+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 12/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

All-Stars 12/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Double elimination tonight!

Please keep all discussion in here until 2AM ET / 11PM PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 12/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Gee, no comments at all before the show's over?

I'm not at all surprised that Stephen made an early exit. By his own admission, he's not that interested in actually cooking anymore. Kind of makes one wonder why he wanted to do the show, unless it was for the publicity and the possible cash. As for Dale, I liked him well enough, but French toast, popcorn, peanuts, and veal. Eww.

The other Dale's winning dish did sound interesting, and I think he was smart to stay in his own zone while paying homage to Wylie Dufrene.

I didn't particularly like the challenge, because I think it put some chefs at a real disadvantage while giving others an unfair leg up. I think it would have been more of a challenge if they'd made sure that everyone was out of their comfort zone. And I did think it was kind of funny that Marcel was so sure he was going to impress Wylie, and he didn't.

FORT Fan

Interesting episode.. Loved the quickfire...they put a twist on the old mise-en-place relay. Broke into 4 teams of 4, and they had to simultaneously clean a ton of artichokes, bucher several racks of lamb, and peel and dice a ridiculous amount of garlic. The first team that finished ran over and hit a button, which started a 15 minute clock and teams had to cook a dish that used all of the ingredients they just prepared. But here's the catch, once that clock started, the other three teams had to both finish their prep work AND cook within that 15 minutes. the last team only had something like 8 minutes to do their dish they were so far behind. It did make me laugh when Dale brought up the first time Casey did this challenge and she took forever to dice those onions....that was exactly what I was thinking, don't let this girl ANYWHERE near something that must be diced.

Tilden, I agree with you that the challenge did give an unfair advantage to some contestants, which was my problem with the first EC this season as well. the four teams each went to four different top NYC restaurants to taste their food, and they had to create a dish that would fit on that restaurant's menu. The four restaurants were WD-50, one with a French-Asian theme, a coastal Italian, and one that was initially described as new American I believe, but also had a lot of whimsy in the dishes.

Like was said, some chefs really lucked out-Angelo of course got the Asian place and Marcel got WD-50, while Fabio got Asian and Tiffani got WD-50. Then again, Asian Dale (I totally forget both of their last names, shame on me) was at WD-50 and didn't really use molecular gastronomy and he won the whole thing. He (and Carla in the same group) seemed to realize that it was more important to cook tasty food than recreate the actual techniques from that restaurant.

I did get a good laugh at Marcel making fun of Tiffani for 'using molecular gastronomy for the sake of using it instead of using it to enchance the flavors of the dish' because I felt like that was exactly what HE did on S2, as opposed to Blais or Michael Voltaggio who both knew when it was appropriate and when just plain ol cooking was the better choice. That little moment pretty much sums up why I hate Marcel so much-and I watched the S2 marathon today and my opinion of him is just the same as it's always been. I don't seem him as the bullied victim, the underdog, etc that I've heard other people say of him. Was that hair shaving thing awful and totally wrong? yes....but the way Marcel is, I didn't even feel bad for him. he's the type of arrogant, overbearing, know it all jerk who purposely pushes other people's buttons until they can't take it anymore and then tries to act like he did nothing. No one on his season except Elia liked him and even she was fed up with him by the end. When one or two people don't like you, it can be brushed off as personality differences-when NO ONE likes you, there's something wrong with youu, and Marcel just can't own up to that. And he didn't even cook 'his' style of food well tonight! Both Dale AND Carla were better than him.

I was surprised to see the other Dale at the judges table and sad to see him leave....I would have thought from the judges comment at the restaurant that they thought Jamie's dish was worse. Tiffani was an obvious to be there as she was the worst in her group...and I'll admit, I was glad she stayed because she's really seemed to improve her personality since her season. I guess she realized just how abrasive she came off and didn't like that. Definitely a softer Tiffani. Fabio is one of my most favorite contestants ever, so I'm really happy he's still here. Having to cook Asian, he clearly knew he was out of his depth and where he went wrong, and accepted the judges criticism. Then again....Bourdain was VERY careful to give him contructive criticism this time around, it made me giggle a little bit! I was sad to see Stephen go too, I find him endearing in a clueless sort of way. I don't think he's necessarily lost interest in cooking or his talent (he won a lot of challenges his season and did well in the all star specials he appeared on) but he definitely hasn't spent much time on the line lately and he must have forgotten how quickly time goes by during a challenge. I think he was having trouble going from imagining a dish to executing it in those short time limits.

One last thing....I'm glad both Dale and Stephen left with class. I understand Jen was upset last week, but she was just out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4127666;
    Gee, no comments at all before the show's over?

I'm not at all surprised that Stephen made an early exit. By his own admission, he's not that interested in actually cooking anymore. Kind of makes one wonder why he wanted to do the show, unless it was for the publicity and the possible cash. As for Dale, I liked him well enough, but French toast, popcorn, peanuts, and veal. Eww.

The other Dale's winning dish did sound interesting, and I think he was smart to stay in his own zone while paying homage to Wylie Dufrene.

I didn't particularly like the challenge, because I think it put some chefs at a real disadvantage while giving others an unfair leg up. I think it would have been more of a challenge if they'd made sure that everyone was out of their comfort zone. And I did think it was kind of funny that Marcel was so sure he was going to impress Wylie, and he didn't.
    I agree with you. Although it was an interesting challenge the chefs were not on an equal footing and I think they need to try harder to make sure that a challenge does not overly disadvantage some cooks. Of course challenges are sometimes more in one persons area than some others, but not to the extent I felt it was here.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Now see I loved this challenge! I felt that it wasn’t something that everyone could just coast by and cook something. Did some people have an advantage? Yes, however only one person really made the most of that but he too I felt was under just as much pressure as the others given that he was trying to impress someone he greatly admired in a style of cooking he felt that he excelled at.

Tiffany was annoyed by everything Angelo was saying and by how much he was talking at the dinner.. but maybe if she would have listened to him she could have produced a dish that wasn’t something you could find in pretty much any establishment in NYC.

Angelo wasn’t the only one that had an advantage.. or felt he did, in fact, I got the impression that more felt they DID have an advantage.. only a few really expressed that they felt at a loss. One of them won it... another, Carla, was in the middle but received a nice reviews and even though noted that this is not in her comfort zone she did give them some good food that was technically great.

Dale felt that he had an advantage.. but got lost in the concept. Pity he went home.. he’s a good Chef but again, lost in the concept. I was not sorry to see Stephen go, he was like a fish out of water with the rest of the chefs. Glad Fabio managed to stay.. he really did understand what he did wrong, admitted his folly and took all critiques with grace.. unlike Jen last week.. I think that earned him the chance to try again next week. As much as I do adore his personality I think he’s out of his league with the rest of them.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I was sad to see Dale go, I liked him. Not surprised Stephen went too, he even admitted he wasn't cooking that much anymore. I was surprised Tiffany got to stay, her dish seemed the worst. Maybe they didn't want to vote off another woman?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4127893;
    I was sad to see Dale go, I liked him. Not surprised Stephen went too, he even admitted he wasn't cooking that much anymore. I was surprised Tiffany got to stay, her dish seemed the worst. Maybe they didn't want to vote off another woman?

I think Dale just tried too hard and picked the wrong meat to go with what was basically a very sweet French toast. Maybe something that was more breakfast-like that could have off-set the sweetness would have worked, but veal? The whole idea of it kind of made me cringe. But then, so did the white chocolate on Angelo's dish, and they raved about that. That's one thing that's a little frustrating about Top Chef. So much of the final product depends on things viewers can't really adequately judge, like taste, smell, texture etc. On a show like Project Runway, where the final product is primarily visual, it's a little easier to figure out whether you'd like something or not.

I wonder if part of what saved Tiffani and hurt Dale was also the fact that the type of food Dale got should have been more in his wheelhouse, where people like Tiffani and Fabio were much more out of their element. But really, I think it was just the combination of ingredients that Dale put together. I believe they said Tiffani's dish was a decent concept,but that she just didn't pull it off well, which she admitted. Dale's wasn't even much of a concept. Too bad, because I think he's capable of much more than that and just got over-involved in trying to be "food with jazz hands" (loved that description, by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4127907;
    I wonder if part of what saved Tiffani and hurt Dale was also the fact that the type of food Dale got should have been more in his wheelhouse, where people like Tiffani and Fabio were much more out of their element. But really, I think it was just the combination of ingredients that Dale put together. I believe they said Tiffani's dish was a decent concept,but that she just didn't pull it off well, which she admitted. Dale's wasn't even much of a concept. Too bad, because I think he's capable of much more than that and just got over-involved in trying to be "food with jazz hands" (loved that description, by the way).
    That's kind of what I thought, too. From the edit, they made it seem as though Marcel, Angelo, Stephen, and blond Dale were the most fortunate in their restaurant match-ups and expected to win. Fabio and Carla seemed like too of the most unfortunate (though Carla did win the QF when Wiley judged, right?). I was happy that Fabio and Tiffani stayed, though I really don't think Fabio can go much further in this competition as much as I like him. Tiffani, on the other hand, I would like and expect to see go far.

Dale's problem was that he had no concept - french toast, and crackerjacks, and veal. Was he serving breakfast, snack, or dinner? There was no purpose to his combination of components.

Dale's problem was that he had no concept - french toast, and crackerjacks, and veal. Was he serving breakfast, snack, or dinner? There was no purpose to his combination of components.
    And unlike Angelo, who used white chocolate to enhance his dish, Dale had fairly large pieces of sweet French toast sitting under the veal. There were so many things Dale could have done to make that dish better...I'm bummed that he's leaving, but I figured it was him for the 2nd slot from the discussions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast