+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Desserts - 9/15 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Just Desserts - 9/15 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep discussion in here until 12AM PT.

Enjoy the newest addition to the franchise!
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 09-16-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Just Desserts - 9/15 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

With about 6 other reality shows ending or beginning tonight, I'm not surprised this got lost in the mix.

This should be a good show, mostly because it stays completely within the same structure as its sibling shows. Gail is great switching hats as host as well as judge. Johnny Iuzzini is totally qualified as a judge, and he is easy on the eyes which is good, but hopefully he will get a little more comfortable in front of the camera, and maybe be a little less stiff at judge's table, where he seems to take Tom Colicchio's role.

As for the contestants, Seth is already the villain as well as the frontrunner. I don't like this trend continuing, from Stefan to the Voltaggios to Angelo to Seth. The previews show that things are going to get really ugly between these pastry chefs, which should be jarring to say the least. Zac is a goofball, I'm kind of over his bitchy over-the-top personality. But it was interesting to see him go from bottom of the QF to the Elimination Top 3. I was surprised that Heather won over Seth, but happily so.

I was sad to see Tania go, I wished that the other woman would have to pack her knives. I was looking forward to Tania making very different dishes, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 09-16-2010 at 01:49 AM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Wow, the pastry chefs definitely are a different category all on their own. This is going to be interesting to say the least !

FORT Fogey

I was sad to see Tania go, I wished that the other woman would have to pack her knives. I was looking forward to Tania making very different dishes, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.[/QUOTE]

The moment Tania referred to her mousse as having the texture of hummus, I knew she was done for as that's so far from what the texture of mousse should be. No matter what it tasted like, no one was going to find that acceptable.

I really wanted to try Zac's upscale brownie sundae, but I agree that blowing the glitter, especially in front of the judges, was a bad idea. I can't remember who made it, but the chocolate cake that made that one guest go "Oh my God!" also looked awfully good. I wasn't upset about the win going to the dessert that got it, but personally, I'm not a big fan of orange and chocolate together. However, I'm a huge fan of chocolate in general, so I loved the challenge.

I made desserts before I learned to cook anything else, and I'm always annoyed at how the Top Chef folks are both scared of making desserts and dismissive of pastry chefs, so I'm looking forward to this show. Maybe it will allow the pastry chefs to prove their mettle and give me the chance to drool over terrific looking desserts.

I really enjoyed the show last night! I thought Gail was great as a host and Johnny will be a good head chef/mentor as well.

I think there is going to be a lot more drama among the cast then there typically is on regular Top Chef. Some of the desserts that were made last night looked delicious and I definitely wanted to try some of them. I'm really excited for this change and the season of it. There are quite a few characters that have already come forward that should make the season pretty entertaining.

The contestants are so different, like less serious and more loony. Must be all the sugar.

However, editing team, enough! We get it, they cook differently. I hope it's not a reoccurring theme. I wonder though if the fact that everything is done before it's cooked will limit creativity though. I mean those rules might go against trying new things. Savory chefs and tweak as they go, that's more forgiving.

I already don't like the guy who won the first quickfire challenge though. When he didn't win the elimination challenge, he had this look on his face like "I was supposed to win. I deserve it." that really turned me off.

Morgan's hot but too bad he's kinda cocky too. He thought his was really the best but then ends in the bottom. DOH. Curse of the confident.

This show is going to be challenging to watch. Their expertise is beyond my ken. What is that word that two of them used, sounds like crème-oh? I tried several spellings and could not get it to google.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;4062569;
    This show is going to be challenging to watch. Their expertise is beyond my ken. What is that word that two of them used, sounds like crème-oh? I tried several spellings and could not get it to google.
    Without seeing it yet, I think they are referring to Crème fraiche but it's often shortened to crème. But what do I know? I don't claim to be any kind of chef or cook, I just remember somebody saying Crème fraiche on some show (Iron Chef? Alton Brown maybe) and ever since then I've associated that with crème.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;4062569;
    It could be several different things, and I know only a few of them. Could any of these be what you're asking about?

Crema is the Italian word for cream and is used by chef when referring to some kinds of cream sauces.

Crema is also the foam formed at the top of a cup of espresso.

Creme fraiche is kind of like sour cream, but of a thinner consistency.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think it was crémeux from the French, meaning creamy-textured. The last time I think I heard this word on Top Chef was when Elia made a chocolate crémeux for a Quickfire in Season 2.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 09-16-2010 at 10:59 PM.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast