+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #11
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,123

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Boy. I really sort of think the opposite. I'm not a Yigit fan at all. He's sort of bitter and envious and childish.

    Morgan needs lessons in the tact department for sure, but I like him. I am probably 1 of 1, though.

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,772

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Out of all the things they presented tonight, the dessert I most wanted to taste was that strawberry dish of Yigit's--and I'm a confirmed chocoholic. But when they said it tasted like wild strawberries...mmmm. I also really wanted to root for him when Tim ended up as his sous chef, because I liked him and was sad he left so early.

    I never really cared for Heather, but I thought it was nice that she was mature enough to do her job and actually be supportive of Morgan when he was having that meltdown about the souffles. Good for her for burying her feelings about Morgan and doing her job.

    I would like to try Danielle's ice creams too, as they sounded really good--and I was impressed that she found the time to make her own root beer. For someone who seemed so scattered for most of the competition, she actually did a good job. Oh, and I liked her idea for coming up with an inventive cheese course. I agree that four sweet courses in a row might be a bit much. I thought Yigit was smart for going with that cucumber soup dish first too, so that he started lighter and got progressively more intensely dessert like, kind of the way you'd arrange a regular meal from appetizer to dessert.

    Aside from his remarks, Morgan just didn't impress me tonight. I'm sure the multi-layered cake was a really complex dessert to make, but it just didn't sound like something I'd ever want to order. I might have ordered his souffle but once it fell, it really wasn't very attractive. At least he was gracious about Yigit winning, however.

  3. #13
    FORT Fogey Harvest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California Wine Country. Cheers!
    Posts
    1,466

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4108397;
    Boy. I really sort of think the opposite. I'm not a Yigit fan at all. He's sort of bitter and envious and childish.

    Morgan needs lessons in the tact department for sure, but I like him. I am probably 1 of 1, though.
    No, I agree with you - I have been saying this all along, in fact.

    But as soon as they led the show with Morgan saying "fairy," I knew he was not going to win. The guy needs to work on his people skills! I also disliked both of Morgan's sous chefs - he drew the worst ones, personality-wise - but he does not help his cause by not being able to get along with people. In the end, even though Morgan's performance throughout the season was unquestionably the best, in Top Chef you are only as good as your last meal.

    As much as I dislike Yigit, this one time, the time that it really counted, he made the best showing. Without a doubt I would have wanted to eat his dessert progression over any of the others. Maybe the LA girl's desserts tasted great, but Yigit's also looked good (in this challenge, more consistently than Morgan's due to the fallen soufflé), and Yigit's flavors & textures (on each plate as well as in the progression) were something a diner could really "get" with no problem and want to order. Maybe it is a Bay Area thing, but to me his progression simply made the most sense.

    And if Yigit weren't such a yucky person (or if as a diner I had no idea what the chef was like), the "going on a date" thing might have been conceptually appealing, too. Although, having been subjected to his jerkiness throughout the viewing season, hearing him say it throughout the courses was a turn-off.

  4. #14
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C. area
    Posts
    674

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    I'm relieved this series is over. The nasty attitude among the group made it very unpleasant to watch, but I wanted to see who won. By the end, I didn't care EXCEPT I would have been disappointed if Morgan had won. His attitude is just too awful to 'stomach' (pardon the pun). I'm sure he will do well in his career - he is obviously an excellent pastry chef. I wonder if most restaurants have only one pastry chef? Maybe he is not used to dealing with others in his job.

    They all need to take a human relations course!

  5. #15
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    187

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    I thought Yigit was one of the few guys there who was in control and never lost his composure.

    He was never childish, he was never envious, and compared to Morgan or even Seth, he was the second coming of Siddharta Gautema. Heck, compared to Zack he was an old respectful man who had the patience of an angel.

    He seemed focussed throughout the competition and didn't crash and burn on a personal level.

    Morgan on the other hand was crude and rude and snapped at people at the drop of a hat. Abbrassive and even aggressive in how he dealt with the people around him. His first sous-chef wasn't the problem, the problem was that Morgan didn't communicate, he threw out a whole bunch of terms and didn't accept the help he was given. Morgan seemed almost paranoid about everything. Morgan went the way of Seth real fast after Seth left the show.
    This is not a signature.

  6. #16
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,772

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;4108948;
    I thought Yigit was one of the few guys there who was in control and never lost his composure.

    He was never childish, he was never envious, and compared to Morgan or even Seth, he was the second coming of Siddharta Gautema. Heck, compared to Zack he was an old respectful man who had the patience of an angel.

    He seemed focussed throughout the competition and didn't crash and burn on a personal level.

    Morgan on the other hand was crude and rude and snapped at people at the drop of a hat. Abbrassive and even aggressive in how he dealt with the people around him. His first sous-chef wasn't the problem, the problem was that Morgan didn't communicate, he threw out a whole bunch of terms and didn't accept the help he was given. Morgan seemed almost paranoid about everything. Morgan went the way of Seth real fast after Seth left the show.
    Actually, I'd cut Seth a bit more slack than Morgan in terms of his behavior, simply because it appeared that he had some real mental/emotional issues that might have been causing his bizarre behavior. The fact that he was removed from the show after his panic attack makes me think that they realized he simply had bigger problems to deal with than competing on a reality show. Morgan doesn't seem to have those kinds of problems, so he should be better able to control his behavior and language. I didn't care for his comment about the only thing keeping him from lashing out physically against Zac was that it would disqualify him either. No matter how much he was irritated by Zac, Zac was never a physical threat to him, and a grown, mature man should want to avoid fights unless there just isn't any other choice (e.g. he's being physically attacked and is defending himself--or is assisting in the defense of someone else who's being viciously attacked).

  7. #17
    Who is John Galt?
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    983

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Okay I am glad I read this. I have the finale on DVR and won't have to watch it now. Don't particularly like Yigit, nor his desserts.

  8. #18
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,123

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;4108707;
    No, I agree with you - I have been saying this all along, in fact.

    But as soon as they led the show with Morgan saying "fairy," I knew he was not going to win. The guy needs to work on his people skills! I also disliked both of Morgan's sous chefs - he drew the worst ones, personality-wise - but he does not help his cause by not being able to get along with people. In the end, even though Morgan's performance throughout the season was unquestionably the best, in Top Chef you are only as good as your last meal.

    As much as I dislike Yigit, this one time, the time that it really counted, he made the best showing. Without a doubt I would have wanted to eat his dessert progression over any of the others. Maybe the LA girl's desserts tasted great, but Yigit's also looked good (in this challenge, more consistently than Morgan's due to the fallen soufflé), and Yigit's flavors & textures (on each plate as well as in the progression) were something a diner could really "get" with no problem and want to order. Maybe it is a Bay Area thing, but to me his progression simply made the most sense.

    And if Yigit weren't such a yucky person (or if as a diner I had no idea what the chef was like), the "going on a date" thing might have been conceptually appealing, too. Although, having been subjected to his jerkiness throughout the viewing season, hearing him say it throughout the courses was a turn-off.
    Wow. Soul mates. I usually go against the grain...nice to know I'm not alone. As much as I dislike Yigit, I agree. Morgan didn't produce, and Yigit deserved the win.

  9. #19
    dance aggressively Endit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    526

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Yigit deserved it the most as it looked like he had the most clear intentions and execution. He was the most advanced and that is the biggest advantage IMO... there are only so many ways to stand out, so knowledge of different paths to do so is crucial. He also had the story to back it up and this is TV after all!

    But am I the only one who wanted Danielle to win?

    All throughout the season I've never really liked her, as she's been a notorious bottom player (the kind where you think "Why won't you die!?"), but the last couple challenges I've started to like her a lot. She is the most relatable of any of the contestants. Morgan is the kind of person nobody really wants to admit to being like, even if they are two faced or talk/think lots of ****, nobody wants to relate to that character, and Yigit, with his complex, over ambitious mind and almost rollercoaster nerves, those are a combo I don't think would work either. Daniel is neither of them and without pretense IMO. How often has she not gone off the deep end in criticizing others or falling apart? I know I would if I was in her shoes with so many failures. She had a pretty good attitude during the whole thing and tried to have fun with it, but not in a Yigit kinda forced way. Minor annoyance though when they showed her in confessionals... her foundation is a bit off. At least it isn't that embarrassing though considering how widespread it really is.
    Last edited by Endit; 11-19-2010 at 02:01 AM.

  10. #20
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    17,445

    Re: Just Desserts - 11/17 Season Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Andy Cohen announced the Just Desserts Fan Favorite on Watch What Happens tonight -- and it's Yigit!

    He accepted it via Skype in a brief thank-you. So on top of the $100,000 he has $10,000 more.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.