+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 12/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 12/8 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Jen just turned into some kind of monster at Judges Table -- no matter how much anybody else screwed up their dishes, she basically mouthed off to the point where she dared them to send her home. And they did. Sometimes it just works that way.

I don't fault Jamie for leaving to get her thumb stitched up. It's one thing to break your finger and splint it really quick like Fabio. It's another if you slice it in half and you can't stop the bleeding. You have to get real medical attention. Jen's problem after her dish partner left was that she never got a handle on the direction of her dish again. So it sort of makes sense that she went home, especially after she was so defiant in her denial that anything was wrong with it. That's what got Elia sent home last week. Oh well...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Casey even said her dish tasted like wet bacon, though I doubt she actually told Jen she found anything wrong with it. Not that I believe that Jen would have listened, as it seems she has become very cocky and has bought into all of the praise heaped upon her. I'm sure she's a great chef, but even a great chef has to be able to take the fact that sometimes what they did just did not work.

Was that a mini meltdown she had after she said her goodbyes? I'm starting to think this show is not good for people a second time around. They are here doing what they do for a living and being handed their butt for it in front of a national audience. Sure, some of them had pretty impressive careers before the show, but the show gives them huge exposure. To do well twice on this show is just a giant self promotion commercial for them. It may explain why Fabio lost it and now Jen. It may also explain why some chefs would decline a chance at a second appearance. There is just too much on the line for them.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4123123;
    Casey even said her dish tasted like wet bacon, though I doubt she actually told Jen she found anything wrong with it. Not that I believe that Jen would have listened, as it seems she has become very cocky and has bought into all of the praise heaped upon her. I'm sure she's a great chef, but even a great chef has to be able to take the fact that sometimes what they did just did not work.

Was that a mini meltdown she had after she said her goodbyes? I'm starting to think this show is not good for people a second time around. They are here doing what they do for a living and being handed their butt for it in front of a national audience. Sure, some of them had pretty impressive careers before the show, but the show gives them huge exposure. To do well twice on this show is just a giant self promotion commercial for them. It may explain why Fabio lost it and now Jen. It may also explain why some chefs would decline a chance at a second appearance. There is just too much on the line for them.

It sounded like a mini-meltdown to me, and the remaining chefs looked shocked. I also wonder if the way that challenge was run had something to do with it: they were cooking for kids (which a lot of them don't like doing--and really, it is harder to think about what's going to work for a child's palate, because some haven't been exposed to a lot of different tastes and they tend to prefer what's familiar to them, period); they didn't even know who had immunity until much later and had to help someone earn it; the team Jen was on miscalculated what they thought they'd have for ingredients; and they were working on very little sleep and what sleep they got was in a museum on a cot. Oh, and Jen lost her partner in the challenge early on. The combination of all that might have helped put Jen in an even worse mood. The way she went off on the judges--which, in my opinion, was much worse than what Fabio did, as he only voiced a gripe with the way Bourdain spoke about his food, not that he didn't like it--could have been just a hugely bad mood. However, it did seem to me that she almost wanted to go home at that point or at least didn't care if she did. Even Tiffani F. was shocked by what she said, and Tiffani F. isn't one to hold back herself.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4123115;
    Jen just turned into some kind of monster at Judges Table -- no matter how much anybody else screwed up their dishes, she basically mouthed off to the point where she dared them to send her home. And they did. Sometimes it just works that way.

I don't fault Jamie for leaving to get her thumb stitched up. It's one thing to break your finger and splint it really quick like Fabio. It's another if you slice it in half and you can't stop the bleeding. You have to get real medical attention. Jen's problem after her dish partner left was that she never got a handle on the direction of her dish again. So it sort of makes sense that she went home, especially after she was so defiant in her denial that anything was wrong with it. That's what got Elia sent home last week. Oh well...
    I don't fault her for getting her thumb stitched up--I'd just as soon they didn't bleed into the food--but it seemed like it took her forever to get back from having that done. That might have been the editing, but she was gone for almost the entire cooking time, and didn't they get up at something like four o'clock? I suppose the E.R. could have taken that long, but still....She also didn't seem that concerned when she got back that she'd done almost nothing and continued to do almost nothing for the team, because it was already done. I don't know if that makes it more or less fair for her to be blamed, but they almost should have a rule in place for what happens when a chef suddenly cannot compete due to injury or illness.

The way I saw it may also have to do with the fact that her attitude is bothering me this time through. She seems a lot more condescending about the way others cook and she almost appears irritated by the challenges.

Last night, I wished Andrew had been there, just because I wanted to hear his comments about running through the museum at night with flashlights--and you know he would have been on that little expedition.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4123228;
    I don't fault her for getting her thumb stitched up--I'd just as soon they didn't bleed into the food--but it seemed like it took her forever to get back from having that done. That might have been the editing, but she was gone for almost the entire cooking time, and didn't they get up at something like four o'clock? I suppose the E.R. could have taken that long, but still....She also didn't seem that concerned when she got back that she'd done almost nothing and continued to do almost nothing for the team, because it was already done. I don't know if that makes it more or less fair for her to be blamed, but they almost should have a rule in place for what happens when a chef suddenly cannot compete due to injury or illness.
    Given the area that they were in, there is 4 or more hospitals with in 4 miles or less and the fact that they were cooking for a bit before she cut herself.. i would say that the time taken wasn't that bad. I would give her an hour at the hospital, and she was back before service started.. which was what 7-730?

I do agree there should be a rule or somethign in place for this situation.. it was a crappy task, granted, and maybe cutting yourself rather than going home was the lesser of the evils she faced. I for one can not wait for her to be gone. She is far too full of her self and her "i rock" attitude is going to get old.. fast.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4123123;
    Was that a mini meltdown she had after she said her goodbyes?
    That was the weirdest editing ever. The camera was on the other chefs, then I heard someone crying/yelling with most of the words bleeped out, then the next shot was Jen calmly packing up her knives. I assume she's the only one who would be that upset at that moment, but the camera never showed her crying or freaking out like that.

I was shocked they voted Jen out so soon. I wonder if she said more that was edited out to piss off the judges so bad that they gave her the boot.
    And her dish was not the only bad one either. At least her team made breakfast food whereas the other team really didn't.
    I like kids but I don't like these challenges where they have kids as judges. Kids are very picky with food and are easily swayed to vote with their peers or by the champaigning by the chefs. This was not my favorite episode.

Jen went downhill in her season, so I'm not really all that shocked that she's out so early. The attitude was way off base. She basically told the judges her food was perfect and that they were idiots. Not a good strategy at all.

The judges respect it more when the chef's admit their dish did not go as planned.

This season should be renamed Top Chef: Massive Egos

Tiffani's reaction to Jenn mouthing off to the judges was funny. She's not one to hold back, so her look of shock was just indicative of how bad it was. I really like how much Tiffani grew during her season and since. She saw herself on season 1 and didn't like what she saw. She decided to change and she has. Her entire attitude is different now and her growth is great. I liked how she owned up to her snotty attitude in the kids' challenge in her season and how not only did she get into the spirit of it, but acknowledged her bad attitude. It gave her the quckfire win, and she had the best dish on her team as well.

For nostalgic reasons I liked that they brought Katie Lee back as a judge. Stephen and Tiffani both greeted her enthusiastically, which was nice to see. Stephen cracks me up. He's so pompous but I don't think he even means to be all the time.

One thing I wish they would do when it's large teams is tell not only who won, but who had the worst dish on the winning team. Even a 'you're lucky you were on the winning team' would be good!

It's fine for Jenn to stand behind her dish, people have different tastes, but Casey didn't like her dish either. IMO it was good to show not just the judges but someone else saying that too. To think that the dish couldn't be improved upon was odd to me. If a dish is that great you don't normally see that many people saying how awful it was. It's just great and doesn't need defending. Not everyone will like what you've made all the time, but when that many people are saying it wasn't good it just might be time to take a step back and see if it couldn't at least be tweaked a little.

I was surprised to see Jenn go so early. I was even more surprised by her attitude because she even admitted when asked by one of the chefs if she was like this on her season and said she wasn't. And truth is she really wasn't mouthy like this with the judges her season. I don't know why she changed so totally this season. Maybe it was part of her strategy or maybe the stress caused her to come undone. The felt bad she took it so bad because she has always had a ton of pride. And I do think going home on a kiddie challenge always hurts a little more.

I was looking closely at Jamie's finger when she was saying she was going to leave and it looked like a tiny bandage with no blood pouring through. I was surprised she didn't stay and try and do whatever she could to help to get them through and then go. I would have and it seemed most of the other chefs would have as well. That said I knew they wouldn't dump her as she does have the choice to get two stitches if she deems it necessary immediately. I do think ultimately it costs her and she doesn't make it to finale anyway.

Right now I think it will come down to Richard, Angelo, and my female guess is redhead Tiffani going to finale. I also think a man or two could go this week to even things up a bit. I'm liking Tiffani more this season. She seems more mature and very professional. She along with Richard have lost a whole lot of weight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast