+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MFWalkoff
  • 1 Post By justCoz

Thread: 7/31 Top Chef Masters 5: Episode 2

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

7/31 Top Chef Masters 5: Episode 2

My DVR is recording the show right now, so I'll open a thread in case anyone wants to comment before tomorrow.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 7/31 Top Chef Masters 5: Episode 2

Thanks, I was still working when the show started and it completely slipped my mind! I"m watching the DVR of the 10PM show now.

They are really working these chefs hard this season -- I'm surprised how well most of them are holding up to the physical stress and the time crunches. That mise en place quickfire with the countdown clock was brutal -- and an elimination at the end of it. I felt bad for Richard Sandoval.

That 626 Night Market is an interesting space -- it looked like it could have been a set they constructed themselves. Brian V is really holding his own against the other Master Chefs. But Sang schooled them, even with immunity.

You know that it's a good Masters cast when you hate to see anyone go.
    Florimel likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I always like Masters better than Top Chef. They are usually kinder to each other and that's preferable to me. What was the American dish that the winner put a spin on? (don't know any of the names yet) I get that he made good tasting food but I just didn't know what the clasic dish is.

Wow, 2 eliminations in one night, I wasn't expecting that. Even though I don't know their names I hate for them to go. I'm happy they give all the charities money, even when the eliminated chefs didn't 'earn' any.
    TripleGemini likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I always like Masters better than Top Chef. They are usually kinder to each other and that's preferable to me. What was the American dish that the winner put a spin on? (don't know any of the names yet) I get that he made good tasting food but I just didn't know what the clasic dish is.
    That was actually a small issue with me -- while he was shopping, Sang said that "fried shrimp and cole slaw" came to mind, which isn't really a classic American dish at all. He just chose 2 ingredients that conveniently worked into the dish he wanted to make, which was already in his wheelhouse (Asian cuisine). But he had immunity, so it's not like they would really call him out over it.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I think fried shrimp really is an American classic, and cole slaw is often a side dish served with it. I cook it, though less frequently than I used to because I try to limit fried foods. But all the franchise seafood restaurants feature fried shrimp as one their most popular ingredients.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

To the Point

I think of fried shrimp and coleslaw as being classic but I grew up on the coast and still live within a couple of hours.

+ Reply to Thread