+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 1/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

One of the things I don't understand is why front of the house ended up being Carla and Casey. Since Fabio's dish was basically done and ready for service, didn't require particularly difficult plating, and he's done well in a front of house position before, why didn't they send him up front? For that matter, given that he wasn't overly confident with Chinese food but knew he'd done a decent job at front of house before (unless I'm confusing him with someone else), it's odd that he didn't volunteer.

Mike Isabella expediting made sense, since he had immunity, but he didn't so much expedite as stand around yelling. Since he had the least to lose, why didn't he take charge more? If he'd screwed up, it wouldn't have hurt him, and if he'd done a good job, it would have helped him and the team--and gotten food out to hungry people, which is kind of the point in restaurant work. Tiffany F. tried to take charge, but it was too late, and no one was paying any attention.

I also thought it was unfair that Dale got nothing for winning the elimination challenge when other people have won trips to Italy and New Zealand (though Dale won the New Zealand trip, so at least he has that). They should either have prizes of approximately the same value for all the elimination challenges or not have them at all. It seems silly that Mike got immunity and a car for the quickfire and Dale got nothing for the elimination.

I also just have to mention that Fabio's comments about his pet turtle had me in stitches. I won't be able to eat any more turtle soup at Commander's Palace after seeing him walk his little princess turtle on a leash. He's hilarious.

FORT Fogey

This episode was just off:

Dale T. gave the impression that he would be familiar enough with that kind of setting to inform all involved about the need for volume and speed and tricks for making it all happen.

Mile I. seemed to take the lead prior to kitchen time but then lost it. Why?

Antonia was scolded for the beans because they tasted as if they'd been left out for "3 hours" but she had zero to do with cooking them.

And most importantly, Casey getting booted when she didn't even cook her own dish was about as unfair as Jamie staying last week when the judges didn't even taste her food.

I'm kind of bothered by these kinds of things.

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Chinese food of all things. It is not a cuisine that chefs tend to know, play around with or incorporate into their repetoire. It stands alone and hard to integrate. You never see a restaurant boasting Chinese French fusion! It remains in my junk food catagory and I usually swear off of it forever after having satisfied my yearly craving. I do like Dim Sum, but outside of a sophistocated city it is impossible to find, unfortuately.

To the man who muttered caucasian dim sum in disgust, well yes it was. Try cooking Italian food sir. It seems silly for diners, to become irritated knowing they are on a TV show.

It is getting to be pretty funny to see the chefs hoping for Jaime to go home each challenge. She could skid by for weeks! Anyone of them can clutch and make the worst dish on any given day. This is adding an element of suspense that I like!

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4140139;
    I also just have to mention that Fabio's comments about his pet turtle had me in stitches. I won't be able to eat any more turtle soup at Commander's Palace after seeing him walk his little princess turtle on a leash. He's hilarious.
    The episode was worth watching just to see Fabio say "It's Top Chef, not Top Scallop" again. I laugh out loud every time. Jamie, a matter of time gal for sure, needs to go home. But the judges are quite strict about sending you home for individual performance, not overall (lack of) merit.

Top Scallop. Still laughing. Jamie's made some good soups, and that's about it.

I knew they'd find a way to use Fabio's quote again. Leave it to Jaime to give him the opportunity.

Clearly the judges deem inedible food as an unforgivable sin, thus anyone whose dish is slapped with that label is destined to go home.

Let's hope that next week's double elimination will finally get rid of Jaime.

Why is Jaime still here? She made 2 bad dishes vs Cassie's one bad dish and Antonia's one bad and one good. It made sense to send Jaime packing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Casey gave a thoughtful exit interview at the Bravo site: Top Chef Season 8 - Not Gunning for the Win - Video - Bravo TV Official Site
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4140139;

That little snippet was hilarious.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4140681;
    Why is Jaime still here? She made 2 bad dishes vs Cassie's one bad dish and Antonia's one bad and one good. It made sense to send Jaime packing.
    and that doesn't even take into account that while Jamie actually cooked her two bad dishes Cassey didn't even get the chance to cook hers.

I really dislike challenges where the chef has to trust someone else to cook their food. It's a competition, if the judges think it's bad to even let someone else cut things up for the banana parfait then how can they ask chefs to let someone else take complete control of their dishes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast