs) are on the show to be seen inorder to further their careers and to promote their restaurants. I am not sure what commercial that you are referencing but, I can tell you for certain that two of TOP CHEFS former contestants do have their own shows. 1) Chef Ryan Scott 4th Season TC. Is a host of FOOD RUSH on The Live Well Network and he also has shows on HSN. 2) Chef Brian Malarkey 3rd Season TC. Does many segments on San Diego's CW affiliate. 3) Also several have written cookbooks.

Being in the entertainment business myself now for several years one can look at these reality shows just as the game shows of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Many actors were contestants on the game shows to be seen and help further their acting careers, the reality shows of today are no different.
    Arielflies likes this.

That is correct that bragging rights, $125K, and a trip to Aspen is what they're playing for. TOP CHEF is not to be confused with THE NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR where the prize is a TV show. However, TOP CHEF ALL STARS gave several fan favorites another season and the winner, Richard Blais, made it into his third Bravo show, LIFE AFTER TOP CHEF. I missed it, but this one season TOP CHEF spin off featured Fabio Viviani, Jennifer Carroll, and Spike Mendelsohn in addition to Richard in their own reality show. Many have benefited from their time on TOP CHEF in different ways, perhaps none more than Michael Voltaggio who made great TV competing against and beating his brother Bryan in Season 6. The show literally catapulted him to chef star status and GQ named his LA restaurant, ink., the best of the year.
    Last edited by AWfielder; 01-05-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: correct restaurant name
    Tmull2013 likes this.

FORT Regular

Thanks AWFielder......You are 100% correct. Bragging rights and the money is a huge part but, every contestant hopes to be the next big thing in the food world!!!! Its a career move!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123