+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top Chef 7: 6/30 Show Discussion *spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: Top Chef 7: 6/30 Show Discussion *spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;3960233;
    It does affect the palate. Gordon Ramsey loathes it when chef's do it. However, it's a common fact that a good majority of chef's smoke. Think on those quickfires where they are blindfolded and doing taste tests.
    Well.... if I were working for Gordon Ramsey, I'd smoke, too!!

Anthony Bourdain, who is on this show quite often, and is always enjoyable, smokes. He's been interviewed about it a lot, and whether it affects his cooking. He says no. I don't know how that would work though.

I think lots of chefs smoke because it's a pretty high-stress job.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;3960646;
    Well.... if I were working for Gordon Ramsey, I'd smoke, too!!

Anthony Bourdain, who is on this show quite often, and is always enjoyable, smokes. He's been interviewed about it a lot, and whether it affects his cooking. He says no. I don't know how that would work though.

I think lots of chefs smoke because it's a pretty high-stress job.
    Bourdain actually quit smoking a while back, when his child was born. I don't think it was an easy transition for him, based on some of his comments in interviews and on his show.
    Do you worry that smoking dulls your palate? —Anthony Dauer, Annandale, Va.
    I'm amused by food nerds who say, "I'd never eat at a restaurant where the chef smokes." Almost all the chefs I know smoke. That said, I'm also a new father of a 6-month-old girl. I don't want to encourage anyone to quit smoking. In my experience, it really does make you cool. Chicks love it. But after 38 years, I quit.
    10 Questions for Anthony Bourdain - TIME
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 07-02-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

"It really does make you cool. Chicks love it."

Yep, nothing like hugging a guy who smells like old tobacco and kissing someone who tastes like an ashtray.

No thanks!

FORT Fan

Anthony Bourdain may be a famous chef. But some of his opinions are very immature and primitive just like thinking that smoking is cool and attractive to chics. He was on Larry King Live once discussing meat-eating vs vegetarianism. His argument in support of meat-eating was that the human body is designed to be carnivorous - the eyes, the fingernails and the teeth in the front of human body designed to catch, rip and bite into smaller stupider animals. I thought that it was a very primitive explanation when human beings have been through so many thousands of years of civilization and evolution. I was thinking "Why do men shave their facial hair, if it was designed to grow and stay on their faces?". One can ask so many similar questions why we do things against nature or train and bend nature to our own liking. But that is another topic of discussion. Another argument Anthony made was that meat-eating gives pleasure. It may be true (but not for all people) yet a simplistic argument to make in a panel of experts.

Well, that's who Bourdain is. It's not a safe, pre-approved, sanitized world view. He's never asked people to look at him as a role model. I don't think any writer worth his salt can worry about being PC, or self-censoring.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Anthony Bourdain is very dry and sarcastic. What he said was a joke.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123