+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    I was kinda sad to see so many of the chefs struggling with this challenge. I'm from the south and I love Cajun food, so I was excited to see what the chefs would come up with.
    ITA.
    Was in New Orleans in December...........oh, the wonderful food and the Crystal hot sauce.
    Surprised that so many had trouble with this.

Mike was a dog in this contest. No, it wasn't technically, exclusively Richard's recipe but he did put the idea into Mike's head that morning. Mike almost as much admitted it, without really admitting it. Yeah, Richard shouldn't have shared his ideas but maybe Righard forgets that there are people out there who'd actually steal from you. Makes Richard someone who thinks the best of people and I'm not a big Richard fan.

I think Antonia is going to be the dark horse in this contest....unless she stresses out as much as Carla and Tiffany are doing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal View Post
    If anyone had a golden touch this season it's been Dale, followed by Antonia. Everyone else seemed to be a bit off from their previous seasons, excluding Mike, who is pretty much who he was during his season. I can understand Angelo and Tiffany being saddled with a combination of fatigue and not having the time to sit and develop a new arsenal of recipes for the show. I can understand people like Blaise, Carla, Angelo and Jen doing so well in their seasons and getting such high praise that they have added pressure on themselves to do even better this time. I can understand people like Dale T and Tiffani F. wanting to do some repair to their images. Add that to the fact that they have all done this before and don't get to indulge in the excuse of not being ready to cook in a Top Chef situation. This season just doesn't have the same expectations of your average season of Top Chef. Couple that all with the feeling that each of them may feel like they are cooking next to the cream of the crop and that there are few to no truly weak links. You can see Richard and now Carla feeling the pressure. Jen was the first to crack with her outburst. Not many of us would have thought that Jaime would hide under a table or use a cut on the finger to avoid cooking. As fun as this season has been, in a way it's been kind of sad to see so many of our favorites underperform or crumple this go around. I'd like to believe that they are more like the chefs we saw the first time around than they are this go around.
    Very well said! I agree. This season has been mostly fun, but it's hard watching the chefs feel under so much pressure

FORT Fogey

Re the pressure on the chefs: Perhaps that's why the "best of the best" competitions should be left to Top Chef Masters. Those chefs don't need to worry about their reputations, as they have already made their reputations. They also already have their own restaurants, careers, etc., and they're playing for charity as opposed to playing for prizes and cash for themselves. As a result, while they're still competitive and still want to win, they generally appear to be less stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Re the pressure on the chefs: Perhaps that's why the "best of the best" competitions should be left to Top Chef Masters. Those chefs don't need to worry about their reputations, as they have already made their reputations. They also already have their own restaurants, careers, etc., and they're playing for charity as opposed to playing for prizes and cash for themselves. As a result, while they're still competitive and still want to win, they generally appear to be less stressed.
    But bear in mind, the Masters aren't forced to live together in an apartment, and they aren't woken up at 4am to go fishing or forced to stay up all night, and they aren't separated from their wives, husbands, and children, hanging out 24/7 with some very strong personalities. It's a very different type of challenge. The All Stars have, I feel, already proven themselves as chefs - the competition is as much an endurance test as a test of the strongest chef.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26 View Post
    But bear in mind, the Masters aren't forced to live together in an apartment, and they aren't woken up at 4am to go fishing or forced to stay up all night, and they aren't separated from their wives, husbands, and children, hanging out 24/7 with some very strong personalities. It's a very different type of challenge. The All Stars have, I feel, already proven themselves as chefs - the competition is as much an endurance test as a test of the strongest chef.
    I didn't mean to discount everything else they go through. That was kind of my point. I meant that the All-Stars are put through so much, in addition to perhaps feeling that their reputations are on the line, that it seems fairer and more humane to keep the "all-stars" kind of competition to those master chefs who are already acknowledged stars and have less to lose or adjust the all-stars competition so it's more like the master chefs competition and they feel as if they aren't so pressured.

The thing is, those established chefs would never sign on to a show that would put them in a postion to make a truly awful dish. Sure, on Masters there are surprises and challenges, but nothing that could sink them the way a challenge can sink the ordinary TC contestant. They are ever mindful to keep the challenges where those chefs will make at the very least a good dish even if it does not win. They may think that doing Masters truly lets them know what TC is like, but in reality it only gives them a taste of what the ordinary contestants on the show goes through. Sure, it's tough, but it's not as tough, and they don't have nearly as many challenges that allow them to have other chefs fiddling in their food the way that TC does. They are, for the most part, fully in charge of their dishes with no need to assert themselves to another chef about how their food should and will be done.

Also, they have no fear of a truly vicious comment being leveled at their food. Nor do they have to worry about Paula Deen saying it reminds them of spit balls. It just won't happen. They demand a level of courtesy that the average TC contestant is not afforded. It's likely why Carla went after the fish a second time. It's hard to let a comment like that stand on a dish you made. It would be hard to let a comment like that stand in your home kitchen. It's a million times worse on national tv.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 02-25-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

I think Dale leaving struck Carla in a good way. She lost the plot in the finale of her season and I have a hunch that she is pulling herself in and going to stick with her style and give them good dishes from now on. Wishful thinking? Sure. We have seen her roller coaster before and she just hit the down loop and is headed to excellence. She will draw from her pot pie win and proceed to win more.

Whenever I attend a large event, weddings included, I never expect the food to be exceptional; I hope for reasonable. I prefer challenges with fewer diners. We get to see more of what they are capable of. And that is why I watch. I want to see the over the top fabulous creations.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    I also didn't like that Paula kept mentioning how Antonia would have won-saying it once was enough, saying it over and over was a bit unkind. then again, I've never exactly seen Paula Deen as having the most tact. She's definitely one to say whatever's on her mind without running it through a filter.
    I have zero respect for paula deen. She is a step below Sanda Lee in my opinion. I know many other chefs have no classic training and have made their own way, but shes nothing amazing.. I would have much rather had Besh there in her place and I DO find him to be an arrogant turd.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman View Post
    I have zero respect for paula deen. She is a step below Sanda Lee in my opinion. I know many other chefs have no classic training and have made their own way, but shes nothing amazing.. I would have much rather had Besh there in her place and I DO find him to be an arrogant turd.
    I don't really watch Paula's show. She's just a little too syrupy sweet to me to take for any length of time, not to mention I'd be the size of a house if I made all her recipes!.....BUT..........I have tried some of them that were in some magazines.

When Mr. Dragonlady wondered who she was and why she was so strange, I told him to bite his tongue because he most definitely loved her, for nothing more than her crab cakes and the stuffed jumbo shrimp, wrapped in bacon. They are both to die for. Once I told him that, he definitely overlooked that heavy accent and "good ol' boy" attitude.

FORT Fogey

Her mac n cheese is to die for as well, and her cheesy biscuits.... I can feel my arteries hardening as I write this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast