Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By MFWalkoff
  • 1 Post By babymay
  • 1 Post By Shoepie
  • 3 Post By Tilden
  • 1 Post By rebotco

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef New Orleans - 10/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Gosh! So wrapped up in the World Series (GO SOX) I forgot to start the thread!

"Lea Michele's Halloween Bash" - the quickfire involes unusual uses of aluminum foil; the chefs cater a spooky party for Lea (obviously this was filmed before Cory Monteith's passing this past summer -- talk about spooky).

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Loved seeing Gail & Padma's moms running around with shopping carts during the Quickfire. I pity the interns on this show, having to wrap every ingredient, utensil and piece of equipment in foil. And then to unwrap/replace it all wihle the chefs were shopping at Whole Foods. Yikes!

I have a soft spot for Travis, so I was so glad he got a win under his belt with Carlos after bombing last week. And I was soooooo happy that they only sent Michael home and not Nina with him. Knowing they were in the bottom 2, I kept thinking about how Nyesha got yanked out of the Texas competition because of a teammate's mistakes.

I won't miss Michael one bit. Some chefs are douches because they're that incredibly good and they know it. He's just a garden variety douche.
    NFL1, Kip and FireWoman like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Loved seeing Gail & Padma's moms running around with shopping carts during the Quickfire. I pity the interns on this show, having to wrap every ingredient, utensil and piece of equipment in foil. And then to unwrap/replace it all wihle the chefs were shopping at Whole Foods. Yikes!

I have a soft spot for Travis, so I was so glad he got a win under his belt with Carlos after bombing last week. And I was soooooo happy that they only sent Michael home and not Nina with him. Knowing they were in the bottom 2, I kept thinking about how Nyesha got yanked out of the Texas competition because of a teammate's mistakes.

I won't miss Michael one bit. Some chefs are douches because they're that incredibly good and they know it. He's just a garden variety douche.
    I agree about Travis, he reminds me of Ethan Embry ala Empire Records. Glad Michael went home. I am not a fan of people that insist n using pet names for everyone.
    FireWoman likes this.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fogey

I don't like risotto balls, they are very heavy starch bombs and I was surprized to see 3 teams do that. I wanted to eat Nina's dish; I think that was their favorite though we did not see them mention it during judging. I want to believe they did and we only saw the ridiculous scolding she got for not controlling Michaels balls (pun intended). Like that would have worked.

I am always a little disappointed when they have to make vegetarian food, because the have trouble getting inspired. I love to see them excited about a challenge.

Tom seemed a little hyper and chatty with Michelle as they tasted the food.
    NFL1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I thought Lea's suggestions were a little limiting. It's fine if she wants to stick to vegetarian dishes if she has a real commitment to that lifestyle and doesn't wish to offer anything non-vegetarian at a party she's hosting because of that. But just because she doesn't really like sweets, there went another option out the window. What about her guests? Maybe some of them might like a sweet option, even if she's not terribly into them. Isn't the point of party food to please your guests too? And it is possible to do a vegetarian sweet relatively simply, as you'd still be allowed eggs, milk, butter etc.
    NFL1, Dragonlady and wannasee like this.

FORT Fogey

I think she went over her preferences with the judges and they all agreed to eliminate sweets because it was such an easy option and probably wouild have been done by every team!

I'm glad that tool Michael is out.
    NFL1 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Whenever they do a celebrity challenge like that, I think they intentionally make the requests rather limiting as part of the challenge. It doesn't mean that if Lea Michelle threw a real party she'd require all vegetarian food and no sweets. A challenge like this really pushes chefs to think outside the box OR to make a favorite dish incredily well. When they don't think outside the box, we get something like every team making risotto balls. I think it's more about the challenge than it is the celebrity guest. Lea kind of tipped off that the food requests didn't reflect her 100% because she said she embraced a vegan lifestyle in one breath, and in the next breath said she loves cheese. Loving cheese and being vegan don't fit together!

FORT Fogey

I think she really is a vegan but the show said that is too limiting so she expanded to include dairy and eggs. Half of Hollywood is vegan and so is Bill Clinton! That was a shocker to me. I tried that for a short time and it is very limited. And I stand by my take that they eliminated sweets on purpose because that lends itself to Halloween and the colors and shapes needed. Way too easy and boring.

+ Reply to Thread