+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4137086;
    Actually, Spike did suggest they "burn off" a bad dish in the first round, assuming it would be going up a very good dish, leaving them to save a better dish to go up later. That's why they initially wanted Jamie to go first. But she wouldn't and nobody wanted to insist that she would, so Casey took one for the team and went first. I wasn't particularly a Spike fan either, and I didn't see him making it to the finale anyway, but he did suggest such a strategy. He just wasn't gutsy enough to go through with it.
    Yes, I remember the indecision about this but I meant ultimately they chose the same plan.

I wonder if the judges would have judged Jamie more harshly had she been a man? Hiding and using an injury as an out, when she obviously doesn't have a problem with pain given all her tatoos, seems very whimpy to me.

I also, wonder if the judges would have reacted differently if Jen had been a man. In Bourdin's blog he took her to task harshly and yet not Fabio who in standing up for himself threatened to beat up Bourdin, had he not been a judge. I find it annoying when women use sexism as an excuse or to avoid criticism, but Jen might have a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4139668;
    I wonder if the judges would have judged Jamie more harshly had she been a man? Hiding and using an injury as an out, when she obviously doesn't have a problem with pain given all her tatoos, seems very whimpy to me.

I also, wonder if the judges would have reacted differently if Jen had been a man. In Bourdin's blog he took her to task harshly and yet not Fabio who in standing up for himself threatened to beat up Bourdin, had he not been a judge. I find it annoying when women use sexism as an excuse or to avoid criticism, but Jen might have a case.
    I do think there are examples of sexism in this show, but mainly in the way people react to contestants (and I'm including myself here). I do find that it's true, as Tom pointed out at the end of Season 1 of Top Chef, that many viewers find it easier to stomach bossiness and arrogance in a male chef than a female chef. I know that I've been turned off by some of the brassier female chefs of the series (Tiffani during S1 - love her now, Lisa of S4, Jen of S6), but these characteristics have failed to annoy me in, say, Michael V., Dale T., or Kenny of S7.

Regarding Jen and Fabio, though I thought their situations were completely different. Fabio did not argue belligerently that there was nothing wrong with his dish; he simply requested that rather than just mocking his dish and laughing at it, that Bourdain phrase his criticism in a constructive manner. Jen was rude, insulting, and apparently oblivious. She made the other contestants really uncomfortable in a way that Fabio did not. But all things considered, I believe Tom and Gail that she got eliminated for her food, not her attitude; their blogs on bravotv.com sound convincing to me.

FORT Fogey

Yep. I find it fascinating that men dominate on this show - in a skill that has typically been defined as a woman's role (i.e. cooking). Equally interesting is the number of male fashion designers. They typically dominate on shows like Project Runway and The Fashion Show.

I have my thoughts about why, but I'd be skewered if I said them out loud. Regardless, the older I get, the more I believe that we still live in a man's world - for a variety of reasons AND despite how accomplished women have become. I don't see it changing.
    Last edited by Jexter; 01-12-2011 at 02:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678