+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 2/2 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 2/2 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

[QUOTE=texasgal26;4180452;]
    Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4180227;

Tom I thought cut Fabio the most slack. He said that while Fabio's dish was Italian, Antonia's was Italian-American, which was fine for the challenge. He explained that Italian-Americans often found they had different ingredients available in the U.S., so they stuck to the basics of Italian cooking (the flavor profiles, good ingredients, simple combinations) but with different ingredients. I actually liked his explanation and thought he was still placing an emphasis on the "Italian" theme of the challenge.
    I can understand that, given Tom's explaination. Having grown up with Italian immigrant parents, different available ingredients is quite a common exchange.
    I didn't have a problem with Antonia's dish but was probably blindly on Fabio's side in all things.

I'm honestly surprised that Richard Blah won the Quickfire over Carla's beautiful plate, because to me Blah's dish looked like gravel with some herbs on top, it was just horrid. Then again, most of those dishes looked yuck to me.

And I'm even more surprised at Tre getting eliminated, when it seemed to me like all 3 dishes were bad, but I would've expected both Dale and Isabella to be eliminated, their dishes just looked worse to me. It didn't help that I liked Tre and despise both Dale and Isabella, but all the goodwill I had for Tre went out the window when he joined the bitter bettys in not even congratulating Antonia for winning. What's with all the men becoming such bitter jerks when the women win? They did it to Carla and now Antonia.

Also, count me as another one who can't stand Bourdain. I actually despise him, with his trying to be funny and witty, but to me, he completely fails at that and it makes him look like a dweeb. Add to it that he's an arrogant hack, a tool and a complete jerk, and yeah, hate his guts. I could definitely do without ever seeing him again in TC, especially not when we get good judges like Eric Ripert and also some good guest judges. I loved Lorraine as a guest judge in this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4181715;
    I'm honestly surprised that Richard Blah won the Quickfire over Carla's beautiful plate, because to me Blah's dish looked like gravel with some herbs on top, it was just horrid. Then again, most of those dishes looked yuck to me.

And I'm even more surprised at Tre getting eliminated, when it seemed to me like all 3 dishes were bad, but I would've expected both Dale and Isabella to be eliminated, their dishes just looked worse to me. It didn't help that I liked Tre and despise both Dale and Isabella, but all the goodwill I had for Tre went out the window when he joined the bitter bettys in not even congratulating Antonia for winning. What's with all the men becoming such bitter jerks when the women win? They did it to Carla and now Antonia.

Also, count me as another one who can't stand Bourdain. I actually despise him, with his trying to be funny and witty, but to me, he completely fails at that and it makes him look like a dweeb. Add to it that he's an arrogant hack, a tool and a complete jerk, and yeah, hate his guts. I could definitely do without ever seeing him again in TC, especially not when we get good judges like Eric Ripert and also some good guest judges. I loved Lorraine as a guest judge in this episode.
    I read Tom's blog and it seemed that hand's down Tre's dish was the worse one of the night. What saved Mike Isabellea was that his meat sauce was good. I forget what saved Dale.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Oddly enough when I was in the supermarket over the weekend I saw some Raos pasta sauce. I don't know if it's always been there or if I just happened to notice it because of this episode. I thought it would be fun to try it....until I saw the price.$8.32 for one jar!

I will miss Tre. That is all. *Sniff sniff*

I agree that Dale should have been the one. Bad pasta seems like a greater problem than sticky risotto. But that's why I am a viewer and not a judge.

It could have been because Dale and Mike knew their pasta was cooked incorrectly, while Tre actually thought that he prepared the risotto perfectly.

I would have been OK with any of the three going.

FORT Fogey

After I watched the episode a second time, I realized that Tre had said that he knew the way he made risotto wasn't traditional, but he wanted to put his own spin on it (or words to that effect). This just wasn't the right challenge in which to be creative--they were clearly looking for traditional, family-style Italian or Italian-American food. Tre either didn't understand that or miscalculated and thought they would appreciate that he had done something he considered an original twist on an old favorite.

I did think Dale might go home, because they seemed to think his food was bland as well as involving poorly cooked pasta. Mike Isabella screwed up the pasta too, but the said that if he hadn't messed up the pasta, he wouldn't have been in the bottom three, so they obviously did like his sauce. Out of the three of them, he's the one who had at least a component the judges thought was acceptable. I wasn't terribly surprised that he didn't get eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady;4180227;
    Then I disagree with Tom because the challenge, according to Bravo's web site says "the chefs prepare a traditional three-course Italian meal in one of New York's most famous and exclusive restaurants, Rao's."
    The problem is you never know who wrote what was on Bravo's web site. What ultimately matters is what was told to the chefs during the challenge. In an interview with Spike where someone asked him a lot of behind the scenes details he said one thing that most people don't know is that for every challenge they film the intro where Padma or someone else tells them about the challenge, then all filming stops. Every contestant then receives a form stating the rules and expectations of the challenge and is required to sign it before filming starts again. Of course we will never see it, but from interpretting Tom's blog it sounds like the contract probably said something like make a meal "in the spirit of the Raso family dinner" which could be interpretted multiple ways.

Its a local blog but see the following link for the interview with Spike.
    Link

Bourdian is arrogant and a jerk. Glad that I ain't the only one. As a lot of people like him a lot. As wished that Ted Allen was back. As he was such a sweetie and the show's comic relief. But he is on the Food Network unfortunately.

Lorraine is great and hope that they have her back for more shows!
    Autumn Winds!

So, looks like all chefs from seasons 1, 2, 3 are done. Three of the four chefs from TC4 remain; two of the three for TC5; one of two from TC6; and both from TC7. It's funny it worked out that way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast