+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 12/09 Season Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 12/09 Season Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Apparently from Tom's Blog the editing made it look a lot closer than it was. Remember that the producers choose which comments we see good or bad and they say good and bad things about every person's dish. So if they don't show us the good or bad comments for a dish, we are left to believe that one dish was perfect and the other dish sucked. Kevin took round 1, Mike took rounds 2 and 3 (beat Bryan's venison by a hair) and Bryan took round 4.

So Mike wins.

Also in a interview with Tom prior to airing of the show, he quoted Mike as saying that he was a better cook than Bryan, but Bryan was a better chef than him. (ETA: That sounds like a accurate assessment.)
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovefootball;3766058;
    I was disappointed with the results. I thought Kevin would/should win. Oh well. I haven't agreed with the chosen winner since Season 1.
    The company in the Top Chef winners bracket isn't all that great except for Harold and Hung and possibly Stephanie Izzard.

Kevin may be better off at the booze-cuz, but my heart still breaks that he didn't win.

FORT Fan

My only request was for Michael not to be the winner... so the end result isn't one I'm happy about.

Michael hasn't been shown as anything other than a miserable, insufferable, arrogant, off-putting egomaniac. At least Bryan got more human near the end of the season.
    This is not a signature.

FORT Regular

Although I favored Kevin to win, I do think Michael winning the Top Chef is well deserved. He is arguably the most creative and takes risks which I like. His attitude on the show did not bother me as I think what we see on TV is not representative of what a person truly is. It is all about TV editting. So congrats to Michael.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;3766306;
    My only request was for Michael not to be the winner... so the end result isn't one I'm happy about.

Michael hasn't been shown as anything other than a miserable, insufferable, arrogant, off-putting egomaniac. At least Bryan got more human near the end of the season.
    I completely agree with you. I wanted Kevin to win, but would have been okay with Bryan winning. Michael winning is a HUGE disappointment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;3766134;
    Also in a interview with Tom prior to airing of the show, he quoted Mike as saying that he was a better cook than Bryan, but Bryan was a better chef than him. (ETA: That sounds like a accurate assessment.)
    I guess that makes sense ... I would think more people would want to work for Bryan than for Michael.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I was disappointed in the finale, as it just seemed more of the same and not an intense head to head, well rounded presenation of each chef's style and ability.

I just can't help but wonder if production decided upon a three-way, part two finale to accommodate the expectation that the final two might very well be two brothers.

Mostly, it was disheartening to watch Keven trip over himself the episode after Jen cut for being unfamiliar and heavy handed with flaked salt.

Huh...what did I miss? The judges clearly liked Kevin's first course. They liked 2 of Bryan's dishes, the venison and the desert, I know that Michael also had one of the best courses. So it seemed clear that Bryan won. So how did Michael end up being the Top Chef?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Tom says in his blog that Kevin won first course, Bryan won the last course and Mike won 2nd and 3rd course. He beat out Bryan's venison course.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

It really did sound like they were practically licking their plates with Bryan's Venison dish...
    so:
    Kevin won the first course with the squash love.
    Bryan won dessert--Michael said himself that his cake was crap.
    Michael won the second course.
    Bryan's Venison was amazing but Michael's was spectacular too? It was sooooo close? Uh-huh.

Sounds to me like the brothers were basically tied--and TPTB have pulled a fast one on us.
    Also, anyone else notice how the other critics/experts often disagreed with Tom? I found that very interesting. I wish we had some bigger fans here who could document all the discrepancies...makes me go HMMMM(?)

Side note, I knew from the beginning that Michael had won because they showed clips of him commenting on the finale much LATER-as indicated by the growth of his hair (a good inch or two, and he was in another outfit). Good job, producers...this isn't our first spin on the reality train, you morons.

Last thought--how about not giving the contestants crappy sous chefs and silly parameters for the FINAL CHALLENGE? Let them be chefs and work with decent products and people (preferably ones that can chop vegetables). Then we will know who is really the TOP CHEF...not who won the luck of the draw and happened to get ingredients he/she was more familiar with, or whatever else they like to throw out. Let them cook!
    Last edited by mindy384; 12-12-2009 at 12:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast