+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 3/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 3/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I do not like Antonia at all, and hope she goes next. Mike would have been the one from the beginning that I thought stood no chance at all, and clearly he has some negative issues, but he is trying to better himself and stretching himself. Richard is not the same this season as he was in his last one, however it seems that they are constantly not giving him the wins to give him the big one in the end. His dishes have been in the top a lot, and they hand it to others time and time again.

I think there is no shock that Mike and Antonia were in the end with Carla and Richard. Arguably Richard and Carla suffered two of the biggest upsets in their finales, and I think they felt would give them the biggest props from fans if one of them won. I think a lot of the more talented chefs got the boot way too early, and I think Jamie would be in the end if she had not made it so hard to hide her flaws.

I try to keep an open mind about the judging and the eliminations this season, because except for a few crazy weeks over the years, I still generally trust the judging and the rules of the show.

Also, I really want Richard to win, and if he does, I don't want any bad aftertaste about it. To me, he really is worthy of the title. Antonia is too, but maybe a little less so, if only because her approach is simpler and less adventurous. She's just as talented and cooks with as much (if not more) heart, but for me Richard would make a slightly more exciting champion.

As for Mike, he's an average chef who enjoys being on reality TV a little too much. He's all cockiness and game-face, and until this past week I saw no evidence that he even packed his heart in his suitcase, let alone was cooking with it. A Mike win would be a waste of a great season for me.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I try to keep an open mind about the judging and the eliminations this season, because except for a few crazy weeks over the years, I still generally trust the judging and the rules of the show.

Also, I really want Richard to win, and if he does, I don't want any bad aftertaste about it. To me, he really is worthy of the title. Antonia is too, but maybe a little less so, if only because her approach is simpler and less adventurous. She's just as talented and cooks with as much (if not more) heart, but for me Richard would make a slightly more exciting champion.

As for Mike, he's an average chef who enjoys being on reality TV a little too much. He's all cockiness and game-face, and until this past week I saw no evidence that he even packed his heart in his suitcase, let alone was cooking with it. A Mike win would be a waste of a great season for me.
    I know that Richard (if there was a 3 month gap in filming) had to be a bit "bedraggled" because his wife was at least 8 mos. pregnant when they were in the Bahamas. He seems like a great husband and dad and that more than likely made him more nervous than usual.

While it's nice that Mike and Richard stated that they studied up for the finale, this does not mean that the women did not do the same. If I remember correctly Tiffany stated that she was not familiar with removing the conch from the shell, but she was familiar with cooking with the conch itself. Antonia mentioned something about island flavors, but may have made the mistake of not focusing on a conch recipe. I think once everyone was required to dive for conch, cook under whatever wind and weather was there to threaten them at the time, and all manage to produce sand free dishes-that was great work on all of their parts. I'm really hoping for an Antonia win. Would not be mad at a Blaise win. A Mike win would be fairly dissapointing.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Regular

I kind of want Richard, but I think Antonia is a hoot. She'd be a blast to go out and have a beer with.

Of the final 3 I believe Richard and Antonia both have the most skills. Mike did practice with foods that would be needed for his stint in the Bahamas, so I give him props for that.

Richard has had an awful lot of PI's, so I'm kinda thinking he's the winner. I'd be just as happy with Antonia as well.

I'm confused with how this contest works.
    Apparently, the results are not cululitive, as in all the weekly competitions count only to keep you in the running. They don't add up to an overall score.

So that someone who just stays under the radar, nothing great but nothing awful, keeps in the running, can have a lucky last dish and win the whole thing??

Maybe I'm just being extra blonde today
    but would appreciate it if someone would explain that to me.

I've enjoyed all seasons of this show but never looked at it that way. I get more involved with personalities and the finished dishes....usually looking up some of the recipes.

It's true that the results aren't cumulative, just like Project Runway. But I think it's harder for a middling chef to go all the way to the Top Chef finals than it is for a Wendy Pepper to make it to Fashion Week on PR.

The best chefs end up sticking around because a) the challenges cover a wide variety of cuisine, so someone like Fabio who can't stop making pasta will eventually stumble; b) the challenges aren't just about cooking, but teamwork and leadership, so people who can't run a kitchen with confidence and authority tend to get weeded out too; 3) they film the whole season in about a month, which means the chefs are constantly having to be creative, so someone without a lot of imagination or energy (Jamie Soups-n-Scallops) will also fade away.

Most of the Top Chefs seem to be worthy winners, except maybe Ilan and Hosea (just my opinion, your mileage may vary). Kevin seemed to come out of nowhere to win S7, and yes Angelo was sick in bed for part of the finals, but I still think it was a fair fight. (I wanted Ed to win anyway ).

It's not a perfect system, but the judging still seems honest, so I don't have any complaints. That is, I won't unless Mike wins All-Stars. Then everything you said is true and the system sucks!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp View Post
    I don't get why all the grumbling about the show being "dragged out". I enjoy the show and wouldn't mind watching it every week for the rest of the year. What a peculiar sentiment. Don't forget, they all made it to the final instead of someone being eliminated so that added another week, unless they were going to eliminate two chefs at once.

I agree!

Just because we didn't hear Antonia say she practiced for the Bahama's doesnt mean she didnt. I noticed that she was the only one who served conch raw and the locals mentioned that is the way they preferred it. She must have know this.

FORT Fogey

Agreed. I'm sure the producers interview them all about the same things and then pick the most relevant or amusing bits to use on camera. So, since Mike was going to win the challenge, the used that as a bit of foreshadowing. It doesn't mean all the rest of the contestants didn't practice.

As far as sneaking under the radar goes, this has happened before, but never gotten someone into the final. At a certain point, a dish that is "too safe" or uninspired will be a fatal flaw, usually when it gets down to the wire. So, yes, in some cases truly fantastic chefs go home before mediocre chefs, because a driven, passionate chef is going to go up and down a lot. They are more creative and tend to take more risks, or put more on their plate (pun intended) so they are more likely to fail, but also more likely to win, in a sense. Jaime really did this in her first season, which admittedly was less talented than others as a whole, but she was just utterly uninspired, as we've seen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast