+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Top Chef Seattle 11/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Seattle 11/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Discuss this week's episode here: A Tom vs. Emeril Thanksgiving Battle!

Overall, not a bad Thanksgiving episode, although none will ever top season 2's "Cutting Edge Thanksgiving" fiasco, with Elia's chocolate-faced meltdown, Betty & Marcel's shrieking match, and Mike's "Flintstonian" potatoes, according to Anthony Bourdain.

Also, I finally see why Carla was put on the show: to make Stefan seem likeable this time.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef Seattle 11/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It is always a bit confusing with this many chefs; only the obnoxious stand out and boy do they!

The Asian woman left and I agreed. She could not plate her quickfire in time and undercooked her potatoes in a 5 hour time frame! You just don't help others unless you are secure in your own dish; this is an individual competition.

Thanksgiving dinner was not an exciting choice for me but I will go check out that bisquit recipe every raved about on Emerils team.

I found it curious that mashed potatoes were among the top 3 contenders for the win. She got the balance between half butter and half potato?! Well of course that tasted good. What an overkill.

The loud mouth woman won with carrot soup. That baffled me, as well. Who eats soup on TG anyway? There is always too much food to put soup on top of that, wow.

The stuffings were overly done for my liking. What a waste of fois gras!

Josie undercooked the turkey. How can that happen in a 5 hour time frame?

I loved the pecan pie take off on bread pudding. That said, a heavy carb dessert on top of a heavy carb meal makes no sense either.

I am very happy to have this show back. It is in my top 3 favorite shows holding the #1 slot.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Carla is the Top Chef equivalent of Penny from Next Food Network Star. Everything about her is annoying!
    Shoepie and MFWalkoff like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

It's funny that Carla won for soup, since Elia in season 2 also won for her Thanksgiving mushroom soup, after having a complete mental breakdown.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    It's funny that Carla won for soup, since Elia in season 2 also won for her Thanksgiving mushroom soup, after having a complete mental breakdown.
    hmmmm, that may be because the other dishes are take offs on the traditional meal and the soup stands out. How many times can you do stuffing and potatoes that blow you away or a side dish of vegetables that go with this meal.

Sorry to see Kuniko go, wish it would've been Josie but she had the immunity. Both had raw food but Josie's was raw meat which is far worse, and even dangerous.

Kristen's still in it so I'm happy.

They showed Gina briefly and I was like, "Who is that?!?" Thought maybe they slipped in a new chef on us, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Josie undercooked the turkey. How can that happen in a 5 hour time frame?

I.
    I think her turkey got too black because it was at the top of the oven so she thought it was cooking too fast, when in actuality it was only the skin that was getting too dark. I just cooked a 24lb turkey for TG and it cooked in 4 1/2hrs at 350 and I don't think her's was anywhere near that big- she must've turned that oven waaay down (or opened it too many times). That turkey was not only a little undercooked- it was raw! A simple check with a meat thermometer could have told her that. I doubt it was even in the 135 range- about 30 degrees less than it should have been. How could she have not known that? I imagine she tweaked a little when she saw it back on tv!

lol, Padma in a pantsuit

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I think her turkey got too black because it was at the top of the oven so she thought it was cooking too fast, when in actuality it was only the skin that was getting too dark. I just cooked a 24lb turkey for TG and it cooked in 4 1/2hrs at 350 and I don't think her's was anywhere near that big- she must've turned that oven waaay down (or opened it too many times). That turkey was not only a little undercooked- it was raw! A simple check with a meat thermometer could have told her that. I doubt it was even in the 135 range- about 30 degrees less than it should have been. How could she have not known that? I imagine she tweaked a little when she saw it back on tv!
    I was wondering the same thing about the thermometer, it just seems like common sense to check the turkey with a thermometer. I don't use them that often, but I always have a meat and a candy thermometer somewhere in my kitchen. Are they not allowed to use these tools on TC for some reason?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

You don't even need a thermometer. Basic Cooking 101: If you want to know if a turkey is done, pierce the breast with a fork. If bloody liquid comes out, it's not done!!!! Her turkey was "rawrrrrrrrrrrr" (as Gordon Ramsey would say).
    xmaskat likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast