+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 3/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 3/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Click to see Spoiler:
    Is it just me or is Mike getting a winner's edit?
    Tiffani sorry to see you leave. But to be honest, liked you better the first time around on your first airing, not on All-Stars though in all. You seem to be a nice person in general.
    Autumn Winds!

Honestly-I liked most of the people who got the "likeable" edit better the first time around. Liked most of the people who got the crap edit the first go around better this time around. Marcel and Carla remained consistent, as did a couple of others.

Glad nobody is going home empty handed. Tiffany added $15,000 to her account and hopefully, now that she's mentioned being self trained, she will improve upon her resume and get to work for a major chef as the others have done.

I don't want Richard to win, but I'll feel bad for him if he's sent home. the guy looks on the verge of a heart attack during every single challenge. He's going to need the $200k to pay off the therapist he'll need if he loses.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

A few unrelated thoughts about the show:

1)When Tiffany said she was worried, because there were sharks in the water, I was dealing with some additional noise in the room, and I misheard her. I thought she said shorts, not sharks. My response: "Dear God in Heaven, don't let Mike have lost his trunks!"
    2)Speaking of which, I really could have lived without watching Mike's belly a'flappin' in the water.
    3)Started wondering tonight what Project Runway designers could do in terms of dressing Top Chef contestants. I realize they dress casually in the kitchen, but I was wondering what they'd looked like if they were dressed up like owners of restaurants instead of kitchen rats.
    4)When everyone started whacking away at those conch, I recalled how often I've seen chefs on various cooking contest shows cut themselves and wondered if someone would end up severing a limb.
    5)Thought the judges made the right decision. I can't stand cold soup, unless it was meant to be cold in the first place, perhaps because my mother was very big on everything being piping hot to the point of her soup being hazardous--delicious, but very likely to burn one's tongue. But, truthfully, I don't like coconut that much either, so I probably wouldn't have liked it much piping hot either. Of the three, it was the dish whose description I liked least--but again, I'm really not a coconut fan, so maybe it's just me.

The hammer strikes again!

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. -- Spock, Amok Time

I just didn't get the hot soup/ceviche combo. Even if the diners miraculously got her soup the moment she plopped that cold ceviche in it- it would have warmed the ceviche and cooled the soup. My Mom used to put ice cubes in our good old fashioned Campbell's Chicken Noodle when we were kids to cool it down. I hated the hot spots and cold spots- yuck! I am someone who also wants my food (as my husband says...) "hotter than the hinges of Hell".

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal View Post
    I guess Mike was the surprise in the final 3.

With that being said-Go Antonia. She is the only one left without the 'tude. I really liked Richard much more the first go around, this time the trash talk about the food that others create has soured me.
    Yeah, I agree.

Richard's stress is building each week and his attitude escalating. I loved Antonia's comment, "sure, potato pasta is classic, what is wrong with you"? If he doesn't win we are going to see a meltdown.

Maybaybie Ceviche is a cold dish where the seafood is "cooked" in acid, usually lemon juice. You cannot heat it. Well, you could but it would result in overcooking. Better to have just made a hot soup and poach the seafood.

Mike is becoming increasingly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    Yeah, I agree.

Maybaybie Ceviche is a cold dish where the seafood is "cooked" in acid, usually lemon juice. You cannot heat it. Well, you could but it would result in overcooking. Better to have just made a hot soup and poach the seafood.

Mike is becoming increasingly annoying.
    Yes I know what ceviche is (but I understand some may not), however if you put something cold in something hot it is going to warm it up whether you want it warmed up or not. It just sounded gross to me either way.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Yes I know what ceviche is (but I understand some may not), however if you put something cold in something hot it is going to warm it up whether you want it warmed up or not. It just sounded gross to me either way.
    Yes, it did sound terrible. I know that there are soups that do have a 'cold finish' as Tiffany phrased it, but usually the cold element is added at the table. I knew when she served it that she would be going home so I enjoyed the rest of the show knowing Antonia was safe.

I am shocked Mike won. His dish looked delicious but the comments on the butter seemed to imply it just was not there.

FORT Fogey

I can't tell if there is such a thing as a "winner's edit". Carla talked alot about having a female winner which I thought might mean she would go the distance. Now we have Mike talking about how he has a chance at this thing so maybe it doesn't bode well for him in the same way?

We hear much less from Richard and Antonia being hopeful about winning, so maybe it will come down to them?

I thought Tiffany's exit interview was lovely. She may not be the best in town, but she has a really good point. Being self-taught and without the benefit of world-class chefs to work under, she has done very well for herself. She should be very proud. She is my choice for fan favorite - even over Carla.

I also liked that Antonia had the courage to call it like she sees it - her dish may have been simple, but it's what she does. No apologies needed. It tasted good and that is what counts. If Top Chef wants to change the criteria for winning to include "most complicated" dish, then it should do so. Otherwise, Mike and Blais need to shut up already.

Although, I have to say, I appreciate when the contestants push themselves the way these guys have. I also like that they were smart enough to "train" for the trip to the Bahamas. Mike trained with a bunch of chefs and both he and RIchard practised a bunch of recipes - including working with conck.

Hate to say it, and as much as I adore Antonia, these last two points have elevated the boys for me, and I'd like to see them go F1 and F2.

Really Richard? You're growing a beard? I don't think those craggy patches on your face qualify as a "beard." Richard really has some pathological hair issues. He's going to have a nervous breakdown if he ever goes bald.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast