+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4140787;
    I really dislike challenges where the chef has to trust someone else to cook their food. It's a competition, if the judges think it's bad to even let someone else cut things up for the banana parfait then how can they ask chefs to let someone else take complete control of their dishes?
    I think they are doing those challenges intentionally since this is All-Stars. It shows that even though these chefs are great, and could have won, winning Top Chef requires both cooking skill and strategy. People figure out how to work the game, and advance that way. Jamie is a master of that.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV;4140798;
    I think they are doing those challenges intentionally since this is All-Stars. It shows that even though these chefs are great, and could have won, winning Top Chef requires both cooking skill and strategy. People figure out how to work the game, and advance that way. Jamie is a master of that.
    It's the only explanation for Scallop/Soup Jamie and Gnocchi Fabio still being there. They certainly don't have the range of skills of the other All-Stars.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

I thoroughly despised this challenge and the way it was approached, what an absolute disaster. I did feel some chefs, or at the very least Dale, took the approach of doing stuff just for themselves because they knew, and screw everyone else. I'm sorry, I just really despise Dale, he comes across as arrogant, off-putting and trash-talky. Plus he thinks he's a big black man, way he talks and acts. Why must he always tilt his head to the side when he speaks? Ugh, so annoying! I'm rather glad Marcel is annoying me next week, he's a tool too, but much more tolerable. And he was right about the little snip we saw about Dale taking time off, just cleaning his shoe. The kitchen is sinking, if you got time to shine your damn shoe, take time to make yourself useful!

The Quickfire was quite fun, though, even with the yuck factor of Mike winning. And cause someone has to mention it, Mike's gotten quite fan, hasn't he? Anyway, the Quickfire was quite fun, it was great seeing Tom cook and even mess up a bit, and it was clear that both he and the cheftestants and Padma were having fun there. I also really liked how last week Carla was so zen and took it easy going into the pantry and this week she was the first to bolt before Tom even said "go". Also very smart of Marcel to avoid the stampede in the pantry by going for ingredients in Tom's basket, that was pretty slick.

I dont understand some of these contestants--they have actually been on the show and yet still make individual sacrifices and forget at the end of the day ALL that matters is that you get a good dish to the judges.

So..heres how things should transpire:
    -People are leaving the restaurant! Make your food faster (translation: so your food is not perfect and could get to the judges that way). Correct response: "say what?" "I dont give a "beep" who leaves, its not my restaurant and its freaking FREE."
    -We need someone to run the service/expedite (translation: you probably cant cook YOUR dish and could go home). Correct response: say what?
    -Its time for restaurant wars...the team needs one person for FOH (translation: front of house, which means you wont be cooking YOUR food). Correct response: say what?
    -We need to select one team leader for this challenge to take charge (and possibly go home for our mistakes)! Correct response: say what?

And, to finish, all of these exclamations of dismay and confusion should be followed with a prompt "No." At the end of the day this is a competition for $200,000.00 and putting yourself at a disadvantage while others enjoy the fruits of your sacrifice is just not worth the goodwill...and, its not your individual fault if an entire service doesnt work perfectly because the producers schemed up an elaborate, completely impossible dinner scenario (seriously, 200 people seated at once with minimum prep time, no sous chefs, no waiters, etc...). Oh, and save me the song and dance about how the best should not be afraid to step up--in this show they have proven that you dont have to present the worst dish to end up going home (due to earlier immunity, the team you are on, etc... Heck, people who dont even compete can get by for crap sake).

of course, at the end of the day the producers know it will cause drama so they create these silly challenges and watch the crazy unfold...and people who are just overly nice (ie Carla) often make the sacrifices that allow more devious (and cunning) players to skate by. I cant stand it when people like Jaime benefit...BUT, to be fair, when have we seen other contestants like Blaise take a huge risk for the team...?
    Last edited by mindy384; 01-07-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4140916;
    I thoroughly despised this challenge and the way it was approached, what an absolute disaster. I did feel some chefs, or at the very least Dale, took the approach of doing stuff just for themselves because they knew, and screw everyone else. I'm sorry, I just really despise Dale, he comes across as arrogant, off-putting and trash-talky. Plus he thinks he's a big black man, way he talks and acts. Why must he always tilt his head to the side when he speaks? Ugh, so annoying! I'm rather glad Marcel is annoying me next week, he's a tool too, but much more tolerable. And he was right about the little snip we saw about Dale taking time off, just cleaning his shoe. The kitchen is sinking, if you got time to shine your damn shoe, take time to make yourself useful!

The Quickfire was quite fun, though, even with the yuck factor of Mike winning. And cause someone has to mention it, Mike's gotten quite fan, hasn't he? Anyway, the Quickfire was quite fun, it was great seeing Tom cook and even mess up a bit, and it was clear that both he and the cheftestants and Padma were having fun there. I also really liked how last week Carla was so zen and took it easy going into the pantry and this week she was the first to bolt before Tom even said "go". Also very smart of Marcel to avoid the stampede in the pantry by going for ingredients in Tom's basket, that was pretty slick.
    I think we're sharing a brain. Or you're reading my thoughts. Spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4140090;
    I also thought it was unfair that Dale got nothing for winning the elimination challenge when other people have won trips to Italy and New Zealand (though Dale won the New Zealand trip, so at least he has that). They should either have prizes of approximately the same value for all the elimination challenges or not have them at all. It seems silly that Mike got immunity and a car for the quickfire and Dale got nothing for the elimination.
    I was thinking the same thing. The QF winner gets immunity AND a new car? And didn't someone get $20,000 for winning the QF last episode? If I remember correctly on past seasons the big prizes were given for the winner of the EC. Immunity should be the only prize for the QF, that's a big enough incentive I would think. Mike got a $21,000 + prize for 8 min 37 sec worth of work and nothing for the EC winner. Wow! That's seems waaaaay out of balance. I don't care that Dale got nada because I don't like him but if Carla or Antonia had won, I'd be pissed.

One thing about this episode that was nice, for me anyway, is that the foreshadowing wasn't as obvious as it has been on past episodes.

I think Tom should have been more forceful when he had to go into the kitchen to light a fire under their rear-ends. He was somewhat passive. I would have liked to see him go off on them like in a real kitchen.

Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4140203;
    To the man who muttered caucasian dim sum in disgust, well yes it was. Try cooking Italian food sir. It seems silly for diners, to become irritated knowing they are on a TV show.
    I've got a thick skin and I'm by no means Politically Correct but I didn't care for that man's comment. Substitute any other race term in his comment and the PC Nazi's would have had a field day.

And where was Angelo to offer his help? He's such a great chef and all and since he knows best why didn't he step up to get things moving or jump on Casey's dish when he knew Antonia had enough to do. Because all he wants to do is help, right?
    Last edited by rfromp; 01-07-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4141064;
    I was thinking the same thing. The QF winner gets immunity AND a new car? And didn't someone get $20,000 for winning the QF last episode? If I remember correctly on past seasons the big prizes were given for the winner of the EC. Immunity should be the only prize for the QF, that's a big enough incentive I would think. Mike got a $21,000 + prize for 8 min 37 sec worth of work and nothing for the EC winner. Wow! That's seems waaaaay out of balance. I don't care that Dale got nada because I don't like him but if Carla or Antonia had won, I'd be pissed.

One thing about this episode that was nice, for me anyway, is that the foreshadowing wasn't as obvious as it has been on past episodes.

I think Tom should have been more forceful when he had to go into the kitchen to light a fire under their rear-ends. He was somewhat passive. I would have liked to see him go off on them like in a real kitchen.
    Ever since the Vegas season (I think), they now have the "High Stakes Quickfire" where they give out obscene amounts of money and prizes for winning. I guess the only thing you get for winning the EC is that your butt doesn't get booted off the show!

FORT Fogey

Two things I am not sure of, why did Fabio not say I will do the cart as I have the charisma to charm the diners, but Angelo or Dale need to be the one to cook my dish so I have an advantage for taking the disadvantage.

As far as not cooking the dish goes, all chefs, expecially the big names, rely on people to cook their dishes. Do you think Chef Ramsay is in all his restaurants cooking all the food? It was bad on Antonia, but also on Casey for not instructing more properly. I also agree that these people are not playing team very well, and it makes them look horrible.

Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4141065;
    I've got a thick skin and I'm by no means Politically Correct but I didn't care for that man's comment. Substitute any other race term in his comment and the PC Nazi's would have had a field day.
    As a native Cantonese speaker, I can say what the man said had very little ill intent, both in the delivery, and in the word choice. Linguistically, the Cantonese tend to use "gwai lo" (which essentially means "Westerner", though literally meaning "ghost people", which is likely due to skin tone) as an adjective describing a lot of things created by Western culture, although its connotation is a bit more vulgar than "sai", which also means "Western". Though the show translates it to "Caucasian dim sum", a more accurate translation is "dim sum made by Westerners", which, if you think about it, is fairly accurate.

Essentially, it's likely less a racist remark, as I took it more as a remark regarding the fact that the dim sum was nothing like traditional dim sum, and, if you know anything about the experience of going to a Chinese restaurant for dim sum, it's very traditional in the sense that, you always know what dishes you can get, so creativity isn't exactly smiled upon in the dim sum experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;4141187;
    Two things I am not sure of, why did Fabio not say I will do the cart as I have the charisma to charm the diners, but Angelo or Dale need to be the one to cook my dish so I have an advantage for taking the disadvantage.
    Considering that most of the diners were likely native Cantonese speakers, many who likely don't speak English at all, I doubt Fabio's "charm" would have done him any good. He made the right choice by staying in the kitchen.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant;4140916;
    I thoroughly despised this challenge and the way it was approached, what an absolute disaster. ...The Quickfire was quite fun, though, even with the yuck factor of Mike winning. And cause someone has to mention it, Mike's gotten quite fat, hasn't he? ....
    I'm sure we all noticed. The Washington Post (my local paper) had a feature on local chefs who'd gained and lost weight, including Mike.

I liked the feature, so I will link to it for others to read, including how Mike's now lost all that weight.

http/www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2011/01/04/ST2011010403292.html?sid=ST201 1010403292

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast