+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: All-Stars 12/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All-Stars 12/1 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I was never a big Elia fan, but I agree she seems like a better chef than Stephen. But I think her raw fish sealed it for them. Fabio's sounded like the only one that tasted good. I like Bourdain, but I kind of enjoyed Fabio yelling at him.

Of the three would rather have seen Stephen go. I think they want him for his prissy personality as a foil. Camera Personality wise, Elia was the weakest of the three.

Really like most of the players, wish Jamie had won tonight.

And what the hell, did none of these people watch any season other than their own? This isn't the first time they had chefs eat and comment on their competitors dishes.

Mike I can get off my screen anytime now. Used to think I didn't like Spike, but he pales in comparison of the odiesness that Mike I. is.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Stephen has never impressed me as being that interested in being a chef--a restaurant owner, sure, but not so much a chef-owner. He'd rather manage the house and the wine cellar, and he might do a decent enough job of that. I agree that he was probably kept because of his on-camera personality.

I'm actually glad that they stuck to the rules and disqualified Richard. I like Richard well enough, but he was plating past the time limit and no matter who did that, the penalty should apply. I do kind of wish Jamie had won, but I'm impressed by the fact that Angelo seems to have learned a lot about how to curb his ego since his first show.

Was anyone else kind of surprised by the way the different chefs looked? Richard appears to have lost a bit of weight, while others (like Mike I.) appear to be, well, enjoying their own cooking a bit too much. Oh, and I almost didn't recognize Tiffany Faison with her hair down. I realize she probably puts it up to keep it out of the way in the kitchen, but she should wear her hair down or loosely tied back more often. It's much prettier that way.

I third the motion that Stephen was kept around because of his personality. It was a wrong move on the show's part, because he seems much more reserved compared to his villainous streak back in S1.

Early on, I'm thinking Tiffani will win this. If she had been on any other season, I think she would have won. She and Harold were perhaps the strongest final contenders the show has ever have. Perhaps I'm going a bit too overboard on my compliments towards her, but the girl is good.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I don't think Stephan was kept for his personality. I think this show, above all others, operates with integrity when it comes to judging. Yes, they say Bravo has a vote but Tom C has said repeatedly that they judge the food and don't care what is going on in the kitchen. He has said that he would not have signed on to do this show otherwise and I believe that. There will be plenty of drama in that kitchen with the cast with or without Stephan.

Elia served raw fish; that trumped the others. I do agree that I would have prefered Stephan to go but I understood the decision.

I loved seeing Fabio stand up to Anthony. Bourdain's arrogance is part of his appeal but he did go over the top last night. Fabio's dish could not have been that bad, it was pasta for crying out loud.

How many times do we have to watch a team or individual do three things on a plate and have it fail? Just do one dish! That was the main reason Tiffany lost the crown.

This is going to be a great season. Go Carla!

I think that part of the reason that Elia was sent home was because she didn't really try to change her dish. She said as much and the judges said it too. It sounded like a critisism when they were discussing Stephen's dish that he didn't know what he was trying to fix, but I think that actually helped him in the long run. He never cooked those dishes in the first place to know what to fix. Elia however said she loved her dish and wasn't going to change it too much. On top of that, she served them raw fish and admitted she didn't taste it.

I liked that Fabio stood up to Bourdain. He's right, critiquing, with helpful comments is much better for the chefs than putting them down.

loved that Dale was just making food for the fun of it since he had immunity. Obviously he did a decent enough job to be in the middle, but then had fun making what he wanted to make.

I still don't like Mike I, he just irritates me for some reason.

Too bad Richard went over the time, he at least was in the running for winning. I did appreciate that they brought him out to acknowledge that his was a great dish, but then told him he was disqualified due to over-time. He didn't have to wonder how good his dish was. Too bad he went over too since it didn't look like he was doing anything substantial in those last few seconds. Bet he won't make that mistake again.

I don't think she'll win, but Carla is still one of my favorite people on there to watch. She genuinely felt bad when whoever said they got a bad part of the meat.

FORT Fan

Did it seem to anyone else like Elia was never in it? To not test the fish, to barely change the original dish, to not even notice that the top of the fish was raw? That's crazy....I wonder if she got in there and realized she just didn't want to go through another season, because she's obviously a better chef than that.

Richard took his dq very well I thought. He didn't seem to feel like he was cheated out of a win, and no matter what Dale said, those few extra things he was putting on the plate after time was out might HAVE been the difference in winning or not. His dish was good enough that he was safe anyway, so it was a fair call. As for his weight, there was an article about him in the Atlanta paper yesterday and he mentioned that he just didn't like how he looked on television, so he committed to exercising and getting in shape after his season. he's lost 20-30 pounds since then.

I was really surprised too that none of the chefs even considered that they would be watching the critiques...seems like an obvious, especially if they had watched other seasons.

And speaking of critiques, I was glad Fabio called Bourdain out. Bourdain is clearly incredibly intelligent, well traveled with a great palate and good skills in the kitchen (as well as being a fabulous storyteller-read Kitchen Confidential, it was great) but the quips are better saved for his own show. He makes for great television, but it must be so frustrating as a contestant to hear something like "Are you running a crackhouse" instead of hearing where the dish failed and where it could be improved on. Fabio made his point really well-if you hated the dish, don't just make fun of it, say WHY you hated it so he can learn from his mistakes. That's why the fans hated Toby after all, because he was more interested in thinking up one liners than actually judging the food.

This episode was very interesting for me and I was conflicted about the challenges. In the quickfire, I really didn't like that the teams ranged from 2-4 members. It's debatable if more chefs on a team was beneficial or detrimental, but I'm sure it kinda sucked that there were four chefs with immunity when there might have been only two.

And in the elimination challenge, while it was brilliant in a lot of ways, I don't know if it was as fair to, say Stephen and Jamie, who had to recook dishes that weren't theirs in the first place and that they both hated the first time around. Sure makes a difference compared to someone like Angelo (even though I love him) who basically only had to tweak a dish in his own style that he really enjoyed cooking. Makes you wonder if Jamie might have won if she was cooking something she was passionate about.

As for Jamie, even if her soup was the best part of that quickfire dish, I think she was maybe to blame for their team losing. I felt like she was so against the idea of working with Fabio and Carla that she really pushed them into the decision to make three seperate dishes. The other two were always pretty good at working in teams, and it would have probably been better to have a single, coherent dish.

I didn't watch season 7 but I'm watching the all-star's. So far I like it. I was sad to see Elia go right away. I don't like Marcel but I think he's a good enough chef to be there for awhile. I hope they don't use Bourdain as a guest judge too much, don't like him either. I was glad Fabio stood up for himself against him. According to the previews it looks like this will be a good season.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;4118470;
    I don't think Stephan was kept for his personality. I think this show, above all others, operates with integrity when it comes to judging.
    When it doubt Colicchio seems to go to the old standby what would have happened if this had gone down in MY kitchen?

Elia sent out uncooked fish. It would have unpalatable in a real world restaurant. Stephen sent out a weird pupu platter but note that they used frozen chicken wing in the original challenge. According to Tom's blog Elia's dish was the only one worse than the original losing dish. Elia had to go.

My impression is that Stephan is "carried" on Top Chef primarily because of his palate (which must be impeccable, honestly to be a master sommelier) which mitigates the fact that he is FAIL technically. He probably knows what everything should taste like, he just literally can't physically execute.

As for Blais, yeah it's a cheap way for someone else to win, especially since Blais was probably timing his molecular stuff down to the second for perfect plating and went 5 seconds over. But it's also interesting... winning the first challenge has been a bellweather landmark on the show but it also is telling about Blais... the most talented chef ever on the show but who might never win due to personality/judgment flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;4118578;
    And speaking of critiques, I was glad Fabio called Bourdain out. Bourdain is clearly incredibly intelligent, well traveled with a great palate and good skills in the kitchen (as well as being a fabulous storyteller-read Kitchen Confidential, it was great) but the quips are better saved for his own show. He makes for great television, but it must be so frustrating as a contestant to hear something like "Are you running a crackhouse" instead of hearing where the dish failed and where it could be improved on. Fabio made his point really well-if you hated the dish, don't just make fun of it, say WHY you hated it so he can learn from his mistakes. That's why the fans hated Toby after all, because he was more interested in thinking up one liners than actually judging the food.

As for Jamie, even if her soup was the best part of that quickfire dish, I think she was maybe to blame for their team losing. I felt like she was so against the idea of working with Fabio and Carla that she really pushed them into the decision to make three seperate dishes. The other two were always pretty good at working in teams, and it would have probably been better to have a single, coherent dish.
    I totally agree with both of these comments. Bourdain was being VERY Toby last night, and it really bothered me. I was happy not only that Fabio called him out, but that Bourdain seemed slightly humbled by it. Regarding Jamie, her attitude in the Quickfire kind of bothered me. Yes she is a talented chef, arguably more so than Fabio or Carla (arguably), but she DID get sent home before either of them! I was impressed that she took a dish that wasn't hers, and that she hated, and she did something great with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast