+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Top Chef Seattle 1/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Top Chef Seattle 1/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

"Past Suppers" The promos suggest we will be treated to clips of dishes from previous seasons as inspiration for new dishes.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Top Chef Seattle 1/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I've got nothing going on this weekend; I think I'll try my hand at risotto. It's been the downfall of about 90% of the people who have ever been on Hell's Kitchen and Top Chef. But it's cooking a kind of rice (right? or is it a kind of dried pasta?) and being mindful of it. I've had it out at several restaurants and never had anything remotely half cooked/half under cooked. Yeah, one time the pumpkin risotto was a bit weird, but that was the pumpkin. And another time it was heavenly, but that was mostly the addition of the prosciutto.

I felt bad for Lizzy. Perhaps she shouldn't have even tried with the scallops, but how disappointing is it to buy from what appears to be a top quality store and the scallops get funky in a day. It's not like she can take them back and ream the store for selling crap product (which I've been known to do at Whole Foods...my local one is NOT the place to buy scallops).

But the reward is that nasty piece of work, John, is gone. Heck, as it looks, everyone should be gone except Brooke and Kristen.

Hallelujah, John is gone, gone, gone!

He did the same evil song and dance tonight -- screw other chefs during the cooking process, then whine to the judges about how rough he had it in the kitchen when his dish tanks. He has a screw loose. I haven't been so glad to see a chef go since Marcel.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

To the Point

Boy, John really showed his underbelly and it wasn't pretty. The only thing that would have made me happier would have been seeing Josie holding his hand on the way out the door.

Wow, John was just nasty tonight. Taking all the dill in the cook-off? That was just rude. (And it's not like he was awesome the rest of the time.)

PhoneGrrl, I can teach you how to make risotto (I have no idea why it's so hard on these cooking shows...I make it all the time). But I'll do it in the Food forum :-)

PhoneGrrrl, good luck with the risotto. I made it once, years ago, before all these tv shows make it seem so difficult. Probably a good thing I didn't know all that but I think it's also a bunch of baloney...It's not difficult....just very time consuming, constantly stirring for about 25 minutes.
    I have a friend who's a chef....and she once told me the restaurants have a method of cooking it part way/putting it on hold and finishing later when an order comes in.
    I need to find out how that works again....Risotto seems so comforting right now while it's cold.

Yeah, I've always wondered why it's so difficult to prepare risotto too. It's practically the kiss of death on these shows. Why? Salad and dressings seem to also give them a pain. Not sure why. Seem simple enough.

I do wonder what the response would have been if the lady had chosen to NOT serve the scallops and just presented a sald inspired by them instead, as one of the judges suggested. I can't think of anything worse than being served bad seafood. OMG. Unless it's bad risotto. LOL
    Dragonlady likes this.

To the Point

While it's easy for the judges to make a statement that just bringing the salad sans scallops would have been better (and it really would have), you know they would have knocked her for that as well.

What killed me with John was that he asked to borrow some dill, which she had gotten, then used it all. That was beyond rude!!

FORT Fan

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think Lizzy should have packed her knives and gone, especially since this is a cooking not personality competition.

My pet peeve for some of these competitions besides the time constraints, is how the chefs don't seem to practice desserts which causes their downfalls so many times. I don't care if you don't cook it in your restaurant, don't like to eat it et al, you need to learn how to make desserts or brush up on it to compete. There are certain foods, meats and proteins that I don't eat, but you best believe I'd learn how to make it for a competition. It reminds me of the chef who was allergic to fish/seafood, but he cooked the heck out of it for "Chopped".

FORT Fogey

I agree NCLurker, Tom said that Lizzy should have just done her minimal garnish salad and not presented the scallops. Well, okay. Did you really mean that Tom? Or would you have said that she should have smelled the scallops before she bought them and substitued another seafood. I think she would have been in the bottom either way.

I would have done a pickle and fruit fritter. The salty, sour and sweet would have been a home run.

I don't remember Josie being as obnoxious in her season as she is here. Next to go, please.

The waxed mustache on whatshisname is horrible. Why does he think looking like a member of a Barber Shop Quartet is good?

This is Kirstin's to lose. She is a dynamo! Lover her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast