+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ClosetRTWatcher
  • 1 Post By Arielflies
  • 1 Post By ClosetRTWatcher

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #1
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,082

    Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    "Commander's Palace" The quickfire is also an elimination! Then, the main challenge involves recreating famous dishes.

    Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  2. #2
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,541

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Wow, I can't believe there are no comments in here!

    Bummer that the QF was an elimination. I wish they wouldn't do that. Those challenges are so incredibly short that any chef could slip up and produce a dish that is not representative of their cooking. It's not like they have time to fix a mistake! It also seems like kale would be far more difficult that bacon. There just aren't as many options (although maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough) and it seems easier to screw up!

    I thought the elimination challenge seemed really tricky! I was happy to see Paul Prudhomme! Funny coincidence since I just posted earlier this week in another thread that I had cooked Cajun Shepherd's Pie for dinner and the recipe comes straight out of "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen"!

    I agreed with the winner and loser in the main challenge. They seem to have a really strong group of female chefs this season!!
    Punkin likes this.

  3. #3
    There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    19,882

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Yes, they do. I came away from the episode with females rule...Although the winner of the main challenge was male, both eliminated chefs were male.

    What I'm enjoying is the New Orleans scenery and the cuisine they create. All of that is so foreign to me.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  4. #4
    FORT Fan kireelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    367

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I get so hungry watching this show. I love New Orleans cuisine, and my mouth watered while watching last night's episode.

  5. #5
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quick fire. Kale was the most difficult; I am not fond of it. There just isn't much you can do with it. As far as bacon being a trend that must go, no. Bacon is not going anywhere. I love eggs on top of things other than salad. Congee is rice porridge and very bland. I guess the egg she put on top of it must have been spectacular! I knew the guy with the salty dish was going, glaring mistake. And he fried the kale, something she specifically didn't want.

    Challange. I prefer the seasons without a theme. If they are going to be required to make Cajun style food the entire time it won't be as interesting, for me. I enjoy watching them prepare food they know well. Watching them struggle with the blackend fish was disappointing.

    Of all the food available in New Orleans I would never opt for a veal chop nor would I choose to eat in the Commanders Palace. It is formal and very expensive. They have good French restaurants so that could come into play, too.

    Whatever they do this is still my all time favorite show.

  6. #6
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,541

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Challange. Of all the food available in New Orleans I would never opt for a veal chop nor would I choose to eat in the Commanders Palace. It is formal and very expensive. They have good French restaurants so that could come into play, too.
    The thing that struck me the most when they were eating at Commander's Palace was the ENORMOUS portions! Especially when they had four courses to consume!! Just one of those plates looked like it would have filled me up, especially that veal chop!

    Haven't they gotten on chefs in the past for portion sizes that they considered too large? I guess that all goes out the window at a famous restaurant!!
    Punkin likes this.

  7. #7
    FORT Fogey Rockytop Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,476

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Quick fire. Kale was the most difficult; I am not fond of it. There just isn't much you can do with it. As far as bacon being a trend that must go, no. Bacon is not going anywhere. I love eggs on top of things other than salad. Congee is rice porridge and very bland. I guess the egg she put on top of it must have been spectacular! I knew the guy with the salty dish was going, glaring mistake. And he fried the kale, something she specifically didn't want.

    Challange. I prefer the seasons without a theme. If they are going to be required to make Cajun style food the entire time it won't be as interesting, for me. I enjoy watching them prepare food they know well. Watching them struggle with the blackend fish was disappointing.

    Of all the food available in New Orleans I would never opt for a veal chop nor would I choose to eat in the Commanders Palace. It is formal and very expensive. They have good French restaurants so that could come into play, too.

    Whatever they do this is still my all time favorite show.
    I think Commander's Palace is actually Creole, not Cajun, cuisine. And next week, they are doing Vietnamese.

    We went to New Orleans in June, we went to Commander's Palace for lunch as soon as we got in town. MY boyfriend ordered the Shrimp and Grits and hated it! He loves my shrimp and grits. we had really been looking forward to this place where neither of us had ever eaten. Maybe the much more expensive dinner is better, but I don't know if we will go back again.

  8. #8
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    174

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Wow, I can't believe there are no comments in here!

    Bummer that the QF was an elimination. I wish they wouldn't do that. Those challenges are so incredibly short that any chef could slip up and produce a dish that is not representative of their cooking. It's not like they have time to fix a mistake! It also seems like kale would be far more difficult that bacon. There just aren't as many options (although maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough) and it seems easier to screw up!

    I thought the elimination challenge seemed really tricky! I was happy to see Paul Prudhomme! Funny coincidence since I just posted earlier this week in another thread that I had cooked Cajun Shepherd's Pie for dinner and the recipe comes straight out of "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen"!

    I agreed with the winner and loser in the main challenge. They seem to have a really strong group of female chefs this season!!

    I agree with you about the time factor in the QF. In fact, there have been challenges where some chefs haven't even presented, because they ran out of time and didn't finish. I chuckle every time a chef makes a dish that they were specifically advised not to make, as in kale soup.

  9. #9
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockytop Chick View Post
    I think Commander's Palace is actually Creole, not Cajun, cuisine. And next week, they are doing Vietnamese.

    We went to New Orleans in June, we went to Commander's Palace for lunch as soon as we got in town. MY boyfriend ordered the Shrimp and Grits and hated it! He loves my shrimp and grits. we had really been looking forward to this place where neither of us had ever eaten. Maybe the much more expensive dinner is better, but I don't know if we will go back again.
    There are much better restaurants there. I think the Commander paid for their spot because they are not getting the traffic or press they once did. They are not current; who wants to eat a veal chop the size of your face? Emeril's restaurant was the more likely place to go, I would think.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.