+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just Desserts - 10/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: Just Desserts - 10/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

What is going on with the contestants on this show? They are falling apart like crazy at less than the halfway point. I don't think I have seen a show like this with so many falling apart so quickly. Maybe it's all the sugar......

Maybe pastry chefs work in an environment that's less stressful/ugly than the savory chefs on regular Top Chef, so they're less prepared for the pressure of competition? I have no idea for sure, but the thought crossed my mind...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4078755;
    Is it me, or has reality TV just cultivated a generation of criers? I don't really cry at the drop of a hat like so many people on reality shows do...

Morgan even cried when he won. I mean, maybe I'm just feeling cold and unfeeling today or something...
    Before my parent died I could hold it in. Stiff upper lip all the way. But now I cry at the drop of a hat, a Hallmark commercial, movies etc.... I think it is also life experiences and validation that you are doing well, that you are at the top of your craft, that all that hard work did pay off and people do appreciate or acknowledge that what you did or created is good.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

About the Heathers.... What was up with Heather H and the uncalled for outburst? Seemed a little over the top to me. She seemed to forget that it was a TEAM challenge.

it seems we've 'uncovered" the mystery of the bandage on Heather C's forehead. That's gonna be a nasty scar.

Sorry Malika left. I really thought she was improving in the challenges. On the other hand, I'm impressed with the decision she made.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

In my suspicious mind, I wonder if Seth was actually eliminated BEFORE the ambulance incident, based on his behavior when the challenge was being described, and then "losing it" over paper cups. It would have been real easy to edit it to look like the anxiety attack was the reason he was eliminated, but I wonder if it wasn't:
    • Seth acts VERY strangely in the kitchen when the challenge is being described (remember how everyone was looking at him based on his behavior).
    • Seth "goes off" on a member of the production staff about his paper cups and how unfair it was that they had taken them.
    • Producers decide to eliminate him, based on ongoing demonstrations of his emotional inability to deal with the competition.
    • Judge comes in and tells the other chefs that Seth has been eliminated.
    • In response to being eliminated (and therefore not getting his own way), Seth throws a hissy fit, hyperventilates, and faints.

I really wonder if Seth isn't bi-polar and off his meds. Those kinds of mood swings are just not normal.

And regarding (the non-bandaged) Heather. She announced right at the beginning of the team challenge that she was going to do the showpiece and that the others were not to even think about it. So she does the showpiece and then complains that she didn't have as much time as she needed for her own dessert. Has the whole world gone mad, or just the contestants on this show?
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Glad they got rid of Seth.

Kitchens are full of sharp knives and hot pans. Would not want to share that room with someone who is obviously mentally unstable. The pacing, the inappropriate outbursts, the accusations, etc . . . WOW!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4079003;
    In my suspicious mind, I wonder if Seth was actually eliminated BEFORE the ambulance incident, based on his behavior when the challenge was being described, and then "losing it" over paper cups. It would have been real easy to edit it to look like the anxiety attack was the reason he was eliminated, but I wonder if it wasn't:
    • Seth acts VERY strangely in the kitchen when the challenge is being described (remember how everyone was looking at him based on his behavior).
    • Seth "goes off" on a member of the production staff about his paper cups and how unfair it was that they had taken them.
    • Producers decide to eliminate him, based on ongoing demonstrations of his emotional inability to deal with the competition.
    • Judge comes in and tells the other chefs that Seth has been eliminated.
    • In response to being eliminated (and therefore not getting his own way), Seth throws a hissy fit, hyperventilates, and faints.

I really wonder if Seth isn't bi-polar and off his meds. Those kinds of mood swings are just not normal.

And regarding (the non-bandaged) Heather. She announced right at the beginning of the team challenge that she was going to do the showpiece and that the others were not to even think about it. So she does the showpiece and then complains that she didn't have as much time as she needed for her own dessert. Has the whole world gone mad, or just the contestants on this show?
    I think maybe whiny Malka quit because of the supersized serving of crazy this show is dishing out.

But there was something deja vu about it. Didn't cheftestants quit in seasons 1 & 2?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by Annastasia B;4078944;
    About the Heathers.... What was up with Heather H and the uncalled for outburst? Seemed a little over the top to me. She seemed to forget that it was a TEAM challenge.

it seems we've 'uncovered" the mystery of the bandage on Heather C's forehead. That's gonna be a nasty scar.

Sorry Malika left. I really thought she was improving in the challenges. On the other hand, I'm impressed with the decision she made.
    Did I miss a post? What is the mystery of Heather's scar?

Sooooooooo glad Seth is gone. Omg, after Gail announced the "Quickfire"; Seth was out of control, so unprofessional.

I would like to know what is up with Dessert Chefs, they seem so much more stressed out than Top Chefs ... ???
    KAREN

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;4079010;
    Glad they got rid of Seth.

Kitchens are full of sharp knives and hot pans. Would not want to share that room with someone who is obviously mentally unstable. The pacing, the inappropriate outbursts, the accusations, etc . . . WOW!
    I was amazed that he called the production staff liars! And I don't recall ever seeing any of the staff on camera before this episode? As far as their canning him goes, I bet their lawyers were on the phone screaming at them to get him out of there before he hurt himself or someone else.

I'd pay money to see his audition tape.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

Since many of the cheftestants have remarked on the fact that pastry and desserts require a much greater reliance on exact measurements and that they typically consult recipes frequently to make sure they're getting those measurements right, maybe the nature of the show just doesn't suit making fabulous desserts quite as well. An awful lot of their desserts also seem to be the sort that could fail easily and without warning--look at all the panic about tables shaking during the wedding cake challenge. Perhaps that accounts for some of the extra anxiety we're seeing.

In Seth's case, however, I agree with those who think something seems to be a bit off there. He does have extreme highs and lows, and he behaves very unpredictably. I think it was a good decision on the show's part to get him out of there. As for them checking contestants out ahead of time, if, as someone else suggested, he was undergoing some kind of treatment (medication, therapy or whatever) during casting, he might not have seemed as unstable. If he decided to forego that for the show, then the show might have gotten someone very different than they thought they'd cast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast