+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Top Chef 9: Last Chance Kitchen (BravoTV.com) **Spoilers**

Top Chef 9: Last Chance Kitchen (BravoTV.com) **Spoilers**

This thread is for discussion of the Last Chance Kitchen mini-episodes that air on BravoTV.com after each week's new episode of Top Chef. In each round, the eliminated chef goes up against the current Last Chance Kitchen champion for a chance to re-enter the main competition later this season. Think of it as Redemption Kitchen Island.

Last Chance Kitchen - Bravo TV Official Site | Bravo TV Official Site

In the first week, Andrew and Janine, the last two chefs eliminated from the 3 rounds of preliminaries to get the 16 chef coats, face off in a 30-minute pizza challenge.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Top Chef 9: Last Chance Kitchen (BravoTV.com)

I really like the double elimination direction the show is taking with the Last Chance Kitchen webisode that Tom Colicchio hosts and judges ...

well, rats!
    I was all excited, thinking this was a new show to watch but guess it's only "online." Nothing wrong with that except DH and I love watching cooking shows together.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    well, rats!
    I was all excited, thinking this was a new show to watch but guess it's only "online." Nothing wrong with that except DH and I love watching cooking shows together.
    I thought it was going to be a small Bravo TV segment following the show - not something I have to be online to see. I won't be following it on Bravo.com.

I think the advantage will go to the Chef lying in wait and will certainly be interesting to watch ...

Also double elimination ... thus, once the last-chance chef faces the regular series chef that has yet to be eliminated, and, lets say, the last-chance chef prevails, I would expect the chef never eliminated to be given one more shot in compeition and, if successful in that round, it would be a third cook off that finishes with a real winner, as why shouldn't every chef be given the same double elimination opportunity?

Anyway, an interesting piece on the subject ...

'Top Chef: Texas': A last-chance kitchen that has many problems - latimes.com

Is it a second chance? Or one more shot at being humiliated? And does the math even work?

Outside of the bake-off to trim the final roster for “Top Chef: Texas” from 29 contestants to 16 finalists, one of the key inventions of the ninth season in Bravo’s cooking competition is “Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen.”

The idea is to give popular cooks one more opportunity to get back into the match after being eliminated. But having seen its debut in Wednesday’s second “Top Chef” episode, I can say the invention appears to be creating as many potential problems as solving them and presents a mathematical obstacle that might worry Ben Bernanke.

Head judge Tom Colicchio said the Internet-only “Last Chance Kitchen” was partly inspired by last season’s dispatch of Tre, who stumbled in the series’ restaurant wars showdown. But in its premiere, in which Andrew was able to make a better pizza than Janine, the actual logistics of “Last Chance Kitchen” came into focus, and it’s not a pretty picture.

First of all, because it resides on Bravo’s website, you can’t TiVo the thing, meaning you have to get up from the TV, start up your laptop and (of all the indignities!) be forced to watch the commercials. As Colicchio explained it, though, there will be a “Last Chance Kitchen” every week, meaning that Andrew isn’t back in the show at all, but must repeat the whole exercise next week against whoever else has to pack their knives.

If you start crunching the numbers, whoever finally prevails in the “Last Chance Kitchen” might have to win a dozen or more head-to-head challenges. While that’s still a lot easier than working in a coal mine, it does require a remarkable run of execution and luck, and ultimately subverts one of the underlying (yet not always visible) tenets of “Top Chef” -- namely, that you can make it very far into the show having never won anything.

Last season, in “Top Chef: Masters,” Tiffany made it to the final four without winning a single elimination challenge. A season earlier, in the regular “Top Chef,” Amanda made it to the final six also without taking one elimination challenge prize. The loser’s bracket, in other words, is materially harder than the winner’s bracket. Whoever triumphs through the parallel “Last Chance Kitchen” contest could very easily win more direct matches than any of the finalists. And did I mention you have to get up from the TV to see it?

“I think it would almost be cooler,” Andrew said, “to win it from the ‘Last Chance Kitchen.’ ”
    We have to agree.

-- John Horn
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 11-11-2011 at 10:37 AM.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Who ever wrote that has a big problem with getting off their butt to turn a computer on. I have to laugh, it was less than 7 min long.. its one quick cook off, and I only had one ad to watch, a whole 10 seconds to start it off. I have no problem with it, I liked it a lot in fact, maybe because I realllly liked Andrew. I think its a great idea even if it is a bit RI-ish. But given that this season already started of with having to really earn your spot.. I see this as no different.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

If you start crunching the numbers, whoever finally prevails in the “Last Chance Kitchen” might have to win a dozen or more head-to-head challenges. While that’s still a lot easier than working in a coal mine, it does require a remarkable run of execution and luck, and ultimately subverts one of the underlying (yet not always visible) tenets of “Top Chef” -- namely, that you can make it very far into the show having never won anything.
    This aspect is exactly what I like about Last Chance -- whoever ends up coming back in the competition will have been doing nearly as much competing as the remaining chefs, and will have truly earned his/her place. I would only hope that the LC challenges will be a little more complex that "make a great pizza" in the coming weeks. I know it's a short web-show, but the chefs need a bit more of a challenge than that.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    Who ever wrote that has a big problem with getting off their butt to turn a computer on. I have to laugh, it was less than 7 min long.. its one quick cook off, and I only had one ad to watch, a whole 10 seconds to start it off.
    It doesn't play on my ipad though, which annoys me since that's the way I watch a lot of online content. :/

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Janine was very tired and because of that hysterically funny during the short show. I'm going to like this; I just have to remember to watch it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Episode 2: Keith vs. AndrewChallenge: Mise en Place Race, Make a Dish Incorporating the Ingredients

Wow ... Keith easily knocked out Andrew by serving Clams two ways ...

(So much for my theory of the incoming chef having the disadvantage ... LOL)

Last Chance Kitchen - Bravo TV Official Site | Bravo TV Official Site

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast