+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef New Orleans - 10/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    I'm still scratching my head wondering how all these myriad ingredients for the individual heritage gumbos just happened to be at the Top Chef bunkhouse. I suppose that at some point in pre-production the producers must have questioned the cheftestants about what ingredients they'd cook with if there were to be a heritage challenge. Also, I can't figure out where 18 chefs did their mise-en-place in a home kitchen & where they were able to plug in 18 crock pots. One other head-scratcher: one of the chefs (there are still too many of them to know who all of them are) said he has no idea how to make gumbo; if I were going to New Orleans to compete on Top Chef, I'd study some basics about the local cuisine because I'd expect it to figure prominently in my ability to compete.

Other than that, I'm glad Jason is off my TV set.
    They must get a list from each chef listing the ingredients they want to have available at the start. Then they listed what they needed for their gumbo and it was brought to them. Staff must have been available to run and get someting they forgot, too. 18 crock pots are easy. A truck with a generator was parked outside and they ran a line in. Same thing at the swamp last week.

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco View Post
    I'm still scratching my head wondering how all these myriad ingredients for the individual heritage gumbos just happened to be at the Top Chef bunkhouse. I suppose that at some point in pre-production the producers must have questioned the cheftestants about what ingredients they'd cook with if there were to be a heritage challenge. Also, I can't figure out where 18 chefs did their mise-en-place in a home kitchen & where they were able to plug in 18 crock pots. One other head-scratcher: one of the chefs (there are still too many of them to know who all of them are) said he has no idea how to make gumbo; if I were going to New Orleans to compete on Top Chef, I'd study some basics about the local cuisine because I'd expect it to figure prominently in my ability to compete.
    I have had the same thought. However, when people try out for the show are they trying out for Top Chef: New Orleans or just Top Chef? Does anyone know how far ahead of time they find out the location of their season?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I have had the same thought. However, when people try out for the show are they trying out for Top Chef: New Orleans or just Top Chef? Does anyone know how far ahead of time they find out the location of their season?
    Too many of them knew how to make gumbo for me to believe they didn't know. I am a good cook and a foodie. Gumbo is okay but I would never bother to make it. I ordered it once when in New Orleans and had it again when someone served it to me. I have no desire to eat it again. Good but nothing special. I feel the same way about Jambalaya.

The reason no one researched alligator is because it is bar food. I know damn well that Emeril does not serve it in any of his restaurants nor does Tom.

It appears that their own style of cooking will prevail given the variety in the gumbos!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

On the wobbly Bravo website, it says that Last Chance Kitchen is coming...not there yet.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

This is the first season I have watched Top Chef and the reason is New Orleans. We love to go there. I've taken some cooking classes while there and make a real delicious and spicy Andoulle, Shrimp and Chicken Gumbo. I was surprised to see most of them starting out right away with the crockpots. I didn't imagine you could make a decent rue in those. One cook used a pot on the stove and made such a deep, dark chocolate colored rue I was jealous. Not easy to get it that dark without burning it. Also, a Gumbo, by definition has a rue, holy trinity and whatever protein you like. Many of the "Gumbo" dishes served seemed to lack those basics. I'm really enjoying the show though. Just another one for the DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    On the wobbly Bravo website, it says that Last Chance Kitchen is coming...not there yet.
    The page now says that LCK premieres Oct. 23rd (week after next) – at least 4 chefs will be eliminated by that point. I'll start a thread for it when it gets closer to the premiere date.

Last Chance Kitchen | Bravo TV Official Site
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I came in a few minutes late into the episode and eventually figured out the "gumbos" were supposed to be inspired by the chefs' heritage. But most were just soups. Punkin said it right...a gumbo must start with a roux, trinity, possibly okra as a thickening agent, and then add protein. The more Creole version is just that and the Cajun version usually adds tomatoes, a can of Rotel really, these days. But really what bugged me is the idea of gumbo is the mixing of cultures, the African, the local resources including the ricel, and the French influence. (After all, the start of the roux is the same as the mother sauce bechemel.) The better challenge would have been to meld the chefs' heritage with the classic flavors of the current state of gumbo.

Nevertheless, I felt bad for this group. They filmed end of May to mid July. It is HOT here (well, I'm 75 miles from NOLA, but we share weather). Humid. Mosquito ridden to the point where West Nile is again a problem. I didn't leave my house until after dark until this week for months unless forced to. I can't imagine doing a food truck in what appeared to be stormy read weather in NOLA without 3 gallons of Gatorade and icy wet towels to cool my head.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

Carrie started out as a pastry chef so she is going to excell in team challenges where a dessert is required. And even in savory dishes, using pastry. Give me anything in a crust and I will follow you to the end of the earth. Very much like Carla in that regard.

I want to be a judge for a beinget challenge. The are sooooo good.
    TripleGemini likes this.

Thanks PhoneGrrrl! I knew my spelling of roux looked odd. Tomatoes, for me, are a must but I can never remember if that is Cajun or Creole. I love New Orleans in late Winter or early Spring. The weather then is perfect for me. I'm not used to anything over 75 degrees.

I was surprised the first time we went there to see alligator, turtle and frogs on the menus of many restaurants. We sure don't see that back home! I can't eat things that are so far outside of my experience and I was surprised that the cooks who had no experience with these 'different' proteins were able to come up with recipes for them. Are these critters common menu items in any other region? This show certainly shows me how limited my own foodie knowledge is. I haven't any idea what a ceviche is, and that's just for starters! I just might learn something.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    The page now says that LCK premieres Oct. 23rd (week after next) at least 4 chefs will be eliminated by that point. I'll start a thread for it when it gets closer to the premiere date.

Last Chance Kitchen | Bravo TV Official Site
    So does that mean the guy that just got eliminated is pre-last chance kitchen and won't get another shot at getting back in? I think he said something after his elimination about how he'd be back after last chance kitchen. I'm thinking that was an assumption on his part...and an incorrect one? I thought he sounded rather arrogant about it, but maybe he had more info about it that we didn't hear or see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast