+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Top Chef 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4036382;
    I agree it was time to kill Kenny off the show But why keep her there. I think she's overly cooked her meat more than once.
    What is such a farce about the show is that if they want you to stay around, they will figure out a way for it to happen. And if they want you to go, they will figure a way to do that too, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4036382;
    I agree it was time to kill Kenny off the show But why keep her there. I think she's overly cooked her meat more than once.
    I think the reason Amanda is still around is because everytime she is in the bottom she is with better cooks who have made bigger mistakes. I really can't see either Amanda or Alex in the finale.

I thought Kevin's outburst and Kenny's pouting in the Stew Room was far worse than Angelo's nervousness in the kitchen. Funny how Kenny's team was so busy judging Angelo's team that they forgot to put out good food.

Wasn't Alex a plain a$$ as front of house especially to the staff. Makes you wonder how he is in the kitchen.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Alex was unbelievable to his staff, and obviously that's a pattern because he joked about how he treats his staff at home. I wouldn't work for him.

Kenny just won't admit that he's not as talented as some of the others. Not only has he not been winning, his dishes have been in the bottom more than once. Per his comments it seems he thinks because of his status and time in the chef field he assumes he must be better than the others with less experience or who are younger than he. A palate is something that you either have or you don't. I don't think it can be learned. It may be enhanced perhaps. I think that's why Gordon Ramsey always works harder for the contestants that have a good palate. I'm glad to see Kenny and his ego gone from this competition.

I'm also finding it hard to really warm up to any of these chefs. They just seem to be missing personalities. I think Kelly is my favorite, but that may be by default. I do like Tiffany too. She seems good and she's at least funny.

Kenny started really impressive & he seemed like the one to watch, but he hasn't performed at that level ever since.

I'd like to think that all the contestants on Top Chef are very, very good chefs - after all, they've beaten thousands of applicants to land a spot on the show. Even if the producers are casting for certain personality types, I'm sure they've got plenty of hopefuls to choose from, and they chose the ones we see.

But the Amandas and Alexes really boggle the mind, I think. They really seem inept.

In past seasons, I've salivated wondering how some of the food tastes but this season no one has made an impression on me.

Almost makes me want to see Marcel back on my screen . . .

FORT Fogey

I think it's safe to assume that this show has less Bravo producer intervention than all the others, because it holds such esteem in the actual cooking community.

I think Amanda really has lucked out because the judges know she's not making the top three, the other contestants know it, and now it's just a matter of time. When Kenny puts out a bad dish, it's a bigger deal because he's capable of so much more. Amanda just all-around sucks.

I think Kevin's team had a right to be frustrated and feel like the other team played by the rules. In theory, if the person in the front of the house doesn't have to do a dish, they can just stick the worst guy in the front and forget him. However, Kelly did both a fantastic job in the front of the house and created a desert they all liked.

If Kevin's team had instead focused their ire on Amanda, noting that Kenny had to spend time helping her with the grill, that Kelly had TOLD her that she was overcooking the meat at the beginning and she didn't fix it, Amanda would have gone home. At least, that's what I think.

I don't get why everyone thinks Alex is such a bad chef. He seems like he might be a jerk, but he's only been in the bottom once, and he's been in the top 3 a few times.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jlccaz;4035090;
    I feel like they've changed producers or editors or casting agents this season. The show has lots its sizzle, and the aired version of what happens leaves a sour taste every week --what we are shown doesn't explain or support the eliminations.

Even the judges seem off their game this season. An aside in the eye candy department: my husband (huge Padma fan) thinks she looks a wreck every week. I said (of course), give her a break, we all look a wreck when we're thinking about breastfeeding and sleeping or waking infants!
    Yeah, the casting definitely seems off. The quality of the chefs is more like what's seen on Next Food Network Star or Chopped, rather than what we've come to expect from past seasons of Top Chef.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkCityGirl;4038294;
    Yeah, the casting definitely seems off. The quality of the chefs is more like what's seen on Next Food Network Star or Chopped, rather than what we've come to expect from past seasons of Top Chef.
    I agree with this! By this point in the season I usually have my favorites picked out and who I'm sure will make the final 4. I'm just starting to kind of like Tiffany and Ed and that's about it. I feel like I don't really know the rest of them or that any of them have been stand-outs. Angelo bugs me but at least seems to be a good chef. I was disappointed that Kenny went, but like many have said, it's not like he's been in the top spot every week. More often then not he's in the middle or at the bottom. He clearly thought more of himself then how he really was performing.

Another problem, I really wish they would consistently have the same three judges each week. I thought Eric Ruipart (sp?) was going to be on every week. I don't mind having a guest judge, but consistent judges would help as well. Also, I don't feel like Padma should have any part in the voting process since she is the host.

Alas, I miss the days of Harold and Stephen.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;4038348;
    Also, I don't feel like Padma should have any part in the voting process since she is the host.
    It's never been my impression that Padma is a judge. She's hosting the show, and she does make commentary - but at judges' table she's usually just asking the judges for their input. I don't think/never have thought that she gets a vote.

Am I wrong about this?
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

FORT Fogey

You might be wrong, but I agree, I've never felt like they took her opinion particularly seriously. I can't imagine her opinion overriding Tom's, for example.

I don't understand what would be the problem with her voting if she's the host though? I'm genuinely curious as to why you feel that way.

She definitely gives input into the final decisions, otherwise she wouldn't sit there with them for hours while they deliberate. Tom has the final say and is the tiebreaker. Her title is Host, but as far as I've read and observed she is involved in the judging.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast