+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Shoepie
  • 1 Post By Arielflies
  • 1 Post By Florimel

Thread: Top Chef Seattle 12/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Seattle 12/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

"Pike Place Pickle" You can bet the ranch that some fish-tossing will take place during the Quickfire.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef Seattle 12/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

OK, that was a first (IIRC)...they didn't give anyone the top prize (which was supposed to be $10,000).

And they booted a team (of 2).

What's really sad is that I could have come up with better dishes for any of those ingredients. I couldn't believe how poorly so many of the teams did just because neither person wanted to p*ss off their teammate.

And the next time I go to Seattle, I want to try Salmon Candy :-)

I remember in the first season's wedding challenge, they declared no winner, because they didn't like any of the food. (Stephen went home for leaving the kitchen too much to school the wait staff.) There might have been another instance over the years, but it's not coming to mind right now.

CJ always seems to get himself into losing situations. But he's so damn likeable and funny, I still want him around! I hope he does well in LCK. As for Tyler, he shouldn't have been on the show this season. When your biggest goal during the competition is to stay sober, you're just not mentally ready for the competition if that baggage thwarts your confidence and decision-making every step of the way. Maybe he should reapply next year if he continues to do well in RL...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Tyler's idea to make an oyster stew with a pickle fritter on top could have won; it sounded delicious. I knew CJ was a gonner when he insisted on making a burger. I just knew it! Never use the challenge ingredient as a garnish, nevermind a burger.

Salmon candy must be good. Pig candy (bacon baked with brown sugar) is a crowd pleaser. Sweet with beef is a perfect combination in a surf and turf combo in a savory pancake or creative burrito or taco.

Why on earth Stephan didn't add that jelly incrementally to gauge the level of sweetness is hard to comprehend.

The cheese curd would have been good in an indian inspired dish and the star of the show. It is suble in flavor. Fried curd, when large enough, works well.

Truffle popcorn? I am at a loss on that one but I surely would not have done grits with Huge as a judge.

I would have made a souflee with the coconut, curry chocolate using some coconut milk.
    Florimel and TripleGemini like this.

I like all of your ideas, Shoepie. The ingredients were interesting, but I think the time pressure and team compromises knocked everyone for a loop. The dishes dismissed by the other partners in at least three cases could have been crowd pleasers.

I'm glad Tom slammed down the mallet on the whole lot of them. How embarrassing to invite the artisans to sample the dishes when none of their creations were the stars of the dishes.

I laughed when the guy who puts together the candied salmon said that it is his shop that "throws" the fish. When asked what happens when one falls on the floor, he replied that it is a stunt fish.

From the berries on a stick idea in the Quick Fire to the chocolate mess in the challenge, I think Danyele (cute little redhead and my early favorite) is headed for LCK either next episode or the one following. The one I truly want to see gone is the female returnee chef with the big ego who has to take charge. I can't remember her name, but she should have been gone the week she won the Quick Fire safety net. She truly doesn't play well with others.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I like all of your ideas, Shoepie. The ingredients were interesting, but I think the time pressure and team compromises knocked everyone for a loop. The dishes dismissed by the other partners in at least three cases could have been crowd pleasers.

I'm glad Tom slammed down the mallet on the whole lot of them. How embarrassing to invite the artisans to sample the dishes when none of their creations were the stars of the dishes.

I laughed when the guy who puts together the candied salmon said that it is his shop that "throws" the fish. When asked what happens when one falls on the floor, he replied that it is a stunt fish.

From the berries on a stick idea in the Quick Fire to the chocolate mess in the challenge, I think Danyele (cute little redhead and my early favorite) is headed for LCK either next episode or the one following. The one I truly want to see gone is the female returnee chef with the big ego who has to take charge. I can't remember her name, but she should have been gone the week she won the Quick Fire safety net. She truly doesn't play well with others.
    I think her name is Josie. I want her gone, too.

I am a good cook, think fast and had a direction with every knife pull. Not sure I would have won but I would not have been eliminated. I have the ability to make something special out of an apparently empty ice box. That said, I don't know some of the more advanced tools like nitrogen or sous vide (my son does) but I do know to never make a frickin salad! jeeeeeeeeze

I deleted the show so I could not remember what other things I thought of. Oh, one thing. The sweet rose jelly. I knew they would be looking for the rose flavor; I would have made ice cream. I had this at a tea house in Cambridge MA and it was delicious!

I also get it that when in doubt fry it. There are few who do not succumb to something fried. We may not choose it for health or diet reasons but it snags the judges every time. Especially Padma. Love that woman!

I wish I could remember more because I had a plan for everything except the popcorn. Thinking about it now I would have made a popcorn ball stuck together with a bourbon caramel adhesive laced with basil and salt.

I would love to see the last of Josie and Stefan. I didn't like them much in their original seasons and don't like them now. If they were going to bring back returning contestants, they could have made better choices, imo.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread