+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Top Chef 2/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef 2/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Penultimate -- from the Latin meaning "we're gonna stretch this out as far as possible."

Who will be the FINAL final two? Or will they bring three back and carry the one?

Please keep all discussion in here until 11PM PT / 2AM ET.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef 2/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Why is the Top Chef Texas finale in Canada????

Yeah, usually they explain the reason for the locale change for the finale, but they didn't this season. Last week they all just arrived in snowy Canada and hit the gondolas...

Crazy!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

So Lindsay makes a perfectly cooked piece of fish with various types of tomato sauces, a tomato ice, and the drink that goes best with the dish and goes home. Meanwhile Sarah's frozen "sauce" (which sounded to me like the frozen sauce pellets in like those frozen pasta bag meals that TC pushed a few years back) didn't melt at all, Gail couldn't even cut through it, and she stays?!?! And, really, Tom calling Paul out for garnish? I know they have to nit-pick, but at least make it a reasonable sounding nit-pick; otherwise Tom comes off as less and less credible. I was worried at the start of the season that Emeril would be to OTT, but he was funny (the Bev hiding under the table remark was cute) and his criticism seemed more balanced.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Yeah, usually they explain the reason for the locale change for the finale, but they didn't this season. Last week they all just arrived in snowy Canada and hit the gondolas...
    It does seem especially strange that they tried so hard to link the challenges this season directly to Texas and then without any explanation, the finale takes place in Vancouver and has zero to do with anything Texan. They could have at least linked western Canada's history to the history of the American west, because there are similarities. Instead, they went from Texas to the Vancouver Olympics. Huh? When have the winter Olympics had any connection to Texas. Heck, so far as I know, Texas has never even hosted the summer Olympics. The whole thing was just goofy.
    RoxyKnox and jucamer like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    So Lindsay makes a perfectly cooked piece of fish with various types of tomato sauces, a tomato ice, and the drink that goes best with the dish and goes home. Meanwhile Sarah's frozen "sauce" (which sounded to me like the frozen sauce pellets in like those frozen pasta bag meals that TC pushed a few years back) didn't melt at all, Gail couldn't even cut through it, and she stays?!?! And, really, Tom calling Paul out for garnish? I know they have to nit-pick, but at least make it a reasonable sounding nit-pick; otherwise Tom comes off as less and less credible. I was worried at the start of the season that Emeril would be to OTT, but he was funny (the Bev hiding under the table remark was cute) and his criticism seemed more balanced.
    I've thought for some time that Tom gets to control things too much on Top Chef, and I've also thought for the last couple of challenges that he has wanted Sarah in the finale. Tom harping on the argula was beyond stupid. It was perhaps an ill-advised garnish but no way was it as big of a mistake as having a sauce that was frozen solid. Worse, Tom knew perfectly well what Sarah's intention was, as she explained to him ahead of time that she wanted it to melt over the pasta, so he was the one in the best position to call her out for it--and he didn't. Because he likes Sarah and wants her there, he brushed off the legitimate complaint Gail had and said Sarah should be given credit for being creative. Somehow, I think if Tom were in a restaurant and got something he expected to be a sauce frozen into a block, he would be sending it back.

Sometimes, I really think it would be better if the judges had no idea who had made what and had to judge blind, at least in the last few episodes.

I really don't want to watch the finale now, unless I'm certain ahead of time that Paul wins. As much as I'd like to see another female chef take it, I couldn't stand it if Sarah, who sugar coats when it suits her and is outright mean to others when it suits her, won. It would be like the junior high school bully winning class president. I liked Stephanie, the only female winner thus far, because she proved you didn't have to be a mean girl to win.
    dzigner and jucamer like this.

Tilden, you really hit the nail on the head with your post. My thoughts exactly tonight. Tom really pushed for Sarah...grrrr. It was very obvious. And I wanted to scream at him for going on and on about that one piece of arugala! That was so minor compared to Sarah's frozen sauce.
    Had to laugh at Sarah saying that the Anti-griddle became too cold and that's why her sauce was too frozen. Surely, something like that has a temperature control or thermostat where the chef can regulate the desired coldness...but being Sarah, of course, she would blame the appliance and it just couldn't be her fault in any way!
    I can't stand Sarah. I'm so hoping that Paul wins.
    Didn't someone on another thread for Top Chef explain that they couldn't get another city in Texas to comply with their needs and that's why they went elsewhere? I can't really remember the reason but I'm sure it involved $$.

I agree with you guys -- something's up with Tom this season. He was way too much in the tank for Sarah tonight. Even with editing, it was obvious.

This season in general had one good new idea -- Last Chance Kitchen -- and several bad aspects, including the "30 chefs" preliminary elimination a la American Idol, and Tom's judgment in general in these last few weeks. Maybe he just misses having better judges around him to argue with, like Bourdain and Ted Allen and Eric Ripert. I'd bet that Emeril Lagasse didn't give Tom & Gail as much to think about.

Time to root for Paul bigtime next week...Sarah gets on my last nerve. I can see this being a sequel to Harold vs. Tiffany. Hopefully Sarah's sous chefs will be drunk/hung over like Dave and Stephen were for Tiffany.
    dzigner likes this.

FORT Fogey

Tom Colicchio - Top Chef - On Being KO'd for Kale and Concept - Blog - Bravo TV Official Site

Tom explains their choices in his blog and it makes sense to me.

Though this season is not as compelling as all that have preceeded it, it is still one of my favorite shows. I was fine with Lindzi going home and I understand why after reading the blogs.

All the dishes were excellent but they have to leave the viewers with something wrong with each one so there will be some suspense. Paul's arugula was one example.

Sara made homemade pasta for 150 people; that was impressive. I would have ordered hers if given the choice on a menu.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 02-23-2012 at 06:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast