+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Top Chef 8/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef 8/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4050893;
    I'm trying to think of a bread that would have worked better, that's less fluffy and doughy than hotdog buns. Maybe if he'd done it on a more crusty bread, and scooped it out a bit, like you can do with a bagel?
    I think ciabatta bread might be the answer. It has a crispy crust and a dense crumb which would hold up well with that filling. Maybe??

I think ciabatta bread might be the answer. It has a crispy crust and a dense crumb which would hold up well with that filling. Maybe??
    I was thinking the same thing. He needed a bread with a crusty outside so that it wouldn't get soggy, and it needed to be thinner than the hot dog roll and not as doughy so that it could soak up some of the juices without getting soggy.

At the grocery store, he knew hot dog rolls weren't the best for what he was making. Even hamburg rolls would have been better.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4051099;
    perfect! I was thinking baguette, but that's still pretty thick and doughy on the inside, so he'd have to scoop it.

Supposedly his dish was a little too sweet as well (at least that's what Tom says in his blog). Do you think that the hot dog bun added to that? If he'd used ciabatta bread, isn't that usually flavored? Or he could have easily added some herbs or spices to it to combat the sweetness.

FORT Fan

I love ciabatta but it is really chewy, as in it takes a bit of effort to chew it. I don't know that would work with a pulled or loose meat sandwich, especially at a ballpark. Maybe a gutted Italian roll would work better.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345