+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Top Chef 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in this thread until 1AM ET / 10PM PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Top Chef 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Had to pause my TV, but the QF is the 4-person team blind relay.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Here's hoping Alex goes home. But he probably won't. :o(

If Blue team is up for elimation, I hope it is the chick who likes to cook with alcohol. She doesn't bug me as much as before, but won't miss her as much as the others.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Alex = douche! WTG, piss off the people there to help you. That won't come back and bite you in the rear end. No, not at all.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Wow, didn't think they would send Kenny home. And has any other team lobbied so hard for a member of the winning team to go home before? They HATE Alex. With a white hot passion.

I was really hoping they would call Alex back in and send him home
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

FORT Fogey

I wasn't able to pay as close attention to the show as I might normally have, but how exactly did the losing team know so much about what happened in the other kitchen? Not that I would have minded Alex going home--I just couldn't figure out how they knew exactly what had happened on his team. Speaking of which, was it against the rules for the rest of the team to step in and try to help each other in whatever way they could? The complaints from the losing team seemed to indicate that they thought Angelo and Tiffany had carried the other team. I'm not sure if that's entirely true or not, but even if it was, would it have been better for Angelo, as team leader, not to do anything about the dishes that were failing? I know if I were a customer, I'd be happy to know people were stepping in to make sure I got the best food possible.

I was truly surprised they were willing to let Kenny go, especially after Gail stood up for him handling his role as team leader so well, although that kind of confused me. If both of his dishes and a couple of others failed, shouldn't that be at least partially due to his not checking on what was going out of the kitchen? As executive chef, shouldn't he be doing that? I thought that, along with both of his dishes not being very good, should have counted against him. I was also surprised that they never mentioned the dessert they did like in the critique at all. But I was really astonished that they didn't use the excuse that Amanda only had to do one thing and screwed it up as an reason to let her go. Speaking of which, even I know that grass fed beef is typically leaner than other beef and cooks more like, say, buffalo. How come she didn't know that?

Because Amanda is a big dork head. I think Gail's comments were used to throw us off Kenny going home. I bet they say something negative and positive about each contestant that the show uses for it's narrative. They talk for hours, sometimes until the sun is coming up. We see seconds of that footage, so the producers can use whatever they want.

Regarding the teams knowing what each other were doing. They were sharing a kitchen. There was a invisible line separating them.

In past Restaurant Wars hasn't Tom paid a visit to the kitchen? Or am I remembering wrong?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;4034200;
    Because Amanda is a big dork head. I think Gail's comments were used to throw us off Kenny going home. I bet they say something negative and positive about each contestant that the show uses for it's narrative. They talk for hours, sometimes until the sun is coming up. We see seconds of that footage, so the producers can use whatever they want.

Regarding the teams knowing what each other were doing. They were sharing a kitchen. There was a invisible line separating them.

In past Restaurant Wars hasn't Tom paid a visit to the kitchen? Or am I remembering wrong?

For a moment, I couldn't think what the comment about Amanda being a dorkhead meant, but it's because she didn't know the difference between how grass fed and regular beef is cooked, right?

I honestly didn't see much of the actual cooking, as I was trying to multi-task, and I had to (and wanted to) pay more attention to the other things I was trying to accomplish. Have they always shared a kitchen so obviously during restaurant wars? I thought they normally had some kind of divider beyond just an invisible line. Heck, considering how much they were doing in their own kitchens, I don't see how they had the time to see what was going on with the other team. I wonder if what ultimately saved Alex is that his own team didn't throw him under the bus, and the judges may have thought the losing team turned on him simply to try and save themselves. Either that or they thought it was smart to hold on to him as the show's villain.

I think you're right about Tom checking in on other restaurant war teams. I don't know if he's always done it, but I think he's done it on at least some occasions.

I think they have been more separated before. Probably bigger kitchens where they could create more space.

Maybe Kenny's dishes suffered because he was spending too much time worrying about the other team.

Alex should have gone home, he not only didn't cook anything, he cost his team precious time. Having to rescale and debone the fish really cost Monica and if she had been sent home, I would have hated him as much as his team mates seem to. I think the judges believed them, but he was on the winning team so he was safe. His team saved his ass.

And I have to wonder if Kenny taking the lead on throwing Alex under the bus wasn't a factor in his going home over Amanda.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast