+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 12/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 12/15 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Can I just say how much I'm enjoying this season? And especially this week's episode, even though Dale had to go.

I don't think it was an unfair challenge to any of the chefs. If Fabio still only knows Italian cuisine, yet still wants to compete on Top Chef, it's his problem. They all drew knives to see where they would be cooking, so it was a random draw. And it was a treat to see all these master chefs in their own restaurants. I may live in NYC but I don't have the time or money to actually get on the waiting lists for these places.

I've been watching the episode, the Watch What Happens Live that came after (Tom and Amy Sedaris were a hoot), and the web extras several times. I'm glad this is going to be a nice long season.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

know what you mean MF.... I think this is my favorite show now. This an RHWBH.

That little moment pretty much sums up why I hate Marcel so much-and I watched the S2 marathon today and my opinion of him is just the same as it's always been. I don't seem him as the bullied victim, the underdog, etc that I've heard other people say of him.
    To me, Wolverine Jr. is a punk, and the fact that other people misbehaved towards him doesn't magically change that. Think of it as a variation of "two wrongs don't make a right"--"ANOTHER wrong doesn't invalidate a first wrong". And yet reality show editors typically insist it does, and viewers eat it up and come to love "rehabilitated" contestants.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

the way Marcel is, I didn't even feel bad for him. he's the type of arrogant, overbearing, know it all jerk who purposely pushes other people's buttons until they can't take it anymore and then tries to act like he did nothing
    Versus Angelo... who I think more often UNINTENTIONALLY pushes buttons, but comes off as just as intolerably arrogant (well, except for when he does the button pushing intentionally, which we know from his own mouth in talking head segments he occasionally does).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

For some reason, Angelo's arrogance doesn't bother me that much. I guess because he's not a loud braggart, at least in my view, and he often seems to be his own worst critic, expecting more from himself than anyone else does. When he achieves what he desired, he feels proud of himself and content. I guess that comes across as arrogance, but it isn't in-your-face like some other contestants have been.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4128652;
    Versus Angelo... who I think more often UNINTENTIONALLY pushes buttons, but comes off as just as intolerably arrogant (well, except for when he does the button pushing intentionally, which we know from his own mouth in talking head segments he occasionally does).
    Exactly. For instance when Angelo was talking about the dishes in the resaurant his group pulled and Tiffany was getting annoyed by him. I kinda understand, it can get irritating when someone chatters nonstop, but if she had stopped to think about it, he was breaking each dish down component by component. I so wanted to be there to shake her and go "You moron! He's basically giving you a seminar on how to make a dish that would fit on that restaurant's menu. Shut up and listen to him!" Mike and Fabio were certainly listening very intently even if Fabio couldn't turn that into a good dish. I think Angelo just genuinely enjoys food, talking about food, learning about food. If it comes off as arrogant or (the thing that most puzzled me about last season because I don't recall any actual evidence of this beyond one contestant who got eliminated after she asked for and utilized advice from Angelo) him trying to sabotage others....well, I don't know if that's actually his fault.

Compare that to Marcel, whose very first action on his season was to pull out his knives and ask to compare them to Ilan's. And while people just seemed kinda annoyed by Angelo and wanted to beat him because he was winning so many challenges, everyone on S2 completely LOATHED Marcel. Like I said, if one or two people don't get along with him it's just that some people are never going to be friends. That no one liked him tells me that it was his fault all along. I still remember when Sam- who seems to be one of the most likeable, easy going guys to ever have appeared on this show- had finally had enough and just started screaming at Marcel in a store and everyone else was standing around agreeing with Sam.

It's a pity, because like I pointed out, contestants like Tiffani from S1 clearly watched their season, regretted a lot of their actions, and worked to fix their behavior. Before this season started I was hoping she'd be one of the first to go. By this episode, I was praying she'd get to stay because i find her so much more likeable now and she's much more thoughtful in how she behaves toward others.

After the judges comments I felt for sure Casey was going to be the winner with her "Scallibut" dish but she didn't even make the top 4, which surprised me. Her dish totally fit the theme of the restaurant she ate at.

I think if Fabio wasn't so well-liked by viewers he may have gone home by now, but Bravo knows that he is a favorite and I think they will keep him around a little longer. I was sad to see Dale go though- not such a dynamic personality, but seemed to be just an all around nice guy.

Some thoughts...

I never saw Marcel's or Tiffani's seasons, so I have no prior opinion of either. Hopefully I can keep an open mind.

Still love Carla.

Does the other Dale EVER smile? Who is peeing in his Cheerios everyday?

I think Angelo thinks he would have won his season if he hadn't been sick. I don't find him as arrogant as some, but I do think he thinks he has it in the bag.

Could Jamie look any more bored when they are introducing the challenges. I liked her during her season, but not so much so far this time around.

Spike still makes me laugh....as does Fabio.

Tiffany2, Antonia, Casey, and Trey are kind of meh so far.

Still don't care for Mike I, but he isn't AS grating (yet...)

I was not sad to see Jen go last week.

Richard Blais for the win! Love him...

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;4127689;
    One last thing....I'm glad both Dale and Stephen left with class. I understand Jen was upset last week, but she was just out of control.
    I was extremely impressed with both Stephen and Dale during their exits, hopefully Jen was taking notes on how to be a gracious "loser" and leave with class and dignity.
    Stephen gave his comp. props on being the best (very classy) and recognized that this is not his gig anymore...instead of making a bunch of excuses or blaming the judges. Dale also admitted that his dish was sub-par and made a joke to lighten the mood (Top Chef: Seniors ). Very, very classy guys..they will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4128344;
    Can I just say how much I'm enjoying this season? And especially this week's episode, even though Dale had to go.

I don't think it was an unfair challenge to any of the chefs. If Fabio still only knows Italian cuisine, yet still wants to compete on Top Chef, it's his problem. They all drew knives to see where they would be cooking, so it was a random draw. And it was a treat to see all these master chefs in their own restaurants. I may live in NYC but I don't have the time or money to actually get on the waiting lists for these places.
    I absolutely adore Fabio plus I'm 100% Italian so of course, I'm on his side. But Fabio needs to realize that to be a Top Chef, you can't just know how to cook one type of food. Enough complaining about what's Italian and what's not. He should be on Top Italian Chef instead.
    I could watch him smash garlic all day but I can't defend his excuses anymore.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;4128746;
    Exactly. For instance when Angelo was talking about the dishes in the resaurant his group pulled and Tiffany was getting annoyed by him. I kinda understand, it can get irritating when someone chatters nonstop, but if she had stopped to think about it, he was breaking each dish down component by component. I so wanted to be there to shake her and go "You moron! He's basically giving you a seminar on how to make a dish that would fit on that restaurant's menu. Shut up and listen to him!" Mike and Fabio were certainly listening very intently even if Fabio couldn't turn that into a good dish. I think Angelo just genuinely enjoys food, talking about food, learning about food. If it comes off as arrogant or (the thing that most puzzled me about last season because I don't recall any actual evidence of this beyond one contestant who got eliminated after she asked for and utilized advice from Angelo) him trying to sabotage others....well, I don't know if that's actually his fault.

Compare that to Marcel, whose very first action on his season was to pull out his knives and ask to compare them to Ilan's. And while people just seemed kinda annoyed by Angelo and wanted to beat him because he was winning so many challenges, everyone on S2 completely LOATHED Marcel. Like I said, if one or two people don't get along with him it's just that some people are never going to be friends. That no one liked him tells me that it was his fault all along. I still remember when Sam- who seems to be one of the most likeable, easy going guys to ever have appeared on this show- had finally had enough and just started screaming at Marcel in a store and everyone else was standing around agreeing with Sam.

It's a pity, because like I pointed out, contestants like Tiffani from S1 clearly watched their season, regretted a lot of their actions, and worked to fix their behavior. Before this season started I was hoping she'd be one of the first to go. By this episode, I was praying she'd get to stay because i find her so much more likeable now and she's much more thoughtful in how she behaves toward others.

I didn't really understand Tiffany's attitude myself. If she didn't like Angelo monopolizing the conversation, she could have joined in and moved the topic away from his analyzing the food--though really, as you've said, given it's Angelo's style of cuisine and he knows a ton about it, I might have shut up and tried to take advantage of his willingness to give away some free help to his competitors in his enthusiasm over the food. Instead, she just sat there and glowered. She hasn't seemed very happy to be on the show this time around, which, for all I know, has something to do with things other than the show itself. But I think if I'd been sitting at the table, I'd have felt more uncomfortable with her stony silence than Angelo's chatter. I mean, it's not like he was talking while people were trying to sleep or meditate. People usually do talk while dining. Heck, she could have made a light-hearted joke about Angelo loving the food so much he just can't stop talking about it and then drawn the other guys into the conversation more if it was bothering her so much. Just sitting there glaring wasn't going to change the situation.

I think you're right about Tiffani too. Perhaps she regrets how abrasive she came off in the first season. I noticed Angelo tried to tone down the arrogance as his season went on too. He wasn't always successful, but I think he realized how he was coming off and at least tried to change. It also helps that he is willing to admit when his food isn't as good as it could have been. Some of the chefs just never get the difference between defending their dishes and taking constructive criticism when, for whatever reason, the food hasn't turned out that well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast