+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 12/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: All-Stars 12/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

On a completely different subject....did anyone else wonder why Marcel got so upset about the plums being cut up smaller than he anticipated for the parfait? I get that he wouldn't want Angelo upsetting his preparations, but weren't they all working on it together? And doesn't it make sense for the fruit to be cut up smaller in a parfait, particularly one being served to children, who tend to prefer smaller bites? I just couldn't see having large pieces of plum to deal with in a parfait anyway. Maybe Angelo should have asked the other two if they thought it was a good idea, but Carla seemed to have no issue with it. I just didn't understand why Marcel seemed to think of it as "his" preparation, when they were all working on it together.

I could understand Marcel worrying about Angelo trying to undermine him if they were working on separate dishes or even obviously separate components of the same dish, but c'mon...it's a parfait. It's all mixed up together anyway. What was he going to take credit for? The size of the plums? Did he think it affected the appearance of the dish that much?

FORT Newbie

Marcel's stated reason is that he didn't want Angelo touching his mise en place. Even if they were on the same team, it seemed that Angelo, David and Marcel were all keenly aware during the challenge that they would each have to defend their component of the dish and were conducting themselves accordingly.

On a personal level, Angelo arbitrarily handling the plums figuratively cuts the legs off Marcel, with Angelo basically going over Marcel's head even when it's supposed to be "Marcel's." If it had turned out badly, ultimately Marcel would have been responsible, with Tom blaming him for being unable to assert himself in the kitchen.

Basically a pissing contest and on a personal level the two don't like each other. In an interview earlier this month, Angelo called out Marcel as the one guy he didn't like on the show. Really there were probably snarky comments all around by contestants about each other's cooking but the producers showed that exchange so they can start building a Marcel/Angelo storyline they can take all the way to the end of the show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bloop;4123522;
    Marcel's stated reason is that he didn't want Angelo touching his mise en place. Even if they were on the same team, it seemed that Angelo, David and Marcel were all keenly aware during the challenge that they would each have to defend their component of the dish and were conducting themselves accordingly.

On a personal level, Angelo arbitrarily handling the plums figuratively cuts the legs off Marcel, with Angelo basically going over Marcel's head even when it's supposed to be "Marcel's." If it had turned out badly, ultimately Marcel would have been responsible, with Tom blaming him for being unable to assert himself in the kitchen.

Basically a pissing contest and on a personal level the two don't like each other. In an interview earlier this month, Angelo called out Marcel as the one guy he didn't like on the show. Really there were probably snarky comments all around by contestants about each other's cooking but the producers showed that exchange so they can start building a Marcel/Angelo storyline they can take all the way to the end of the show.
    I understand the mise en place issue if it had been something major, but I thought he seemed overly concerned about the size of plum pieces that were going to be mixed up with other fruit anyway, and honestly, as I said, I think Angelo was probably right that smaller pieces of fruit better for a kids' parfait (or anybody's parfait), because who wants a big hunk of fruit they have to figure out how to deal with in the middle of a parfait? I think Carla's a pretty reasonable person, and she thought it was okay (according to Marcel). I do think Angelo should have discussed it with everyone first, since it was a group project, but I also thought Marcel seemed to take it a bit more seriously than he needed to, as it wasn't like Angelo over-salted his sauce or dropped an ingredient from the recipe. Of course, while I'm not a huge Angelo fan, I do think he tried to reel in his more abrasive qualities as his season went on, while Marcel seems every bit as snippy as he ever was, which may be why I'm having a hard time seeing why it was such a big deal to Marcel. Marcel just annoys me, period, and he always has.

Maybe Marcel is compensating for something? I too think that the plums should have been cut to a smaller size, so that the fruit pieces were homogeneous in size, because the last thing I want to eat in a parfait is a huge chunk of fruit, particularly if everything else is roughly the same size.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Marcel is still a trouble maker (as we saw at that Top Chef dinner). I wouldn't put it past him that he saw the heat Angelo got last season for sabotaging other contestants and is trying to bring that rumor back to life. The guy is a little snot.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

This is a plucky group!

I predicted a Tiffani (S1), Richard Blais, and Antonio F3. I think Marcel might wiggle his way in there somehow. Love or hate him, he's a damn good chef. I LOVE Dale (the nice one; wish he weren't gay so I could pine after him more) and hope he makes it far. But, I don't think he'll make it. He seems a bit unnerved.

I agree, Marcel's comments about Angelo seemed to resurrect the sabotage theme that ran for a good part of last season. Angelo, from what I remember, tried to offer his reason (after the fact) for cutting the plums up smaller, and I think the reason was a good one, but Marcel, like many chefs, is really touchy about other people messing with his cooking. If it were another challenge, I could see his point, but they were all working on that dish together and so I think it was valid for Angelo to tweak it if he thought it would make it better. Guess they have to call a group meeting in the future if that happens again.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

I thought it was funny when Jen started laughing when she was told to pack her knives. I don't think she should have been eliminated either. Antonia & Tiffany served raw egg frittatas and Tre knew his sauce tasted bad, did nothing about it and served it anyway. Jen's might not have been the best tasting dish but being bland is not as serious as raw egg or over-saltiness in my opinion.

What was with the guys hair? Did anyone notice how all their hair was practically standing straight up? Maybe they're compensating for their short stature.

I think most of the guys were suffering from bed-head after sleeping in the museum.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4124626;
    I think most of the guys were suffering from bed-head after sleeping in the museum.
    Did they even get enough sleep to end up with bedhead? I thought they were running around the museum with flashlights while the women got some sleep. I distinctly remember one of the women pointing out that they were barely going to get any sleep at all, so she didn't think it was smart to what time they did have to rest running around the museum.

Speaking of which, did anyone else wish Andrew could have been there for this challenge? He liked the wedding challenge where they got no sleep, and I bet he would have had some priceless comments as he ran around the museum with the guys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast