+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top Chef Masters 9/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Masters 9/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

They started with the "instruct someone what to cook through a screen" Quick Fire. This time, it was the 3 judges on the other side :-) (Chris won that one.)

The challenge involved students from the local tech high school. Each chef got two students, and the students prepared a meal for each chef. Then the chef had to help their students elevate the meal and teach them to cook it. The chefs didn't do any cooking themselves.

Kerry really pushed his kids and put out a really nice meal, and he won. Lorena went home. I kept waiting for them to decide to just go with three chefs for the final...it was really close.

(But I'm really glad Chris made it into the finale, even though he really expected to go home!)

Re: Top Chef Masters 9/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Although, Chris and Kerry used really different methods of teaching the young students, I could appreciate both ways.
    And the kids seemed to really enjoy and perform so well. Loved the Quick-fire, using the 3 judges.
    I started this season really liking Lorena but as time went by, she became my least favorite and I'm still not sure why.

I felt for sure that since they didn't do any of the cooking themselves and since they all put out great dishes, that the judges were going to say "You ALL are going to the finale". Nope- guess that didn't happen. I do sort-of agree with Lorena that it would have been nice to get eliminated on something you made yourself, but she had a great attitude about it and seemed to really embrace the challenge by the end of it. I think this has been Chris' to lose since the get-go.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I also thought they would put all three through to the finals.

I didn't like Kerry's method and wonder how much the students actually learned from his brow beating style. Lorena should have remembered they were feeding foodies and not just family for that family style meal. I like Chris. I like how he interacted with the students, but I see the downfall of the early plating with the wilting salad. Thank goodness his team got to go first or it could have been a cold dish.

Looking forward to the finale.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I also thought they would put all three through to the finals.

I didn't like Kerry's method and wonder how much the students actually learned from his brow beating style. Lorena should have remembered they were feeding foodies and not just family for that family style meal. I like Chris. I like how he interacted with the students, but I see the downfall of the early plating with the wilting salad. Thank goodness his team got to go first or it could have been a cold dish.

Looking forward to the finale.
    Yep. Individual deconstruced lasagna would have been the way to go or individual portions in ramekins. I do the latter. And how odd Lorena chose pasta for the quick fire; there was barely time for the water to come to a boil. .

I am surprised that Chris' salad was wilted in only 5 minutes. Must have been much more time. I dress a salad, put it on the table and by the time everyone gathers, takes a seat and serves themselves more than 5 minutes has elapsed and the salad is fine!

+ Reply to Thread