+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ness
  • 1 Post By Little Sew&Sew

Thread: Top Chef Masters 8/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef Masters 8/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Another wedding challenge! And Art gets stuck with the cake!

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef Masters 8/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was glad to see them work as a team to finish. But really, who leaves a cart at the grocery store? That was just dumb.

Without immunity, Debbie went home this week. I like charred lettuce, but that was a little too charred for me. (I don't think that was the reason she went home, though.)

I really enjoyed this episode...possibly because I'm having Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef withdrawals....
    but I loved getting to know each chef a little better...and Art didn't get stuck with the cake, he volunteered...seems to be something he's had a lot of good experience doing.
    That being said...thought the cake was ugly...and not the "leaning tower" part...But I love, love, love Art.
    Great bunch of chefs this time...so far, I haven't seen any god-like personalities.

Agreed, DL.

I wasn't wild about the looks of the cake, either. But, if I'd been the bride (seeing as how I'd be getting that sucker for free, AND made by one of the best, most well-known chefs in America), trust me, I'd've STILL been grinning like a death's head over it!

I'm SO glad Art lived to fight another day!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

I love grilled Romaine but charred bok choy, terrible idea! Lightly browned is the proper way to grill Romaine and not charred, anyway. I knew she was going home when I saw burned cabbage as a salad.

So the cake didn't look good but I bet the taste was fabulous despite what that judge said. I can never remember his name. James? Wedding cakes are rarely very good and pineapple upsidedown cake is one of my very favorites.

One of the best weddings I attended served a plate of French pastries at each table. They were delicious! And this after the best buffet I have ever experienced.

Art has lost a huge amount of weight and looks good. I like him.

Yep, apparently Art's cake (despite its looks!) DID taste good! I seem to remember Curtis asking the bride and groom what they thought of the food afterwards, and the groom commenting that he really liked how the cake tasted, what with the white chocolate in it (?) and all. Then they took a quick shot of James' face, and he seemed have an "Ooops! Oh, well!" reactive look on his face about what the groom had to say about the taste of the cake.

*Sighs* Is it just me, or can anyone else see Chris and Art continuing to butt heads until one of them is gone? I really liked and appreciated how Chris jumped in to help Art when Art's cake basically turned into the Titanic with pineapple. But, JMHO, Chris reads to me as a wee tad bit confrontational and abrasive. And Art DOESN'T read to me like a sucker that'll put up with that. I KNOW each one of the chefs is intense and in there swinging for their chosen charity. But I don't think it could hurt for Chris to dial it down a notch or two, either.

I really like that the show makes donations to the outgoing chefs' charities.

And what I've REALLY always liked about this show --- what reeled me into it in the first place --- is that these aren't wannabe/neophyte/newbie chefs in the kitchen wheeling and dealing. These are established, secure, professional individuals that've made their mark in their various areas of the culinary world.

And they're having to learn to deal with the insanity of the challenge set-ups (just like the regular Top Cheftestants). The shoe is on the other foot, here, in terms of their having to learn to cope with challenge twists and turns, having to come up with culinary answers for types of cuisines they've never dealt with (or dealt with, at all!), and I find that fascinating to watch.

I plan to keep tuning in to this one!
    Last edited by ness; 08-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    *Sighs* Is it just me, or can anyone else see Chris and Art continuing to butt heads until one of them is gone? I really liked and appreciated how Chris jumped in to help Art when Art's cake basically turned into the Titanic with pineapple. But, JMHO, Chris reads to me as a wee tad bit confrontational and abrasive. And Art DOESN'T read to me like a sucker that'll put up with that. I KNOW each one of the chefs is intense and in there swinging for their chosen charity. But I don't think it could hurt for Chris to dial it down a notch or two, either.
    I agree. Chris - as much as I like him - seems to be a "have the last word" kinda guy.
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Pork Belly Throw might be my favorite moment ever!
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I agree. Chris - as much as I like him - seems to be a "have the last word" kinda guy.
    I think Chris seems like a great guy and has become the victim of heavy editing. Did he say and do the things we're hearing and seeing? Yes. However, all reality shows need a "bad guy" and it seems Chris is the person this team of editors has chosen to fill that role. My bet is that many other of the type A personality contestants have had slightly negative interactions with one another and we just haven't seen their "battles"....yet.

That said, I've watched Chris compete with Aaron Sanchez, as his partner, on another food show and he IS quite competitive. It's just part of his DNA, I think.

I actually think Chris will win this competition. He's an outstanding chef!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I think Chris seems like a great guy and has become the victim of heavy editing. Did he say and do the things we're hearing and seeing? Yes. However, all reality shows need a "bad guy" and it seems Chris is the person this team of editors has chosen to fill that role. My bet is that many other of the type A personality contestants have had slightly negative interactions with one another and we just haven't seen their "battles"....yet.

That said, I've watched Chris compete with Aaron Sanchez, as his partner, on another food show and he IS quite competitive. It's just part of his DNA, I think.

I actually think Chris will win this competition. He's an outstanding chef!!
    And so handsome in his wedding photos. <3 love Chris
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread