+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 4/6 Reunion Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 4/6 Reunion Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Last season during Restaurant Wars Amanda had to make grass fed beef for the first time. She had the hardest time with it never having used it before. She said it was weird and compared it to cooking a wild animal. That dish very nearly sent her home. She reacted to that meat as if it weren't beef at all.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

Bravo reunion shows usually force the "stars" of each show to deal with face to face the things they've said behind each others backs. So I don't think it should have been a surprise to Elia or anyone else that they brought it up. I think that Tom deserved to have the chance to defend himself, especially because Elia's criticism made no sense. Tom has built his brand on serving food from local farmers, but that's his produce. He's always served grain fed meat, so doing so now is not "selling out". It's doing what he's always been doing. Elia was trying to expand Tom's views on produce to include meat also, but Tom's never been on board with that. It also seemed to me like Elia was trying to hold Tom 100% to the art of cooking, ignoring the business aspect. Maybe that's why Tom owns kitchens, while Elia works in them, and Tom sits at the judge's table while Elia is a contestant. Being pure to the art is a nice ideal, but there's business behind it too.

FORT Fogey

I guess that depends on what you consider "the art of cooking." I think it's about taste just as much as anything else, and satisfying the diner. Cornfed beef seems to do that more.

I think it was fair to give Tom a chance to confront Elia about what she said, because it was so outlandish and malicious.

I did notice, however, that Andy got a little defensive with Dale T. when they spoke about his girlfriend's ring, and he said "I'm still waiting on the check!" Very funny.

As a note, I re-wound and watched (twice, just to be sure) the scene between Tom and Elia and it was NOT Padma, but Casey, who leaned over and and said to Elia " You don't have to answer the question if you don't want to".

FORT Fogey

I loved this reunion show but as always it flies by. The Angelo segment was fabulous as were the brother love pieces. Adorable.

I could have done without the grass fed beef discussion; I have heard it all before, many times. It took time away from the chefs who I would have loved to hear more from. I thought Tom handled it well.

Padma and her motorboat comment was hysterical! She just wanted to work that in. I had to look it up.

More out takes next time, PLEASE! These were the highlight of the show, for me.

Corn is cheaper to buy but in turn it means the corn growers aren't able to make a decent living.

Cows are physiologically not meant to eat corn. They are supposed to ruminate their food (grasses) and so for optimal digestive health they should be eating diets of grasses.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Elia is wrong in what she is doing, but so is the show. They are taking something that was sort of minor and possibly ending her career. I find it interesting how many of the chefs that were sort of defending Elia or nodding their heads when she was speaking. I think I counted at least five reacting positively to what she was saying.
    I don't think it'll end her career. There's lots of people who agree with her viewpoint. I think what could cause her problems is that she came off looking like a sore loser, but not for her strong beliefs regarding how food should be produced and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    I think bravo felt like they needed to address it on the show because it was a big thing in the press and they actually had both Elia and Tom there to speak directly to each other. Whatever fallout Elia suffers is her own making because she came across as a bitter chef who was trying to slam Tom in any way she could in revenge for her elimination. She didn't seem to have much evidence of any kind to back up her claims, and she couldn't even articulate her grievance well.
    I also think Bravo wanted this issue addressed while Tom and Elia were both there. To Tom's credit, he previously didn't make a big issue of it in the media in his defense when it happened so this was a perfect opportunity in Bravo's eyes.
    I don't think either of them will have negative repercussions about their veiwpoints because there's plenty of supporters on each side.

I enjoyed the show soooo much! The outtakes are hilarious, the love and comradery between the chefs is great to watch and mostly, I loved seeing the judges behave like real people, laughing and having fun in the process.
    Loved all the chefs but Fabio.........be still my heart!!

FORT Fogey

Elia was just grandstanding her point of view. Telling Tom he "sold out" was youthful idealism rearing its head. You cannot sell out by following your own sensibilities. He never claimed any other stance. And this debate is no different than trying to convince a Rebublican to see the Democrat point of view on a given topic. Just do what you think is right for you and let others do as they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal View Post

Could care less about the Tom and Elia battle and they wasted valuable time with it. Tom and the show came off like the food mafioso. Tom has a solid reputation in his industry and some up and coming contestant on a show wouldn't have touched that one bit. If he felt the need to respond it could have been done without giving so much time to the issue. Totally overblown situation. If you're going to do that should you then give every contestant a chance to respond to every harsh remark made about them during or after the season? They have to suck it up, so does Tom.
    I thought that Elia came off as the "food mafioso" trying to tell Tom and every other chef what they can and can't serve or endorse. I think it's great that she has her views of what is right and wrong and plans to follow those throughout her career, but expecting everyone else to follow her rules is just ridiculous.

I will agree that she came off looking really sour and honestly kind of silly, but I directed that comment towards Tom because it felt like a very uneven argument. I think that's probably why Dale L. and was it Casey who came in and tried to get her out of that spot. Honestly, in the food world she's nobody. Tom is established and has a great reputation. He could have responded and urged that drama seeking missle Andy to move on. The argument just went on and on and began to take on the feeling that it was Elia against the entire Bravo family (because Tom was slaughtering her) on an issue that most of us viewers could care less about. The more time they gave the issue, the more Elia looked really bad and that should not have been the point of addressing what she said. It was a public flogging. This is coming from someone who doesn't even like Elia but she was so outmatched I felt uncomfortable watching that. To me they could have touched on it and moved on to one of the chefs that we heard little to nothing from that night.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 04-10-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast