+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #61
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,804

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I don't particularly care for Blaise but it was great to see him calmly call Jaime out at the end, for not participating and basically hiding from this challenge (and the last one, basically). She couldn't even seem to rouse enough spirit to argue with him. She definitely seems to have checked out, and her attitude stinks. I liked the challenge, but I agree that the rest of the team should have shouted her name out as the first participant, which would have forced her to either put up a plate or REFUSE, which would have made her forfeit the point but at least put her on the losing side. It was ridiculous that she could literally hide under the table. I think the judges are well aware of what she's doing, and I think that despite their assertion that it's all about the food that is presented every time, it will sour them to her next dish, whatever it might be and whenever she might actually give them something to taste!

    WTG Carla for not only winning, but also for soldiering through that cut on her hand to do it. Jaime's face was priceless.

    I kind of didn't mind Marcel before, but now he can Shut. It. Also, I didn't see Angelo as sabotaging in any way shape or form. He is just so involved, and wants to have a hand in anything. He's like the energizer bunny on Red Bull. If you don't want his help, tell him NO firmly. He wasn't out to get his own teammate, that's ridiculous. We all know he wants to win, why would he deliberately try to lose a point?

    I'm rooting for Carla and Angelo at this point. Either could win and I'd be thrilled.

  2. #62
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I understand what Tom meant with this challenge.

    Each team had the same strategy. They determined which dishes were the best and ran them first. Neither team thought about putting the worst up so they would be eliminated in case the team failed. So the better dishes did win.

    Jamie is doomed because she lost her confidence and the respect and affection of her peers. This is a losing combination. AND Spike did have the worst dish of those that were judged. I like Spike but I he was not a contender for the win, in my eyes. Only one is going to make it and all of these people are skilled. Their fate always lies in the hands of one solitary dish.

  3. #63
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4136602;
    I understand what Tom meant with this challenge.

    Each team had the same strategy. They determined which dishes were the best and ran them first. Neither team thought about putting the worst up so they would be eliminated in case the team failed. So the better dishes did win.

    Jamie is doomed because she lost her confidence and the respect and affection of her peers. This is a losing combination. AND Spike did have the worst dish of those that were judged. I like Spike but I he was not a contender for the win, in my eyes. Only one is going to make it and all of these people are skilled. Their fate always lies in the hands of one solitary dish.
    Actually, Spike did suggest they "burn off" a bad dish in the first round, assuming it would be going up a very good dish, leaving them to save a better dish to go up later. That's why they initially wanted Jamie to go first. But she wouldn't and nobody wanted to insist that she would, so Casey took one for the team and went first. I wasn't particularly a Spike fan either, and I didn't see him making it to the finale anyway, but he did suggest such a strategy. He just wasn't gutsy enough to go through with it.

  4. #64
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Actually, that's not quite right either. Jamie said she didn't want to go, and everyone just stared at her as in "we don't care" and then Casey I guess got too uncomfortable and said she'd go. Casey was the one who wasn't gutsy enough to go through with it. Casey messed up the plan. Yet again.

  5. #65
    FORT Fogey TripleGemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lynn, MA
    Posts
    1,947

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    He wasn't out to get his own teammate, that's ridiculous. We all know he wants to win, why would he deliberately try to lose a point?
    Only the losers from the losing team went before the judges. Angelo won his point, so anyone he "helped" who ended up losing could very well go home. If his team won, it wouldn't matter...and if his team lost (which it did), then it could be said that he helped those chefs lose. (I'm not saying that he did or didn't do this, just why he might have done it.)

  6. #66
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,704

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4137118;
    Actually, that's not quite right either. Jamie said she didn't want to go, and everyone just stared at her as in "we don't care" and then Casey I guess got too uncomfortable and said she'd go. Casey was the one who wasn't gutsy enough to go through with it. Casey messed up the plan. Yet again.

    I guess I interpreted that "stare" differently. I thought it looked as if no one wanted to force her to go through with going first. Certainly no one said, "You're going first. Get up there." If someone had, he/she would likely have found backup from the rest, and Jamie would have had no choice.

  7. #67
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,804

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4137124;
    Only the losers from the losing team went before the judges. Angelo won his point, so anyone he "helped" who ended up losing could very well go home. If his team won, it wouldn't matter...and if his team lost (which it did), then it could be said that he helped those chefs lose. (I'm not saying that he did or didn't do this, just why he might have done it.)
    I understand the reasoning, but I just can't see Angelo, in the heat of the competition, devising a plan to tank someone from his own team. He seems so focused on winning, that to deliberately help your team to possibly lose the match doesn't make much sense in light of the way he competes. Besides, there are some real competitors on the other side, particularly Blaise, that if Angelo's team won there's a chance a stronger competitor than Spike would have gone home. I think they shouldn't have had Tre put his dish up at all, at least until he had to, given that he had immunity. Jaime showed poor planning skills (her beans weren't close to ready to eat) and she showed a complete cowardice hiding behind the table when the time came for someone to go up. Blech.

  8. #68
    *it's crazy* rfromp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    199

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4137134;
    I understand the reasoning, but I just can't see Angelo, in the heat of the competition, devising a plan to tank someone from his own team.
    I think he devised his plan long ago and looks for the opportunity to "help" someones dish when the situation allows. He had already won his head to head so he wouldn't be up for elimination. Perfect time to strike. While he might have thought Spike wasn't his biggest competition overall, he had to "help" who he thought was his biggest competition on his team, which was Spike. I may be wrong but I think he's dirty. It might be a friendly competition to the rest of the contesteants but to him I believe he wants to win at all costs, to include sabatoge.

  9. #69
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,804

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    I think the edit wants us to see Angelo that way, as sneaky and devious. But then I see him interacting with others in the stew room, and I see him first over to hug people (he rushed over to hug Carla for her win), and it makes me think he's being edited a certain way to tell a story. He does take the competition seriously, but then again I don't see many of the others viewing this as nothing more than a 'friendly competition' it's for a lot of $$ and prizes, so I don't think that he is the only one who is focused on winning. For me, it is more like Angelo can't help himself but wants to fuss and fix up everyone's dish if they are on a team. Maybe he takes the whole team thing too seriously, like he feels the need to put his own touch on each dish because he feels a sense of ownership for all of them. I really don't view it as malicious, but that's just me.

    Besides, Spike should have spoken up. He allowed Angelo and Tiffany to add to his dish I think because he knew they are both strong chefs, and perhaps thought they could elevate it somehow. It backfired, but it was his dish to begin with and there's no use crying foul after the fact when you're willing to take the help beforehand. I wonder if he would have credited them if his dish was well-received by the judges?

  10. #70
    FORT Fanatic texasgal26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    760

    Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4137348;
    I think the edit wants us to see Angelo that way, as sneaky and devious. But then I see him interacting with others in the stew room, and I see him first over to hug people (he rushed over to hug Carla for her win), and it makes me think he's being edited a certain way to tell a story. He does take the competition seriously, but then again I don't see many of the others viewing this as nothing more than a 'friendly competition' it's for a lot of $$ and prizes, so I don't think that he is the only one who is focused on winning. For me, it is more like Angelo can't help himself but wants to fuss and fix up everyone's dish if they are on a team. Maybe he takes the whole team thing too seriously, like he feels the need to put his own touch on each dish because he feels a sense of ownership for all of them. I really don't view it as malicious, but that's just me.

    Besides, Spike should have spoken up. He allowed Angelo and Tiffany to add to his dish I think because he knew they are both strong chefs, and perhaps thought they could elevate it somehow. It backfired, but it was his dish to begin with and there's no use crying foul after the fact when you're willing to take the help beforehand. I wonder if he would have credited them if his dish was well-received by the judges?
    I totally agree. Angelo has struck me since day one of his season as someone who really loves what he does and constantly tries to be a stronger chef. Throughout his season I saw him tasting people's food after it was judged and complimenting it, and as you pointed out, congratulating and/or consoling people. Yes he is competitive, sometimes to the point of sounding arrogant or annoying. But I don't even think he would feel a need to sabotage anyone - he's clearly one of the strongest chefs there. I'll be really surprised if he doesn't end up in the top.

    Also, while Angelo was safe after he won his "face-off," he's someone who likes to come in first place. You can always see his look of disappointment when he makes it to the top and doesn't win. I don't think he would have been threatened by Spike's or Tre's dishes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.