+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 11/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 11/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I love Dr. John and his live shows are amazing. His singing voice is quite clear. His speaking voice reminds me of the old guy in the Waterboy (or USC interim head coach). One of his biggest hits is Right Place, Wrong Time. I think he did the theme song to Blossom too.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Anybody know why the show isn't on next Wednesday night?

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55 View Post
    Yes, Dr. John is a legend in the world of music!
    And, yes, he clearly ( hilarious choice of words!) speaks Cajun.
    As a Yankee girl (Chicagoland) first working in DFW, my introduction to the southern drawl was was relatively uneventful.
    My introduction to Cajun speak, however, was mind-boggling and head shaking. I'd have to continuously say, "Excuse me? I'm so sorry -- I don't understand" while my inner voice was screaming, "WTF IS HE SAYING?!?" (I was still swearing in those days.)

Finally, good ol' Cajun chef Justin Wilson (anyone remember him?) helped me out. He'd come into the Delta Crown Room frequently. If there was time, he'd quiz me with "What am I saying?" lines.
    (To return the favor, I used to do the same with him only using phrases in a very hard Chicago accent.)

-
    Thanks, cubsfan,. I think Justin Wilson is the one I meant when I mentioned a comedian. He was well known as both a chef and a humorist. I think he's the one who always used to say, "Ah gar-an-tee."
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Anybody know why the show isn't on next Wednesday night?
    Maybe because it's the night before Thanksgiving? (Can't think of anything else.)

Yes, it's probably due to the holiday week -- lots of shows won't have new episodes next week.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I don't know much about Dr. John, but I found out that his birthday was the day after this episode aired. That's pretty cool.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by babymay View Post
    I love Dr. John and his live shows are amazing. His singing voice is quite clear. His speaking voice reminds me of the old guy in the Waterboy (or USC interim head coach). One of his biggest hits is Right Place, Wrong Time. I think he did the theme song to Blossom too.
    It was a treat to see Dr. John on TC. I'm showing my age again, but the first time I saw Dr. John was on the Johnny Carson Show in the early '70s. He and Rickie Lee Jones sang Makin' Whoopee. I was mesmerized and followed them ever since. After watching TC, I had to find that old version of Makin' Whoopee on YouTube - it was every bit as good as I had remembered.

I enjoyed the episode, and really liked the local flavour Dr. John gave to the quickfire. I like hot sauces well enough, but I think if I had to taste so many in a row, my taste buds would eventually just view them all the same (HOT!). It's obvious the man has refined taste buds when it comes to spicy foods. I would imagine many people who live in the south do, and can clearly pick out the varying flavours within a successful hot sauce.

I wanted to eat each and every one of the dishes the chefs made. It all just looked so yummy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12