+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 12/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

This is what Tom said in his blog in reference to Jamie.

"I also kind of like the strategizing that comes of knowing that the game could actually go as it did and that the chef of a poorer dish that never gets served might be spared elimination. It raises the stakes for everyone, and I’m all for a challenge that asks the absolute best of the chefs."

He contadicts himself here. If the challenge asks for the absolute best of the chefs and a poor dish isn't served, that only means a better chef is eliminated. Don't get Tom's logic there.

If strategy is more important that the food then this competition is more like Survivor and not Top Chef and it loses some of it's credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4133528;
    This is what Tom said in his blog in reference to Jamie.

"I also kind of like the strategizing that comes of knowing that the game could actually go as it did and that the chef of a poorer dish that never gets served might be spared elimination. It raises the stakes for everyone, and Iím all for a challenge that asks the absolute best of the chefs."

He contadicts himself here. If the challenge asks for the absolute best of the chefs and a poor dish isn't served, that only means a better chef is eliminated. Don't get Tom's logic there.

If strategy is more important that the food then this competition is more like Survivor and not Top Chef and it loses some of it's credibility.
    Upon reading the excerpt I said "What the beep, Tom?" If it is all about asking the absolute best of the chefs then they should start with asking them to submit a dish for judging.

FORT Fogey

The strategy excuse doesn't work for me either. If they wanted this particular challenge to be based on strategy, they could still have insisted that everyone be required to submit a dish for judging. They could also have asked for a list of the teams' competitors in order at the beginning of the competition, instead of just asking them to call out who they were sending up. One team always shouted out their competitor first, giving the other team an additional shot at changing their strategy to adjust to that information. They really should have had each team alternate calling out its competitor for that round if they were going that route.

FORT Fan

I have to agree with most of you...this just stinks when an undeserving candidate (Jamie) advances due to some "made up" rules of the show

I have never ever liked it when a show uses these sort of "tricky" deals...like when they send 2 frontrunners on a date on a dating show and ONE must be eliminated on the spot...or when they force cast members on "competition" shows to work with weaker players ..such as Project Runway, and other shows like this

it becomes annoying and I feel the producers do it just to create a buzz and a stir and get people worked up.

It gets us worked up but it really isn't interesting or enjoyable. I am sorry to see Top Chef set up such a sneaky trick
    I also am not impressed by Tom's "spin spin spin"

FORT Fogey

I typically don't like team challenges anyway, because it often allows someone to slide by who shouldn't, just because he/she was lucky enough to be on the winning team, but this one was especially poorly thought out.

I hope in the next challenge, which appears to be a team type one again, given the previews, that everyone has to fulfill a specific job in the restaurant and that each person is judged on the job he/she does. Period. No one gets to sneak by and no one gets to ride the chef coattails of someone else. If they want to give the quickfire winner immunity, fine. That's been true in the early rounds since day one. But no other easy outs.

Now that I think of it, given that it's Top Chef All-Stars, I kind of wish they gave the quickfire winner a prize of some kind as opposed to immunity. If they're all-stars, they shouldn't need immunity to get by, and if the prizes were good enough, then even if the winner of the quickfire got eliminated, he/she would go home with something decent as a consolation prize. Not that I want her to at all, but I suspect if Carla were sent home at this point, she'd be gracious enough to say, "Well, I didn't win this time either, but I plan on having a very good time in Italy." And yeah, I know she got that prize for winning a challenge, not a quickfire, but if they had nice prizes instead of immunity for quickfires, the quickfire winner would still feel rewarded without being automatically safe.

I can't imagine Jamie going much farther. She hasn't cooked or presented a dish twice now. I also thought it was unfair to Mike I who could have been up for the win and a trip to Italy. I like and respect Tom but his answer is hogwash here. All dishes should have been tasted on both sides. Poorly designed challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4133528;
    "I also kind of like the strategizing that comes of knowing that the game could actually go as it did and that the chef of a poorer dish that never gets served might be spared elimination. It raises the stakes for everyone, and Iím all for a challenge that asks the absolute best of the chefs."

I think he meant that while he likes straight-out cooking competition, he also enjoys seeing how chefs will deal with a twist that presents a possibility like the one that occurred with Jamie (i.e., do you ensure that the poorest dishes on your team go out first so that the rightful people end up in the bottom, or do you ensure the strongest dishes on your team go out first because you're confident you'll end up winning?). By asking "the absolute best of the chefs" I think he just meant that ideally, you wouldn't have to make such a choice - all chefs would put out the best work, and doing what's best for the team wouldn't equate to letting the weakest slide by. That was how I interpreted it, anyway.

I'm ready for Jamie to go now, too. Not because I don't think she's a talented chef, but because she hasn't cooked now for two competitions. Her attitude also bothers me. I liked it better when Stefan was around to flirt with her.

FORT Fogey

I don't think she's a good chef. I think she's a good cook in that she makes a few things very well, but she has no desire to expand her knowledge or branch out, she loathes to work with others, she thinks she's already the best... she has no desire to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;4133916;
    I think he meant that while he likes straight-out cooking competition, he also enjoys seeing how chefs will deal with a twist that presents a possibility like the one that occurred with Jamie (i.e., do you ensure that the poorest dishes on your team go out first so that the rightful people end up in the bottom, or do you ensure the strongest dishes on your team go out first because you're confident you'll end up winning?). By asking "the absolute best of the chefs" I think he just meant that ideally, you wouldn't have to make such a choice - all chefs would put out the best work, and doing what's best for the team wouldn't equate to letting the weakest slide by. That was how I interpreted it, anyway.

I'm ready for Jamie to go now, too. Not because I don't think she's a talented chef, but because she hasn't cooked now for two competitions. Her attitude also bothers me. I liked it better when Stefan was around to flirt with her.
    I can see Tom's rationale to a point but like someone else had said they couldn't very well drag Jamie out by the arm with her dish. However if hers was the poorest dish then that means the strongest dishes went out and they lost anyway. It's the way the elimination went down is what bothers me. Normally the chef with the weakest dish out of all of the contestants gets eliminated and seemingly that's not what happened this episode. Oh well, it's not a perfect world.

Why is it every time Jaime opens her mouth I dislike her more and more?

She has a horrible negative attitude.She is not a team player. She didn't help promote Tiffany's quickfire challenge in the museum she left Jen and then didn't present at the tennis match. She has basically done nothing for two challenges even though she was on the losing side both times. Please, someone call her out.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast