Thread: Alex Reznik - Top Chef 7

Alex Reznik - Top Chef 7

Alex Reznik
    Contestant, Top Chef 7

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY – currently resides in Hollywood, CA
    Profession: Executive Chef, Ivan Kane’s Café Was
    Culinary Education: AOS, Le Cordon Bleu in Las Vegas, NV
    Favorite Recipe: Avocado panna cotta with pickled ramps and tomato

Growing up in Brooklyn, the son of a first-generation European family, food was an integral part of Alex's early life. Watching his Russian mother and grandmother cooking in preparation for the daily ritual of good food and conversation set Alex on a path towards creative cooking. After travelling extensively throughout Europe, Alex found himself working in Las Vegas at the legendary, five-star restaurant, Lutecé. During his tenure as chef at multiple Bally's/Paris resort restaurants, Alex met famed nightlife entrepreneur, Ivan Kane. The two discovered a shared philosophy for great food and impeccable service. Thus was born Hollywood's Ivan Kane's Cafe Was. Alex's philosophy is to marry local, seasonal ingredients with classic French techniques to create honest, Californian bistro cuisine. Today, in the kitchen or dining room, Alex's passion for his craft is lauded by loyal customers and critics alike.

Official Bravo Bio Page

FORT Fogey

Re: Alex Reznik - Top Chef 7

Phil Stacey, is that you?

Interesting interview with Stephen where he defends Alex in the PeaGate scandal:
    TVGuide.com: OK, back to the pea puree scandal. What's your take?
    Stephen: With all the drama with Alex, I was still close with him. I know he didn't steal Ed's pea puree. Ed either didn't bring it, or it got lost. I even told Ed I blame myself for it because me, Ed and Angelo shared a cooler that day, and I was the first one in the cooler and pulled some of my ingredients out and maybe I didn't put his pea puree back in. I thought I did. I honestly know Alex, and I know he didn't steal it. And I'm probably the only one who's going to say that, so make sure you write that in big, bold letters. [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: So you saw him make it?
    Stephen: No, I did not see him make it. But we're in a battle there. You have to be laser-focused on what you do. You're thinking about what you're doing next and what you're plating. There's no room to be like, "Oh look, Alex is making pea puree. Hey, what else you doing, Alex? Maybe you should put some salt in it." You really don't have time.
    I think Stephen's being a little naive, but hey, I wasn't there...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Well it seems like Stephen and Alex are close friends. As he is standing by Alex. But we have yet to hear from the so-called pea stealer himself!
    Happy NFL Training Camp!

I guess we'll never know the true story of Pea Gate, so i can't really hold that against him.
    What I really didn't like was how he treated the wait staff assigned to help him when he hosted the restaurant wars, along with Kelly last week.
    not at all professional and showed he has no class, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Alex does seem to be kind of a jerk, but I don't think he stole the peas. More likely he stole the idea of doing a pea puree and Ed's got left behind. The producers amped up the drama. Remember the confessionals we see, topics are sometimes suggested to contestants. Like, "Do you think Alex stole your pea puree?"

Not sad at all to see Alex gone. But not ready to brand him a thief.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Amanda stated in a interview that Alex did not steal the peas. He made his at a station next to hers. Something the Powers that Be decided NOT to show us...

Really kind of annoyed that they trashed this guy by not clearing it up. I still don't "like" him, but he didn't deserve that. Having it be a controversy for one ep, ok. Having it continue without vindicating him, not ok.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

I agree, I think Alex got a bad rep. He kind of came off as a jerk, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Must suck to be trashed ALL season long.

+ Reply to Thread