+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Top Chef Masters 8/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Masters 8/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Best title for an episode yet: "What Would Brian Boitano Eat?"

(yes, he's a guest judge, and the chefs are cooking Benihana-style at the table in front of the judges)

Enjoy the show!
    Shoepie likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef Masters 8/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Too bad they didn't know more about those griddles before they had to cook on them...although once they said that the center was really hot and the sides were cooler, it made sense. I guess I always thought the chefs set it that way.

I was surprised that so many of them thought that they shouldn't taste the food in front of the chefs and critics. And that only a few of them really got creative.

I don't think I"d feel comfortable tasting the food in that setting either....but it does make sense that you should.
    I like Chris but he needs to handle his quick temper better....I don't like people who allow themselves the privilege of just mouthing off without thinking when angry.
    Have a DH like that and we've been working on that for 25 years!! and he is a lot better.
    I don't think we have the right to make others feel bad, particularly in front of others, for our own selfish anger. Children do that because they don't know better.
    (good lord but I've become "preachy" in my old age.)

Florimel, ness, MFWalkoff and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I don't think I"d feel comfortable tasting the food in that setting either....but it does make sense that you should.
    I like Chris but he needs to handle his quick temper better....I don't like people who allow themselves the privilege of just mouthing off without thinking when angry.
    Have a DH like that and we've been working on that for 25 years!! and he is a lot better.
    I don't think we have the right to make others feel bad, particularly in front of others, for our own selfish anger. Children do that because they don't know better.
    (good lord but I've become "preachy" in my old age.)

I'll have to disagree with that. If people end up having their feelings hurt because somebody else mouthed off at them, that's a problem of low self-esteem, in my opinion. Then again, I'm from a different culture to begin with, so I really just don't get this, "Words can hurt" thing, because as far as I'm concerned, they don't really. I mean, being called a mean name, is nowhere as bad as being kneecapped.

Again, though, that's just me.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

While I could understand Chris' frustration because he did ask Art to make sure to put it (the mandolin) back on the cart, his behavoir (letting loose with four letter words) is highly unprofessional, no matter what line of work you are in.

And . . . . . here's what bugged me most . . . . . what did he need the mandolin for anyway? It sure looked like he got along just fine without it!!!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    I'll have to disagree with that. If people end up having their feelings hurt because somebody else mouthed off at them, that's a problem of low self-esteem, in my opinion. Then again, I'm from a different culture to begin with, so I really just don't get this, "Words can hurt" thing, because as far as I'm concerned, they don't really. I mean, being called a mean name, is nowhere as bad as being kneecapped.

Again, though, that's just me.
    JMHO . . .

I'll have to disagree with your post, too.

This is just me, but as far as I'm concerned, low self esteem on Art's part isn't the issue, here.

Being patronizing, rude, disrespectful and unprofessional --- PARTICULARLY TOWARDS ANOTHER PROFESSIONAL COLLEAGUE IN FRONT OF OTHERS THAT ARE YOUR PROFESSIONAL PEERS AND/OR JUDGES --- are.

Chris talked down to Art about putting the timer on the grill BEFORE they even went out to cook and serve their meals: "Now, Art, don't FORGET! THIS goes ON THE TABLE!" (or grill, or whatever his specific wording was). IN FRONT OF THE OTHER CHEFS IN THE BACK. His tone, attitude, and manner were what you'd use with a child. Call me stupid, but I call that as being at LEAST patronizing, disrespectful and unprofessional to Art, on Chris' part.

When they actually went out to cook, Chris kept in behind Art, hounding him to hurry. Call me stupid, but I call that as being at LEAST disrespectful, unprofessional and rude to Art.

And as for Mandolingate? Sure, Art misplaced the mandolin after Chris'd said something to him beforehand about leaving it around for Chris to use. Chris asked/snarled at Art on the floor --- in FRONT of the other Masters and judges --- regarding the whereabouts of said mandolin, to which Art, IIRC, admitted he'd misplaced it. Chris chose to go off IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY like a $2 hooker on a $50 trick about the missing mandolin. Matter of fact, IIRC, his exact words were: "Son of a BITCH!" He then began to snatch and slam items around on the cart, looking for, I suppose, the missing mandolin. Call me stupid, but I call that attitude, choice of words and vocal tone and those actions on Chris' part regarding Art's mistake as being at LEAST unprofessional towards Art, AND THE JUDGES, AS WELL, because they had to sit there and watch Chris snarl, snap, curse and slam things around like a child about the honest mistake that another colleague had made.

And, I suppose, Curtis and Thierry (sp?) and the new dark-haired female judge could be called stupid, too. In deliberation, I clearly recall Curtis mentioning how he thought Chris got in behind Art and harassed him while he prepared his meal through his verbiage. And the lady judge responded that she felt that way, too, but Art handled it by riding it out. And in a PI, I also recall Thierry (sp?) saying words to the effect that Chris needed to tone his temper down.

I don't seem to recall Chris actually calling Art any mean names (and if I'm wrong about that, anybody please feel free to correct me). So, call me stupid, but I'm missing the connection in this particular instance between mean name-calling vs. being kneecapped.

Far as I'm concerned, Art exhibited an extraordinary amount of self esteem, maturity and self-control in choosing to NOT give Chris back as good as he gave HIM by turning around and telling him to get the hell off his back in front of the judges. Art kept his head down and continued to do his thing with preparing his meal. He behaved like a Southern gentleman, when most normal people probably would've turned around and told Chris where to go and how to get there, right then and there, at the scene of the crime. But Art chose not to get down in the dirt with Chris and take a verbal swing back at him, even though he CLEARLY deserved to be jacked up.

And, as far as I'm concerned, after this last show, Chris can't let the doorknob hit him in the ass soon enough to suit me. Fantastic chef he may very well be, but he seems to have the temperament of a bully and the mouth of an unruly brat towards someone who apparently has done nothing but been guilty of the sin of breathing.

Chris NEEDS TO GROW UP, learn some basic, garden-variety manners, and learn how to respectfully treat people, even if they get on his nerves or irritate him.

JMHO.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

I like Art. He gets rattled and is probably frustrating to work with on a team where timing and precision is required. That said, Chris knows this and should have placed the mandolin only HE needed to use on the cart. Chris' outburst didn't bother Art. They all know Chris' personality. Chris is digging a hole for himself, nothing more. The judges don't rule on personality but if it is a close call I can see them letting Chris go. It cannot help but influence them slightly.
    ness likes this.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I loved this epi, Jonathan Waxman AND Susan Feniger.. swoon And I simply adore Art this season.
    ness likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

You would think that these chefs would be professional and grown up. But they make the so-called amateurs in the Top Chef series look more better. Plus Curtis Stone is really not a good host. Knows his cooking through.
    NFL PreSeason 2014!

I'm not impressed with Curtis either. Love Art...love that he keeps his sense of humor throughout it all...actually most of them do except Chris. I like Chris but he just doesn't have a handle on his very short anger fuse...I often think he regrets how he handles his anger.
    Maybe he'll improve in time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast