+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just Desserts 2 - 10/26 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Just Desserts 2 - 10/26 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Who will be the next Top (Pastry) Chef?

Please keep all discussion in here until 11PM PT / 2AM ET.

Enjoy the finale!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Just Desserts 2 - 10/26 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Well I really wanted Matthew to win (and apparently so did others judging from the poll), but I had a feeling Chris would win with Sally giving him a pretty good run for his money. If I were Matthew I would be a little hurt when I watched the episode back. As the judges were discussing whom should win, it seemed as if Matthew wasn't even in the running- it was always Chris-vs-Sally. I am glad Sally didn't win because I think not building your own showpiece is a big deal. Heck, I can design a beautiful showpiece on paper, complete with colors and angles and adornments, but I wouldn't have the first clue how to start building it. I think it was very important that the winner did most (if not all) of the work themselves. In my opinion, the sous chefs are there to be the worker bees and the step-and-fetches (mix batters, cut things out, etc), not to do the actual final product.

I did not get to see the finale last night but read the results. So teams had to actually build a showpiece, and that gave Chris the edge to win? Ugh. If so, that's just lame. I know he had to pay for his baby's operation and all, but something about Chris just bugged me enough to not want to see him win. Then again, it's Top Chef, the only winner I've ever liked in the entire franchise has been Stephanie.

Ever since the season began, I have been really bothered by the focus on showpieces, they did a lot, especially when compared to the first season when they had to do, like, just one. Showpieces are things that not every pastry chef can create, so it bothers me that this season put so much emphasis on them, especially in the finale.

Damn, Chris won? I might not even bother watching now. Of the three who were left, I was hoping Matthew would take it.

Oh, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I did not get to see the finale last night but read the results. So teams had to actually build a showpiece, and that gave Chris the edge to win? Ugh. If so, that's just lame. I know he had to pay for his baby's operation and all, but something about Chris just bugged me enough to not want to see him win. Then again, it's Top Chef, the only winner I've ever liked in the entire franchise has been Stephanie.

Ever since the season began, I have been really bothered by the focus on showpieces, they did a lot, especially when compared to the first season when they had to do, like, just one. Showpieces are things that not every pastry chef can create, so it bothers me that this season put so much emphasis on them, especially in the finale.
    There were several components (5?) of what they had to make. A showpiece was just one aspect of it. Sally didn't really work on it at all, other than design it.

I didn't love Chris, preferred Matthew to win, but am very happy Chris won for the operation. It didn't appear that Matthew was even really in the running according to what the judges were saying.

All the contestants made stuff that looked delicious.

+ Reply to Thread