+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef New Orleans - 12/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

"Like Mama Made" - the chefs go back to their roots and make meals that remind them of home.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 12/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It is rather sad that I watched South Park rather than Top Chef. Is it worth watching?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I enjoyed this episode. I liked hearing about the dishes that reminded the chefs of home. I was so relieved when they liked Nick's dish because he just seemed like he would be completely devastated if they had hated it! It was sad to see someone leave because all of the dishes seemed pretty good. I wasn't a huge Travis fan, but he seemed like a nice kid. It was too bad that warm butter was his downfall.
    Shoepie likes this.

I was a Travis fan and I was really sad to see him go. I was ready for Justin to take a hike. And Nick's constant levels of stress and self-doubt have gotten on my nerves. He couldn't even laugh when Anthony Mackie told him to chill out after winning.

I like when all the dishes are so good that the judges have a hard time choosing winners & losers, but then it makes the elimination more painful. I understand why Travis went -- in a challenge where all the food was so good, he had a major component fail on him. But it was still sad.
    Shoepie and sparklete like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I was sad as well. "You live by the biscuit, you die by the biscuit." His was the one dish that looked like home to me - even though it isn't. I enjoyed watching him interact with the customers in Restaurant Wars. He'll get there...just needs a little more seasoning; not so much emphasis on Asian cuisine, perhaps; and a refrigerator full of cold butter.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I never cared for Travis, and am not sad that he's gone.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Shirley and Justin are among my favorites.

FORT Fogey

Nicholas, Shirley and Nina are my favorites. I don't like Justin at all.
    FireWoman likes this.

Finally - a challenge in which the chefs had to cook from the heart! It appeared that this was the best food so far this season, up and down the line. Travis' technical error was really the only PYKAG-worthy error in the bunch. I think Travis was long overdue to go. He's not a top chef yet.

In general, I think this season is better than Texas because overall the chefs are a higher caliber. There are so many cooking competition shows now that followed the lead of Top Chef, with so many "cooks" (as opposed to "chefs" - and truly, this includes "Chopped," which is not to say anything bad about "Chopped," which is so much fun, but it's not about the Next Big Chefs competing), that I think Top Chef has to become more selective and really reach out to find chefs who are on the cusp of a big breakthrough, as was the original intention of the show in Season 1.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    Finally - a challenge in which the chefs had to cook from the heart! It appeared that this was the best food so far this season, up and down the line. Travis' technical error was really the only PYKAG-worthy error in the bunch. I think Travis was long overdue to go. He's not a top chef yet.

In general, I think this season is better than Texas because overall the chefs are a higher caliber. There are so many cooking competition shows now that followed the lead of Top Chef, with so many "cooks" (as opposed to "chefs" - and truly, this includes "Chopped," which is not to say anything bad about "Chopped," which is so much fun, but it's not about the Next Big Chefs competing), that I think Top Chef has to become more selective and really reach out to find chefs who are on the cusp of a big breakthrough, as was the original intention of the show in Season 1.
    Yes, I hate chopped though. Texas was terrible, Tom C thought so, too.

PYKAG WTF does this mean?

ETA. I got it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast