+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4189964;
    Well honestly MOST of these guys have this problem.

Richard is uncomfortable if he can't be experimental.

Marcel is uncomfortable if he can't put foam on top of something.

Mike is uncomfortable if he has to get away from Mediterranean influences.

Fabio is uncomfortable if its not Italian. Period.

Jamie is uncomfortable if its not a Scallop.

It's true a lot of them seem to be uncomfortable if it's not within a limited area of their "expertise"

FORT Fan

I'll definitely admit I'm completely biased when it comes to Fabio because not only is he my most favorite contestant ever and he's the one whose food I'd most like to try, but I think it was ridiculous he was sent home this week.

I thought for sure it would be Tiffany, who didn't even make the dish she was assigned. I think that's a far greater crime than falling a little short on the execution. It may have been the best chicken soup in the world, but she was supposed to make chicken and dumplings (and as a southerner, I LOVE chicken and dumplings). If the contestants can ignore the boundaries of each challenge and make whatever they want, why even have themed challenges? I felt the same way in season four when they had the improve challenge and Lisa and her partner got away with not using polish sausage in their dish. There's putting your own interpretation on a dish (like Angelo did in using Asian spices in his pulled pork) and there's just completely going off in a different direction. I wish the judges would take that into consideration, when a contestant doesn't follow the rules of the challenge.

If not her, I thought it would be Dale. Because it seemed like it wasn't just that his bread had rock salt on it, it seemed like EVERYTHING was too salty. Didn't Gail describe it as being like "a salt lick on top of a salt lick"? Which would make me think that the whole dish was inedible. Eric Ripert makes the same argument on his blog, saying that inedible trumps a dry burger.

Which brings me to Fabio-it seems the two mistakes he made were that the meat was a little dry and that the cheese sauce was lumpy, both of which are minor execution issues that did NOT make his dish inedible (unlike Dale's). And even though his cheese was lumpy, I LOVED the idea of a hot cheese sauce poured over a burger-I've had a slice of cold, unmelted cheese on too many burgers, so the idea of warm gooey cheese sauce makes me really hungry. Plus if it had worked, it might have given the meat the added moisture it needed.

I think Fabio unfairly got the sh** stick, as he and Stefan would say, and I think he should still be there.

So there are only 7 left?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Fabio's burger looked disgusting and that little cup of greasy cheese just made it worse. I didn't like the way he was pestering Antonia about the mussels in the recap, he was being a jerk. Glad he's gone.

Just like Marcel, I think Richard is getting too caught up on technique and forgetting to simply make good food like Carla's doing. Plus his hair is getting ridiculous.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;4191085;
    If not her, I thought it would be Dale. Because it seemed like it wasn't just that his bread had rock salt on it, it seemed like EVERYTHING was too salty. Didn't Gail describe it as being like "a salt lick on top of a salt lick"? Which would make me think that the whole dish was inedible. Eric Ripert makes the same argument on his blog, saying that inedible trumps a dry burger.
    If you watch them actually eating Dale's dish, at the beginning they're very complementary. It was only after a few more bites that the saltiness really came out. That would indicate that, served on a different bread, it would have been good. The word inedible was never uttered.

Also Eric Ripert didn't taste any of the food....

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4188601;
    Tre last week . . . Fabio this week . . . leaves me with just one thing to say . . . GO CARLA!!!!!
    And I have nothing pretty to look at....here's hoping that Ripert is soon a judge! LOL

By the way, I second this. Carla is my last horse in this race, although I wouldn't mind Antonia taking it all just because of the sour grapes from the men when she won with her "French" Italian mussels.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;4191838;
    And I have nothing pretty to look at....here's hoping that Ripert is soon a judge! LOL

By the way, I second this. Carla is my last horse in this race, although I wouldn't mind Antonia taking it all just because of the sour grapes from the men when she won with her "French" Italian mussels.
    But can the Black Hammer avoid nailing her own coffin shut in the finals? Didn't she go out in the final challenge before the finale in her season?

Yes, but the Black Hammer went up against the Crossed Arms of Lisa, and apparently Arms trump Hammer.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4191303;

Just like Marcel, I think Richard is getting too caught up on technique and forgetting to simply make good food like Carla's doing. Plus his hair is getting ridiculous.

I used to be a fan of Richard but I think he has developed a bit of a 'tude...hubris is so no flattering! It's interesting that the two people who toot their own horns the least (Antonia and Carla) have been doing the best throughout the season! I was not a fan of Antonia in her season but she has really grown on me and Id be happy to see her or Carla take the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4192138;

I used to be a fan of Richard but I think he has developed a bit of a 'tude...hubris is so no flattering! It's interesting that the two people who toot their own horns the least (Antonia and Carla) have been doing the best throughout the season! I was not a fan of Antonia in her season but she has really grown on me and Id be happy to see her or Carla take the prize.
    That's true, golden boy just knows he's the one who should be the winner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast