+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 2/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 2/16 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    We did see the designer. He created the dining space for the employees, not the stations.
    I don't see how that was any kind of "help" to the chefs in finishing their work. This wasn't Restaurant Wars II. I think Padma oversold the designer to them, while giving him a free plug on TV.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

I disagree. He did exactly what she said he was going to do. He took care of the space for the diners, which is what she said. It confused me too at first, but the chefs seemed to understand what they had to do. Plus, I've read on Tom's blog that after he or Padma explains the EC for the cameras, the producers come in and explain in much greater detail for the chefs. So I don't think she shortchanged the chefs, but she certainly confused us.

I'm not saying that the chefs didn't know what was going on, I just meant that what the designer did wasn't such a big whoop that it merited a mention on the show. It was a blatant plug for whoever the guy is. I wonder if he paid for it...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I don't see how that was any kind of "help" to the chefs in finishing their work. This wasn't Restaurant Wars II. I think Padma oversold the designer to them, while giving him a free plug on TV.
    Yeah I agree, it was the way she sold it. When she said, "he'll help you" I took that literally to mean the chefs were also to create, not necessarily a full-blown restaurant, but something more than just a meal in the isles of an empty retail establishment and from what I saw it really wasn't much more than that. Since Target presumably put up the 25k for the prize I suppose they wanted to advertise that they employ a designer.

Quote of the show:

Mike (when presenting his dish): "We got some coconut soup, it's got a little spice to it; some fresh coconut milk."

Padma: "You found fresh coconuts here?"

Mike: "No. I found coconut milk."

Padma: "Then it's not fresh coconut milk"

Ziiiiiiiiiing!!!

Well, I may be in the minority but I was crushed to see Angelo leave. He was very gracious and humble and thankful while doing so though, so kudos to him. He did look sooo tired though, and I guess I forgot the he and Tiffany have basically done this show continuously for months. Angelo, you are one of my favourite TC's of all time, and I would gladly eat anything you create. You did yourself and your son proud!!

Carla was making me crazy running around worrying about tableclothes. Sheesh, girl, just COOK!

So glad to see Dale, my other fave, win both the QF and the EC, and a nice chunk of change! I don't think his dish was too simple, and it seemed to be the perfect thing to eat, especially at 3 am. The flavours were wonderful, was what I heard, and I think he won also because his unique way of cooking the sandwiches gave them a great crunchy crust, combined with a spicy and flavourful soup...mmmm... Loved his explanation about dorm rooms, too much partying, and cheap comfort food at 3 am. Go Dale!!

I liked Antonia this episode too. Would love to see her, Dale and Tiffany in the F3, but I think Blaize will be there in the place of one of them. So happy to see that Dale at least made enough to cover rent for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    So glad to see Dale, my other fave, win both the QF and the EC, and a nice chunk of change! I don't think his dish was too simple, and it seemed to be the perfect thing to eat, especially at 3 am. The flavours were wonderful, was what I heard, and I think he won also because his unique way of cooking the sandwiches gave them a great crunchy crust, combined with a spicy and flavourful soup...mmmm... Loved his explanation about dorm rooms, too much partying, and cheap comfort food at 3 am. Go Dale!!
    Sweetpea, you've gotta tell me why you like Dale so much? What am I missing?
    Usually I like most of the contestants but I do tend to be put off by negative and cranky behavior, which is what I see in Dale. Not saying he's not a good chef, because he is but then all of them really are. These are the cream of the crop.
    I should like him since my middle name is Dale but I still don't.
    Did he show a side to him that I didn't see?

I also really like Dale. Actually, I even liked him during his season despite the anger issues, just in terms of his being a strong chef. He won me over when he was Stephanie's sous chef during the finale, and saved her dish after she'd left the pork out overnight by accident.

The fact that he had the self-awareness to take an anger management class, and the range of his talents this season both reinforce my belief he's one of the strongest people there. I disagree with whoever said he has to put an Asian spin on everything. He's shown his technical skills in the Justo QF, he knew very little about molecular gastronomy yet aced the WD-40 challenge, and he cooked comfort food this past week. The judges also loved his fish tacos during the Montauk challenge. The other chefs (aside from Marcel) seem to really like him and in RW seemed excited to work with him.

I also think it's sweet how much he talks about his girlfriend. (I also loved how Tre talked about his "sous chef in life.")

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I was ambivalent about Dale until the episode this season when Marcel was acting ghetto in his face on the rooftop. When Dale refrained from throwing Marcel over the edge of the roof, I figured his anger management classes had proven their value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Sweetpea, you've gotta tell me why you like Dale so much? What am I missing?
    Usually I like most of the contestants but I do tend to be put off by negative and cranky behavior, which is what I see in Dale. Not saying he's not a good chef, because he is but then all of them really are. These are the cream of the crop.
    I should like him since my middle name is Dale but I still don't.
    Did he show a side to him that I didn't see?
    I'm glad you asked. I didn't actually care for Angry Dale from his original season, but this time around I really feel like he's matured and he's changed. Sure he has had flashes of the old Dale, but his reaction to Marcel when he was pushing buttons out on the terrace, just walking away, made me really like him. He's cooking better, he seems to have learned a lot from his first experience on the show, and he really seems happy to be there and grateful for the prizes he's won. He's focused on doing his best, and he's been kicking butt! I loved his comment about living in the dorm, and about how the prize $$ this week would equal a year's rent...I guess he just seems like a regular guy and I can't help but cheer for him. I liked his story about his dad too, on the show where they went fishing. I just really like him a great deal better than the first time around, whereas I feel like some others, such as Blaise, I still feel the same about and don't really care for.

At this point I really like Dale, Carla, and Antonia. Any of them winning would be good by me!

ETA: I should have just quoted Texasgal in her post, above. She outlined many reasons why I too really like Dale!

FORT Fogey

I'm glad you asked. I didn't actually care for Angry Dale from his original season, but this time around I really feel like he's matured and he's changed. Sure he has had flashes of the old Dale, but his reaction to Marcel when he was pushing buttons out on the terrace, just walking away, made me really like him. He's cooking better, he seems to have learned a lot from his first experience on the show, and he really seems happy to be there and grateful for the prizes he's won. He's focused on doing his best, and he's been kicking butt! I loved his comment about living in the dorm, and about how the prize $$ this week would equal a year's rent...I guess he just seems like a regular guy and I can't help but cheer for him. I liked his story about his dad too, on the show where they went fishing. I just really like him a great deal better than the first time around, whereas I feel like some others, such as Blaise, I still feel the same about and don't really care for.

At this point I really like Dale, Carla, and Antonia. Any of them winning would be good by me!

ETA: I should have just quoted Texasgal in her post, above. She outlined many reasons why I too really like Dale!
    I'd have to agree with your asessment of Dale. I think that Dale and Tiffani F both showed in All-Stars that they saw themselves on TV from their original season, didn't like what they saw, and worked to improve themselves. Its kind of refreshing from the usual "bad edit" excuses of many reality show people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast