+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 8/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fan

Re: Top Chef 8/25 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I tuned in for the first time... and I do not get why people hate Angelo so much.

It seems like everybody on the show is extremely paranoid when Angelo shows up, but I didn't see any reason for them to think so lowly of Angelo. He helped the poor girl out with her tuna, if she didn't know how to stop it from turning a different colour, that's not Angelo's fault... it's her own fault for picking a dish with an ingredient she doesn't know how to work.
    This is not a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;4050050;
    I tuned in for the first time... and I do not get why people hate Angelo so much.

It seems like everybody on the show is extremely paranoid when Angelo shows up, but I didn't see any reason for them to think so lowly of Angelo. He helped the poor girl out with her tuna, if she didn't know how to stop it from turning a different colour, that's not Angelo's fault... it's her own fault for picking a dish with an ingredient she doesn't know how to work.
    No you see, it's only wrong when Angelo doesn't keep helping. There was no one else on that kitchen that could have told her how to keep her tuna from going bad. What!? They were there but chose not to say anything but blame Angelo for not saying anything either. Madness!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dantrb;4049430;
    But wasn't Angelo the only one that decided he would the night before once the rest didn't step up to the plate?

He's free to change his mind too if he sees that his dish is in danger. What would be his excuse at judges' table? that since "I was taking orders I couldn't place my dish right." They would have sent him home right there since it's not who's the best at taking orders.

I guess the rest of them saying nothing to Amanda either was okay
    No. Everyone else wanted to wait and see what the facility would actually be before making any decisions.

The problem with Angelo is that he starts helping, says he's going to do these things, and then stops. Everyone else was counting on him to do what he said he was going to do and handle the orders. If he wanted to say at the beginning of the time "Hey we should rethink this now" fine. Then they would have had sufficient time to really get a backup plan. And they still would have left it go at judges table unless he decided to try to use it to make himself look good, which he did.

None of the rest of them make it their game to act like they're helping people when leaving out key pieces of advice. If you're going to play the game on your own, play the game on your own. If you're going to be helpful, be helpful. Don't be sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;4050050;

A lot of the Angelo hate stems from earlier in the season. He had some very cocky moments early on when his nemesis Kenny was still on the show. Since then his confidence has taken a hit and he's coming off far better-or he's getting a better edit-one or the other.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4050154;
    None of the rest of them make it their game to act like they're helping people when leaving out key pieces of advice. If you're going to play the game on your own, play the game on your own. If you're going to be helpful, be helpful. Don't be sneaky.
    They are just a bunch of hypocrites "I knew how to fix it but I chose to say nothing because it should be Angelo who should continue to help her, not me, even when I know he's a sneakily bastard but I want to be able to say I'm the better person by letting her fail and blame it on him so I can say 'I told you so'" That's very loyal of them, right

FORT Fogey

The show's not about how helping people. It's a competition. Quite frankly, they probably didn't even have a full idea of what Amanda was making, since the rest of them chose to focus on their own dishes, much less think to make sure she put oil on her tuna to keep it from getting gray. It's not about loyalty. If they're in a competition, why should they be loyal to each other? It wasn't even a team challenge.

The show's not about how helping people. It's a competition. Quite frankly, they probably didn't even have a full idea of what Amanda was making, since the rest of them chose to focus on their own dishes, much less think to make sure she put oil on her tuna to keep it from getting gray. It's not about loyalty. If they're in a competition, why should they be loyal to each other? It wasn't even a team challenge.
    Not only that, but when should anyone have mentioned adding the oil? When she first said she was making tuna tartare? After she ran it through the grinder? Before she packed everything up?

Angelo is the only one who could reasonably have told her because he told her how to make it. Everyone else was making their own thing and probably wouldn't have known that she did or didn't add oil until the next day.

FORT Fogey

Exactly. How were they to know she needed help? She shouldn't have made something she didn't know how to make. And if Angelo decided to help her, he should have truly helped her. Just like if he was going to be the one to step up and say he'd do the orders, before even seeing the kitchen or anything, fantastic, but he shouldn't have backed out. And even if he got there and realized he couldn't do it, fine, he could have said "hey we're going to need a different plan" and that would have been fine, smart even. But he can't then take credit for "stepping up" at judges table. It just shows a lack of integrity.

FORT Fan

Hey how do you think Angelo could have salvaged his dish? A different kind of bread?

How about if he had toasted the buns? Maybe they wouldn't have been so soggy. He could have even brushed them with some kind of seasoning and kicked up the flavor a bit too.

FORT Fogey

I think if he'd toasted them it definitely would have helped with the sogginess, but part of it was also that there was just way more bread than filling. So maybe if he'd toasted them and added more in the middle.

I'm trying to think of a bread that would have worked better, that's less fluffy and doughy than hotdog buns. Maybe if he'd done it on a more crusty bread, and scooped it out a bit, like you can do with a bagel?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast